Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Am I ready for a new build? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/51315-am-i-ready-new-build.html)

dlpowered89 February 5, 2012 10:17 PM

Am I ready for a new build?

Hey guys!

I currently own this computer:

Everything is enclosed in Fractal Design R3 (Black)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (G0 Stepping)
Corsair H50 Cooler for LGA775
Asus P5Q-Pro Motherboard.
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 RAM (Not sure of exact model for now)
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560 Ti.
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W

I know it's a stupid reason but I recently came across Corsair 650D and it really persuaded me to make another rig.

This is what I am thinking.

Intel i5 2500k
Corsair H100
Asus P8Z68-V Pro GEN3
G.Skill Ripjaw 2x4GB DDR3-1600 Ram
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560 Ti. (Re-using what I have for now)
OCZ 850W 80+ Gold PSU

What do you think?

P.S The only reason why I chose more juicier PSU this time was because I have a plan to SLI my GPU in the future and I have 6 drives in total to power.

moocow February 5, 2012 11:09 PM

I don't know if building a new rig is like giving birth to a child.

IMO, I would wait until Ivy Bridge comes out before committing to a new rig. With a few months to go, better to wait than pull your hair outs screaming at your new yet slower rig that costed about the same. The parts you have listed is pretty standard build so you can't exactly go wrong. However, can you reuse the H50 and PSU? I would stay away from anything that got an OCZ label on it simply due my crap poor RMA experience with their RAM. Your current PSU should be enough I think.

Silent_Avenger February 5, 2012 11:13 PM

The cpu alone is a pretty decent bump and people have been able to get those to pretty high ghz as well. I personally wouldn't go OCZ your older PCP&C would probably be a better psu stick with corsair/seasonic/xfx/antec. Also are you planing on doing SLI in the future or are you just going to run 1 card because 850w is a little overkill. Also Ivy Bridge will be out in the near future as well.

Here's a chart I managed to find hope it helps you: AnandTech - Bench - CPU

dlpowered89 February 6, 2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger (Post 598809)
The cpu alone is a pretty decent bump and people have been able to get those to pretty high ghz as well. I personally wouldn't go OCZ your older PCP&C would probably be a better psu stick with corsair/seasonic/xfx/antec. Also are you planing on doing SLI in the future or are you just going to run 1 card because 850w is a little overkill. Also Ivy Bridge will be out in the near future as well.

Here's a chart I managed to find hope it helps you: AnandTech - Bench - CPU

First of all, thank you for your honest comments.

Although I never SLIed anything myself, that is my plan once my current GPU can't handle games with all of eye candy features. I am not a heavy gamer but I do like to play FPS from time to time and I want my computer to support it.

Maybe it's better to re-use my old PSU and consider getting a new one when I purchase another GPU. The reason why I decided on OCZ was because I wanted to try a modular PSU that didnt cost too much money.

Dragonstongue February 6, 2012 01:13 PM

Seasonic X-760, corsair HX750, XFX 750 are so much better power supplies, a 750 should do fine even for a slight overclock on the 560s, an i7 920 high overclock with dual 480 overclocked will pull around 650-680w, so with a GOOD 750 youll be ok.

Also, in regards to the H100, it is overkill, an H50 with push/pull, H60 same or H70 same will be plenty sufficent. Its your $, but by far the 2500k truly does not need that level of cooler, its not a 3980x or Bulldozer, it draws much less power, even when overclocked to the wall.

You said you came across a 650D does that mean you now have it, or you were thinking of getting it? if the getting it part, there really is an awfull lot of really sweet cases out there, 650d is a nice case for sure, but I wager, if you look hard enough, you may find a equivalent/better one for probably cheaper to boot :)

SLI/Crossfire is nice to have the extra performance, for sure, but you honestly would be better off to just stick with single gpus, less likely to have issues, do not have to deal with power or for that matter temperature issues :O
If I were to go out and get a new card, Radeon 7970/7950 or wait to see what Nvidia releases next. 560Ti are wonderfull cards, but if you are enjoying your games currently, it may not be the gpu that cannot handle them, 560Ti can 99% max out BF3 wiith the proper cpu in a decent system, so Ivy bridge, or overclock what you have, that should help it ALOT :)

Lsv February 6, 2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonstongue (Post 599012)
Seasonic X-760, corsair HX750, XFX 750 are so much better power supplies, a 750 should do fine even for a slight overclock on the 560s, an i7 920 high overclock with dual 480 overclocked will pull around 650-680w, so with a GOOD 750 youll be ok.

Also, in regards to the H100, it is overkill, an H50 with push/pull, H60 same or H70 same will be plenty sufficent. Its your $, but by far the 2500k truly does not need that level of cooler, its not a 3980x or Bulldozer, it draws much less power, even when overclocked to the wall.

You said you came across a 650D does that mean you now have it, or you were thinking of getting it? if the getting it part, there really is an awfull lot of really sweet cases out there, 650d is a nice case for sure, but I wager, if you look hard enough, you may find a equivalent/better one for probably cheaper to boot :)

SLI/Crossfire is nice to have the extra performance, for sure, but you honestly would be better off to just stick with single gpus, less likely to have issues, do not have to deal with power or for that matter temperature issues :O
If I were to go out and get a new card, Radeon 7970/7950 or wait to see what Nvidia releases next. 560Ti are wonderfull cards, but if you are enjoying your games currently, it may not be the gpu that cannot handle them, 560Ti can 99% max out BF3 wiith the proper cpu in a decent system, so Ivy bridge, or overclock what you have, that should help it ALOT :)

I was just about to write about changing the OCZ for a Seasonic or Corsair. Thumbs up.

dlpowered89 February 6, 2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonstongue (Post 599012)

Thank you for your response.

I am not sure if H50 has a bracket for 1155 chipset though. I'll check and see if it does.

I haven't purchased 650D yet, but I think its a beautiful case. I came from P182, Fractal Design R3 so you know what kind of cases I am looking for. I just want something simple, not something that looks like it will launch in a few sec.

What would you recommend for a case then? The cheapest 650D I could find was $150 incl. tax.

Silent_Avenger February 6, 2012 09:44 PM

The H50's rad is a little thin meaning it probably wouldn't be much better than a good air cooler I would at least go with an H80(thicker rad) which also has a lower profile pump/sink to prevent clearance issues. I would still prefer the H100 for looks since the thicker rads on the H70/H80 in a push pull config can look very bulky. But really it's all up to you even if you don't plan on overclocking much the H70/H80/H100 are still worth getting because you can run fans a little slower than on an air cooler meaning a quieter system. As for the case HWC rates the Corsair Carbide 500R very highly which is only about $130 at ncix.ca. Corsair Carbide 500R Case Review - YouTube

dlpowered89 February 6, 2012 10:22 PM

I see thanks. As for the case though, I am not sure if 500R is necessary as 650D can be obtained for a similar price range.

Silent_Avenger February 6, 2012 11:09 PM

Ok then maybe something like a CM storm Scout?

Coolermaster Storm Scout Black ATX Tower Case 5X5.25 5X3.5INT 120MM & 140MM Red LED Fan No PSU - COOLERMASTER - SGC-2000-KKN1-GP

or a BitFenix Raider?

Bitfenix Raider Steel Black ATX USB3.0 Mid Tower Case 4X5.25 6X3.25 7X2.5 W/ 3X120MM Spectre Fans - BitFenix - BFC-RDR-300-KKN1-RP

Kinda hard to shop for a case based on looks since people have their own preference. Just like how I like the looks of the CM Cosmos S while others don't.