Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2012, 03:24 AM
Rookie

Default Upgrading!

Hello~! I've been searching around for parts to upgrade my computer but I'm not particularly tech savvy, although I know some very, very simple stuff.

Well, I've chosen my parts but I'm a natural worrier so I've been going back and forth checking stuff and wondering if it all fits and stuff.

My budget is about 700$, although you'll have to round that off to 500$ - which I know is ridiculous from videos I've seen. But I'm not buying a graphics card, Hard Drive, or new power supply since I know that stuff should be alright (Although it WOULD be better to upgrade it, I cannot unfortunately - money issue)
The reason for a 500$ budget is because 200$ of it is going to a case, which would be 100$ but the shipping is going to double the price unfortunately.

-- I'll list my current specs; When it comes to the RAM part I'm just gonna copy and paste from Speccy since I use two different RAMs.
Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ 2.59ghz
Quote:
Type DDR2
Size 3072 MBytes
Channels # Single
DRAM Frequency 324.2 MHz

1GB Nanya, 2GB Kingston
Acer F690GVM Motherboard
Nvidia GeForce GTX 275
Basic AMD Stock Fan; Direct input to PSU for 3500 RPM
Now what I want to upgrade to...

Quote:
Intel Core i7 2600K
Corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3; 1600mhz, 9-9-9-24
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard, LGA1155 Intel Z68 chipset, 4 x DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GTX 275
Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
Video cards are really expensive and this video card was a gift from a friend so I can't throw it out. I'm not really fond on a new Hard Drive since this one has enough space for me and I'd rather not start fresh.
The case I have now however needs to be replaced because the side panel is off exposing it to like, everything, and the case I'm getting has a handle so I can transport it around since I take it to my friends everytime I go so it needs to stay in the budget.

I don't plan to overclock, anything because I hear that it takes away the life expectancy of the hard ware and it will increase the temperature. The reason I went with the Frio is because I want something cheap but can give effective cooling to my CPU because the temperature here hits as high as 35C (95F) that I'm afraid it might over heat and burn out because of this darned weather.
I saw that the Frio has a manual toggle for the fans as well so I intend to put both fans on and crank it to about full so it can stay cool.

One of my main concerns about the parts I was getting was the motherboard mixed with the frio. There's two triangle things near the CPU (Heatsink bridges I think they're called?) that I thought might get in the way, though a YouTube unboxing 'Christmas video', the poster had the motherboard and the Frio and said that they fit, 'though are a little tight' which I'm okay with as long as it fits.

I also heard that this motherboard is a doozy when it comes to over clocking but as stated I don't intend to... but it was hard to judge on the reviews since every single review I ever see is about 'how high can i over clock this until it becomes a nuclear star' which doesn't help.

The main usage for this computer is designed for gaming. I'm sure whoever is reading this is now probably facepalming saying 'oh dang you expect to make a gaming machine out of this junk?' but I'm okay with playing things on low detail, and 30 frames is actually a Godsend to me for games. I've had this computer for a year, previous to that I was running 15 frames average in games so 40 frames is so smooth to me but obviously the higher the better.
I heard the i5 2500k was best for gaming but I also like doing other stuff such as maybe recording with Fraps or viewing YouTube videos at a decent frame, Photoshop maybe (though at the moment on these specs photoshop is fine); nothing like, Music Production or Game producing. I just figure if I spent the extra 100$ to get an i7 it'd help me in computing overall, and that I'd be able to alt tab out of games without going back into them to see a 90% dip in frame rate.

My friend says he has the same stuff as I'm getting, well, not EXACT besides the CPU, but he has 8GB DDR3 and i7 2600k and so such, so forth. Not sure what motherboard he has - HOWEVER he keeps telling me 'when you upgrade you should be running games like this!', at the time he was playing Skyrim everything on high with 70 frames; but he doesn't exactly think about bottle necking and stuff, he just goes 'it SHOULD work' - 'cause he has a GTX 560 or something in the 5 series which is like double my graphics card.

Upon a few benchmarks, not... big name ones... the most I can tell you is,
Quote:
22.1 FPS Avg, Lost Planet Scene B High Detail
24.3 FPS Avg, Lost Planet Scene B Low Detai

38.8 FPS Avg, Lost Planet Scene A High Detail
48.2 FPS Avg, Lost Planet Scene A Low Detail
Stalker: CoP Benchmark
And Tribes Ascend 25 FPS average, 15 during combat.

My native resolution is 1680x1050.
I don't expect to be running Battlefield 3 on super high end details with 1680x reso on 60 frames but I'd like to be able to run games LIKE it with some decent frames, preferably over 30. From Dust, Bad Company 2, TF2, Dead Island, Saints Row The Third - Stuff like that.

So... I guess to say is this an okay upgrade for what price I'm going at? Is it going to be a moderate upgrade from what I have or will I be disappointed in the end?
I feel as if my standards are too high and that I'll be disappointed since 50$ is a LOT of money for me, none the less 700$.

Feedback would be nice thanks... sorry I rambled on.
Old January 27, 2012, 03:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Ok well first off unless you're doing very heavily threaded apps like video encoding a 2600k is probably overkill. A 2500k will be fine even if you want to have music etc running while playing games. Also you keep mentioning that you're not going to overclock(even though you should consider it farther in the future) so save even more money by buying non 'K' versions of the intel chips like the regular i5 2500. Also if you aren't going to overclock you could probably go with a slightly cheaper motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3. The memory is probably overkill as well 1333mhz should be fine if you're running a system at stock speeds.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 27, 2012, 04:45 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the fast response! =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Ok well first off unless you're doing very heavily threaded apps like video encoding a 2600k is probably overkill. A 2500k will be fine even if you want to have music etc running while playing games.
A video I saw just now said that '100$ for hyper threading isn't worth it when the i5 brings games to its knees'. For that effect though with the i5, do you have to overclock it or does its default stomp on the i7?

Quote:
Also you keep mentioning that you're not going to overclock(even though you should consider it farther in the future) so save even more money by buying non 'K' versions of the intel chips like the regular i5 2500.
I'm not sure how much over clocking is going to affect gaming, how much it will add to my frames, but it's really, REALLY off putting when I think about over clocking because every time I see over clocking it becomes 'I can make my CPU become a microwave!' which is not the effect I want. Specifically by how hot it gets here. If the weather didn't get so atrociously hot here it'd seem like an OKAY idea... because it's also a computer I wanna be using for the next 2, 3 years or so. Maybe less - and I'm really concerned about how much life span over clocking will take out. Will it explode next year? That's way too soon. 2 years, even.

When it comes to over clocking, the higher in Ghz you go the more hotter it goes? I always see the i5 going 'a whopping 4.8ghz', and i'm not sure how much different 1 Ghz makes exactly in terms of frames, but 4.5ghz sounds good for overclocking an i5.
I also went with the K version for the i7 because the difference between 2600 and 2600k, from a video said that the K version had 3000 HD graphics chip or something where 2600 had 2000. Every graphic chip helps right?

Quote:
Also if you aren't going to overclock you could probably go with a slightly cheaper motherboard like the Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 ATX LGA1155 P67 DDR3.
I can't find that model from the site I'm buying from but honestly I do not mind spending this much for the motherboard since it's said to upgradeable, not that I'll upgrade more anytime soon but you know~
If the i5 is superior to the i7 for gaming then that'll save me a 100$ to get a different motherboard capable of over clocking better, right? 'Cause I hear the Extreme3 Gen 3 mobo, despite having overclocking capabilities, is a real dingy with over clocking and that it doesn't go as far as people want it to.

Quote:
The memory is probably overkill as well 1333mhz should be fine if you're running a system at stock speeds
This RAM I'll keep unless there's something in par with it for the same price or so. It may be overkill but for an extra 4$ it goes from 1333mhz to 1600mhz with the same latency.
Old January 27, 2012, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

First off a big question is...Where on earth or you buying a case from that is going to rip you off for $100 shipping...that is insane. Where are you located? If you are in Canada look at NCIX.com and memoryexpress.com to get you started. Both places will pricematch other sites for pricing. NCIX often has free shipping for your order if you buy certain products and memoryexpress has flat rate shipping of $8.99 if its under 50 pounds.

Now that that is out of the way I agree that you should go for an i5 2500k if you will overclock and i5 2400/2500 if you will not. Go with a P67 or Z68 motherboard if you will overclock or save some money and get an H67 motherboard if you will not overclock (notice how its all about money...overclocking is great a getting more performance, but there is a bit of a price premium to get that ability...it is worth it IMO if you will do it though). The i7 2600k performs pretty much identical to a 2500k in games. It is only in highly threaded programs that the 2600k has an advantage...unless you have a very high budget or a specific need for the i7 you are better off spending that money elsewhere in the computer. The HD 2000 vs HD 3000 graphics means nothing to you, since you will not be using the integrated graphics (you have a graphics card that is much more powerful).

Get 2x4gb of ram that runs 1600mhz and you will be good to go (G.Skill usually has good prices and quality). This is more than enough ram to get you going and is sufficient for 99% of people.

Given your needs and wants your graphics card is likely fine for now.

What is your power supply brand/model? The power supply powers everything in your computer and if its junk you risk killing other components in your computer. Wattage on its own means next to nothing if its not a quality power supply.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old January 27, 2012, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Save yourself a few bucks and get a Coolermaster Hyper 212 cpu cooler. Works well for a a good price.
Old January 27, 2012, 07:00 AM
Top Prospect

yeah seriously, with such a tight budget spending that much on a case does not seem the most effective use of your money. What country are you in?
i5 3570k @ 4.6ghz | GA-Z77X-UD3H | Gigabyte GTX 670 | 8gb Redline 1600mhz | CM 690 | Logitech G9x | Mushkin Cronos 120gb ssd | Benq 24" | CM Hyper 212+ | Seasonic 750w | X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser 350 | Razer blackwidow | Win 7 64-bit
Backup System:
AMD X2 7750 BE @ 3.0G | Asus M3A78-CM | 2x2gig 800mhz 4-4-4-12 | SB LIVE | Samsung 22" | Asus 9800gt | Antec NEO 620w | Logitech G5 | ThermalTake Matrix | Arctic Cooling Freezer 64
Old January 27, 2012, 09:47 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Oh yea forgot to mention the case shipping. Unless it's a 100lb case and they're shipping it across the country or to another country all together I don't see how $100 justifies a case just because it has a handle so you can carry it.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
What is your power supply brand/model? The power supply powers everything in your computer and if its junk you risk killing other components in your computer. Wattage on its own means next to nothing if its not a quality power supply.
Thermaltake 600W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossdaddy View Post
yeah seriously, with such a tight budget spending that much on a case does not seem the most effective use of your money. What country are you in?
Quote:
Oh yea forgot to mention the case shipping. Unless it's a 100lb case and they're shipping it across the country or to another country all together I don't see how $100 justifies a case just because it has a handle so you can carry it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
First off a big question is...Where on earth or you buying a case from that is going to rip you off for $100 shipping...that is insane. Where are you located? If you are in Canada look at NCIX.com and memoryexpress.com to get you started. Both places will pricematch other sites for pricing. NCIX often has free shipping for your order if you buy certain products and memoryexpress has flat rate shipping of $8.99 if its under 50 pounds.
Australia... the case itself is like 89$ and the shipping Standard is 79$. 168 so it's about 200$ anyway.
Getting a BitFenix Survivor Core since the Survivor has USB 3 and an extra fan for like, an extra 40$ and I don't really need USB 3.
I know the price seems ridiculous to you guys but when I look around on sites like eBay (since I don't know any other hard ware sites for Australia) it's practically the same price give or take 10$, so I figure I'd just stick with the site I was getting all my other parts from with the case cause I bought my supply from this site and it came in nice and fresh working well so I feel I can trust them.
It's that or I get express shipping for 238$ more lol.

It'll be shipped from the bottom of Australia to the top.

It's a silly case for you guys I bet but it's a case I really love, I've looked into it ten times over and the way it looks and the extra security and the handle and all that is what is great. I go to my friends constantly so I needed a case with a handle for easier transport.

Last edited by RainbowMuffins; January 27, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old January 27, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with the 2500. But if you're not overclocking, drop the k from the CPU and save $10. When you're talking about a $500 budget, every little bit counts.

Again, if you're not OC'ing, you don't necessarily need an aftermarket cooler. The CPU will come bundled with Intel's stock cooler which is more than enough to handle any cool a stock CPU.

When it comes to 'upgradeability' of the motherboard, I don't think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that a more expensive MB will be better. It's still the same socket (LGA1155 in your case). Ivy Bridge will fit into the same socket, so you'll always be able to use a cheaper 1155 board to run Ivy Bridge if you ever choose to upgrade. Although I can see the i5 staying relevant long enough for you to not bother.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 27, 2012, 08:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

i dont know where you are in aus, but im guessing its in queensland.
BitFenix Survivor Core Black Case [SURVIVOR-CORE-BK] - $95.00 - Scorpion Technology
$95+$49=$144

i live in melbourne VIC, so i only know the vic stores.