Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2012, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you just need a regular TV tuner with Analog video inputs to capture from your Bell satellite receiver but I would suggest getting one like the ATI Theater 550 which has a breakout box for the inputs. Also this tuner has a chip for hardware video encoding for MPEG2. Hauppage cards are also good, they are used massively on commercial HP systems. You have a tv tuner review here http://www.anandtech.com/show/1661/9 .
Consider getting a SSD as boot drive, I have Win7 Ultimate x64 on a 30GB and there is space left after installing a few programs. The Seagate you have is good for storage but don't make it a boot drive.
Old January 31, 2012, 07:43 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
you just need a regular TV tuner with Analog video inputs to capture from your Bell satellite receiver but I would suggest getting one like the ATI Theater 550 which has a breakout box for the inputs. Also this tuner has a chip for hardware video encoding for MPEG2. Hauppage cards are also good, they are used massively on commercial HP systems. You have a tv tuner review here http://www.anandtech.com/show/1661/9 .
Consider getting a SSD as boot drive, I have Win7 Ultimate x64 on a 30GB and there is space left after installing a few programs. The Seagate you have is good for storage but don't make it a boot drive.
Will that be able to capture HD feeds?
Old February 1, 2012, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No. HD video feeds are difficult to obtain, I think there are some receivers, especially Motorola from Shaw that do not have the firewire port crippled and like that you can get the HD programming. Usually TV receivers downgrade everything to SD when copying something. Unless you capture HD video feeds OTA I don't know any other way.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:26 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Man o man I never thought I would say this EVER but I am glad I have Comcast
Old February 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You should be able to capture Hi-def using the component outputs from your receiver I would think...That can only give you 720p or 1080i, not 1080p, but there should not be HDCP on the components so it should be useable. Then any hidef cap card that can use component inputs would work.

Edit: Buy the Hauppauge Colossus PCI Express HD PVR at TigerDirect.ca for example

or maybe this?? Buy the AverMedia MTVUHDDVR AVerTV USB HD DVR at TigerDirect.ca

Last edited by Razamatraz; February 1, 2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old February 1, 2012, 12:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

for a media pc 2tb is kinda overkill unless it is going to be your main daily use computer. Just grab like a 90-120gb ssd that way you can install windows, and still have room for some movies too. and i definitely agree with greatbigabyss about getting an APU