Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 3, 2012, 11:15 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes, that system is over kill for iRAcing. But other games be great.
Old February 3, 2012, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

IMO you should go for the X-fire 7970's. They'll be much more powerful than a single 6990 or GTX590. Perfect for playing high end games at 5760x1200 with all the eyecandy turned on.

Beautiful build, btw. I wish I had the kind of money to plop down on a build like that. Replace the 3930 with a 3960 and that's pretty much my dream machine!

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old February 3, 2012, 03:27 PM
Rookie

Default Thanks Musicman

Thanks Musicman.

I will definitely get Microsoft Windows Pro so I can use greater than 16GB RAM, even though I may cut back the RAM to 16GB at the start.

However, I will definitely get two of the new HD7970s, probably the ASUS version HD7970-3GD5. See ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Graphics Cards- ASUS HD7970-3GD5

I believe the other two ASUS HD7970s (HD7970-DC2-3GD5 and HD7970-DC2T-3GD5) would be too big to fit on the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme MOBO along with the ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card. I may drop the sound card if the sound on the MOBO is high quality as I have a large music library mostly in FLAC format on my home NAS.

See: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Graphics Cards- ASUS HD7970-DC2-3GD5 and
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Graphics Cards- ASUS HD7970-DC2T-3GD5

I do not feel comfortable doing custom water cooling. I will probably use the Corsair H80 or H100 unit with the radiator instead.

I will check out the 120GB OCZ Revodrive 3 which you say is 2X faster.

I have looked at Tom's Hardware's SSD Hierarchy Chart dated December 29,2011 which indicated that the Corsair Force 3 240GB was in Tier 4 (costs about $323). The Corsair Force GT 240GB was in Tier 2 and cost about $420 (about $100 more); however I see there is now a $40 rebate on the GT so I was thinking of upgrading to the GT version for only $60 more. The Tier 1 level has the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPs 240GB which costs about $485 (about $160 more than the Corsair Force 3). The OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPs 120GB costs about $400 versus the 240GB version at $485. I might spend the extra $85 to get the 240GB version as I want to ensure there is sufficient room for the OS plus the games. It seems that everything good is just a $100 or so more. Damn! :)
Old February 3, 2012, 03:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks Ern 88 and Great Big Abyss.

It will be overkill for iRacing but not for the other games I plan to play. Plus it should last a long time before becoming obsolete.

I am definitely going with 2 HD7970s. Regarding the 3960 versus 3930, I think the extra cost is not worth it as I read somewhere that the 3930 is just about as fast and I would likely not see much if any difference.

I am retired now and have part-time job to help pay the bills including my new PC gaming hobby. I am indeed fortunate in that regard. I have been quite frugal over the years and saved enough to ensure my spouse and I can survive on our pensions and savings. As one guy on one of the iRacing/Sim-racing forums said, he has no other hobbies or major expenses other than his gaming PC and rig. I am similar to him in some ways with no boats, cottages, season tickets to sports, big fancy cars, multiple vehicles, sea-dos or ski-dos. I do plan to travel a bit though. The new gaming PC and Gamepod GT2 EVO racing rig should be fun to use.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:11 PM
Rookie

damn...i wish i have that kind of budget to build new rig.......that will surely put a big smile on my face for three years.
tell us what you feel about your new system after you finish build it.
Old February 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
Rookie

Default Pulling the trigger

I plan to pull the trigger soon and will let you know how it turns out. I have a few loose ends to decide on and I hope the retailers have the items in hand which they do not seem to at this time. It seems that the HD7970s are in scarce supply at the moment. I wanted to get the ASUS MOBO and ASUS graphics cards to keep the items within the same manufacturer to minimize any incompatibilities. This will be my first build so i have some nervousness about it. But I have seen quite a few videos including how to apply the thermal paste to the CPU when installing the CPU cooler. I will just take my time when doing it to ensure I do it right. :)
Old February 3, 2012, 07:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOtt View Post
I plan to pull the trigger soon and will let you know how it turns out. I have a few loose ends to decide on and I hope the retailers have the items in hand which they do not seem to at this time. It seems that the HD7970s are in scarce supply at the moment. I wanted to get the ASUS MOBO and ASUS graphics cards to keep the items within the same manufacturer to minimize any incompatibilities. This will be my first build so i have some nervousness about it. But I have seen quite a few videos including how to apply the thermal paste to the CPU when installing the CPU cooler. I will just take my time when doing it to ensure I do it right. :)
yeah man..take it slow dont rush thing..everything will be just fine and great...good luck!!
Old February 5, 2012, 10:54 AM
Rookie

Default Applying Thermal Paste with the H100 Cooler?

Hi Nasfara.

I shall definitly take my time as I usually screw up if i don't! And sometimes even if I do! :)

It's funny; I spent so much time researching how to apply thermal paste to the CPU and found the following great info including various methods of how to apply the thermal paste:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=150&Itemid=62

Then I found out that the Corsair H100 has thermal paste on it already in the following article:

Blog - Installing the Hydro Series H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler In the Obsidian 800D

Problem solved! LOL.