Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2012, 03:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Evaluate my pc

Kind of a cliche for a new member to join in and ask this but I've been doubting my recent purchase.

Currently im running an old AMD x2 5000+ BE Oc to 3.2 an M2n plus Sli Vista Edition 8 gb corsair 800mhz ram with a ATI HD6870

Power supply is an OCZ Gamer X-stream 850watt.

As with most of everyone budget is key so i don't upgrade to often and seeing as i really want to play BF3 i needed a new PC.

Here is what i ordered

MB: Crosshair Formula V (tried to grab a mobo to be ready for future CPU development)

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 975 BE

G.Skil Ripjaw 2x4GB 1600

also went and got a h100 from corsair and a new case the old antec 900

anyways i plan to reuse my power supply and video card till some prices drop on the higher end cards, but with some hope i should be able to play BF3 at 60 fps stable with some good Eye candy.

Thanks for your thoughts an input.

ps yes i do plan to OC the 975 quite a bit
Old January 30, 2012, 04:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That is a very decent upgrade, but you are basicly going for stuck in terms of future development since this CPU line is EOL(or will be very soon). Sure you can go with the FX CPU for now, but there is no telling what will happen to those and for now the 975 BE is not far(if not ahead) of the FX-8150. So, for AMD's side of things, this is pretty good (debatable if an X6 would have been better). Now depending on your budget and how much you paid for it, maybe you would have been better off with an i5-2500k.

Reusing your GPU is a great idea, either way it was being bottlenecked by your old CPU.
Old January 30, 2012, 05:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

All in all for the CPU MB Ram was 462 shipped purolator. the H100 and case plus a new optic drive just shy of 300.

I am kind of hoping they fix their bulldozers to be better performing chips but who knows how long that will take.

I mostly only game and don't do to much video editing/encoding so that was the reason i did not go for the 1100T BE as well as the budget has been a little tight these past years.

I am a little concerned about the psu, I do want to run crossfire in the near future and I don't know if it will be able to handle all this new tech
OCZ GameXStream 850W Power Supply *EOL - OCZ

I may switch over to intel , when their prices go down

Thank you for you time.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a new member, so it may be worth taking some extra precautions, but that deal would have been better: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...1600-more.html

As for your PSU, it should handle x-fire 6870 without problems, but as you will notice OCZ isn't the most well regarded PSU brand here. Corsair, Antec, Seasonic are usually of much better quality. Of course there are some series which are good quality, but that's just to keep things simple. As for wattage, a quality 850w is more than enough for x fire 6870, a quality 750 watt should also be plenty.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:17 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

No doubt that is a good deal for used components, but with all things electronic, i like guarantees if anything were to fail.

Thanks again Kilauea
Old January 30, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There is nothing wrong with what you bought, but the bottom line is intel products are currently destroying AMD (especially in gaming). Tomshardware just put out a gaming CPU review and an i3 2100 gets better FPS then a phenom II x4 980 overall. With your budget I would have gone with 8gb ram/p67 or z68 based motherboard/ and an i5 2400/2500k.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 30, 2012, 11:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Well everything finally arrived and its all running A1.

No doubt Intel has the edge on the competition now, I'm kind of an AMD fanboy so shoot me lol

Really liking the water cooling too, idle of 29C and 45 under load, not to shabby considering my old rig idled at 45C

Thanks again for the re assurance, i may do another rig in the coming years with intel products.
Old January 30, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickpuppy View Post
Well everything finally arrived and its all running A1.

No doubt Intel has the edge on the competition now, I'm kind of an AMD fanboy so shoot me lol

Really liking the water cooling too, idle of 29C and 45 under load, not to shabby considering my old rig idled at 45C

Thanks again for the re assurance, i may do another rig in the coming years with intel products.
No worries. There is nothing wrong to sticking with what you like. Its still a fast enough CPU. Glad to hear its up and running.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb