Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   GPU opinions (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/51089-gpu-opinions.html)

TheShorterBus January 30, 2012 08:11 AM

GPU opinions

So I just finished building my new desktop last week, and have one part left, the GPU. Now currently running off an ancient card just so I have something for web, torrents, etc. Now my concerns are regarding what to purchase, and whether to wait. I dont have alot of money right now, but it wouldn't take long to save 600 or so. anyways so lets get to it, Radeon has their new 7970, and the 7950 comes out soon, also Kepler has yet to be announced. That is alot of options on the top end, my concern is all I need to play is BF3 at 1080P, and Im not adding monitors, and thier are lower cards with this ability, and I hear maxwell is being released 2013 and its going to be a huge difference. now i know every new GPU will be better than the last, but what i mean are games going to require much more that what BF3 does this gen? should i just get a 3/400 $ card, and wait till games actually require such gpus on the top end? I probably make no sense, but im at work so had to type this up fast. anyways all opinions are welcome, thanks.

Processor: 2nd Gen Intel i7-2700K
Motherboard: Intel Extreme Series DP67BG Board
RAM: 16GB (4X4GB DDR3) G.Skill Ripjaw
Optical Drive: ASUS 24X DVD Optical Drive
Video Card:
Solid State Drive: Kingston V100 64GB (Boot Drive)
Hard Drive: WD 250GB 7200RPM / GoflexPro 7200
Computer Case: Zantac Z9 Plus
Optional Cooling: Corsair H50 CPU Cooler
Power Supply: Corsair TX850
Accessories: Antec Easyswap 5.25 USM

Arinoth January 30, 2012 08:19 AM

Well right now the 7970 can handle absolutely everything that can be thrown at it with regards to 1080p (and 2560 x 1440). It may be the most expensive, but right now it should be able to handle games for a while. Another good alternative, if you want to save money would be going with a 6970, again for the added vRAM over nvidia. If you want to go team green, then your best bet is getting a 580.

TheShorterBus January 30, 2012 08:29 AM

suppose I could go with 6970, then upgrade to crossfire in near future. but then again, single GPU is just so much easier, for cooling, drivers, compatibility. my il just wait till kepler comes out, see if it out performs the 7970 and make a decision then.

Arinoth January 30, 2012 08:33 AM

Yep, it all depends on how long you can wait. It had sounded like you wanted to pick it up soon, but if you can wait see what nVidia has to offer with Kepler and make your decision then.

TheShorterBus January 30, 2012 08:37 AM

well I do want it soon, but I "can wait". I atleast have game consoles to hold me over with my gaming needs.

Bond007 January 30, 2012 08:56 AM

Pretty much guaranteed that Nvidia will have something that beats the 7970, but how long you have to wait for it is the question. If you can wait, then why not. If you need a card now with your budget and wants I would say a GTX 570/HD 6970/GTX 580/HD7970 would all serve you well. The only problem could be the 1.28 GB ram on the 570 (unless you get the 2.5 Gb version). Its really your call on if you want it now or later, and what you really want to spend on your graphics card.

Xuryfluous January 30, 2012 10:41 AM

If your sticking with a single card solution, I would reccomend getting a 560ti 448 core. I was currently in the same boat looking for a new gpu, and the 448 core is pretty much neck and neck with the 570 and they are quite capable overclockers, pushing it above the 570. added bonus is that they are usually around 40 cheaper than the 570s, that should definitely last you until maxwell comes out

Dragonstongue January 30, 2012 02:26 PM

well, if Kepler is faster, it will also be more $ or AMD will drop thiers in price(they wont have much of a choice) the 7950 are going to be launched apprently on the 31st(als faster then the 580s) with the 7870/7850 following in Feb. I would hold out just a bit longer and see what becomes available.

As an individual, I do not use crossfire/sli, I dont believe in spending twice the amount for not gaining twice the performance :P
(btw 7870 is supposed to be as fast as the 6970, but much less power hungry, less costly, and still a very awesome overclocker-apprently around the $280 mark)