Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Rookie

Default New/Upgrade Gaming Build Advice (Updated with Parts List)

UPDATE:

I'm hoping to order my parts within a week, I've come up with the following parts list.

CPU: Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz 6MB Cache - 172.55
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz - 36.99
MB: MSI Z68S-G43 - 74.81
MB (Option 2): MSI P67A-G45 - 96.25
Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced - 42.99

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222AB 22x DVDRW 11.98 (To Replace my old IDE drive)

I'd like to add an SSD to be my boot drive, I'm completely clueless when it comes to SSDs, I've done some research and I'm thinking of getting the following:

OCZ 60GB Agility 3 SSD Read 525MB/s Write 475MB/s 80,000 IOPS - 74.99

Total Price including the SSD is 414.31

I Will also be using the following parts from my existing pc

NVidia GTS450 1GB
550W Power Supply

Would all of these parts go well together? Would it be worth upgrading my PSU?

----------------------

I'm currently in the process of deciding what to get next to upgrade my 3year old Gaming PC

My current specifications are:

AMD Phenom 2.6ghz
4gb DDR2 800mhz
Nvidia GTS450 1gb

550W PSU

My system currently runs at 1680 x 1050 resolution.

I purchased a case a while back I decided to go for the Corsair 600T as I liked the look of it, I upgraded the graphics card last year as my old one died on me.

I'm thinking that the best parts to upgrade would be Motherboard, CPU and Memory, and keep my old graphics card, and then when I get some more money I can purchase a replacement Graphics card.

I'm based in the UK and have been looking at the pre over clocked bundles on Scan.

My budget would be 450 for now, I've looked at a few other parts sites and compared prices and they seem to be competitive, however its been a while since I bought parts and i'm really unsure of what to go for. Should I go with a cheaper AMD build or a more expensive Intel build?

I'm intending to upgrade within the next few months, Emigration to Canada is also on the cards but not for few years yet, at which point I will probably be buying a completely new system, so the system doesn't need to be amazingly future proof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited by Midimatt; January 26, 2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Adding more Info
Old January 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is your motherboard? A new MOB/RAM/CPU would be the best overall upgrade, but if you want to keep costs down you could consider just replacing the CPU with a phenom II x4 955/X6 1090t if your motherboard will support it (I am assuming your current processor is an original Phenom). If that doesn't appeal to you then an i5 2500K/Z68 based motherboard/and 8gb ddr 3 will do the job and should be in your budget.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:11 AM
Rookie

I'm currently using a GA-M68M-S2P (Link) which does support AM2+ and AM3 however it downgrades the bus speed from 5200 to 2000.
Old January 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midimatt View Post
I'm currently using a GA-M68M-S2P (Link) which does support AM2+ and AM3 however it downgrades the bus speed from 5200 to 2000.
IMO don't bother with a CPU upgrade on the MOB then. Go for an intel 1155 build. Do you plan to overclock or run at stock speeds?
Old January 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
IMO don't bother with a CPU upgrade on the MOB then. Go for an intel 1155 build. Do you plan to overclock or run at stock speeds?
I wouldn't feel confident overclocking myself however if I went for one of the bundles that I linked I'd probably keep the overclock that they put on it.

I've edited my original post, forgot to mention that I'm using a 550W power supply, would that be sufficient or would I need to upgrade it?

Thanks for all the advice so far, really appreciate it.
Old January 26, 2012, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not getting a lot of feedback here. Its hard for most of us since its mostly Canadians on here and pricing is different everywhere as to what is a better bang for buck.

With your updated choices the 2500k is great, but if you have no intentions of ever overclocking you could consider saving a few dollars on a 2500 non-k version or a 2400. The decision is yours if the unlocked multiplier for overclocking is worth the extra cost. RAM is fine. I am not familiar with the Z68 motherboard that you picked as option 1, but MSI is generally quite good. I usually go for ASUS motherboards, but that is just personal preference. I would get a Z68 board from MSI/ASUS/or gigabyte, and as long as it has all the features you want it will be fine (USB 3.0/ sufficient usb ports/ 4 ram slots/ sufficient sata connectors etc). Another option for motherboard is an H67 based board that will again save some money, it should only be considered if you WILL NOT overclock, since that feature is unavailable an H67 motherboard.

I am not familiar with the cooler you chose, but a quick search and it looks like a good cooler if you value silence. Otherwise there are coolers that will give you lower temperatures. The most common budget cooler here is usually a hyper 212 plus or the new evo...not sayings it is a better choice, just another option (not sure what it costs there). I can't help you out with the SSD, since I have no experience with them.

A 550w power supply is more than enough, but make sure you are using a quality power supply. It runs everything in your computer and a bad power supply can damage other parts in your system. What model of power supply is it?

Edit: what site are you looking at buying these parts from?

Last edited by Bond007; January 26, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old January 27, 2012, 01:51 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Not getting a lot of feedback here. Its hard for most of us since its mostly Canadians on here and pricing is different everywhere as to what is a better bang for buck.

With your updated choices the 2500k is great, but if you have no intentions of ever overclocking you could consider saving a few dollars on a 2500 non-k version or a 2400. The decision is yours if the unlocked multiplier for overclocking is worth the extra cost. RAM is fine. I am not familiar with the Z68 motherboard that you picked as option 1, but MSI is generally quite good. I usually go for ASUS motherboards, but that is just personal preference. I would get a Z68 board from MSI/ASUS/or gigabyte, and as long as it has all the features you want it will be fine (USB 3.0/ sufficient usb ports/ 4 ram slots/ sufficient sata connectors etc). Another option for motherboard is an H67 based board that will again save some money, it should only be considered if you WILL NOT overclock, since that feature is unavailable an H67 motherboard.

I am not familiar with the cooler you chose, but a quick search and it looks like a good cooler if you value silence. Otherwise there are coolers that will give you lower temperatures. The most common budget cooler here is usually a hyper 212 plus or the new evo...not sayings it is a better choice, just another option (not sure what it costs there). I can't help you out with the SSD, since I have no experience with them.

A 550w power supply is more than enough, but make sure you are using a quality power supply. It runs everything in your computer and a bad power supply can damage other parts in your system. What model of power supply is it?

Edit: what site are you looking at buying these parts from?
Thanks for the response, I'm probably going to stick with the 2500k as I like having the option to overclock at some point.

I'm not too fussed about a quiet cooler, so I may look at trying to get a cheaper cooler with more of a focus on cooling, possibly a Corsair H40.

I opened my PC up and had a look at the power supply and as far as I can see its unbranded, It was just a cheap power supply that I picked up to replace my old one that stopped working during my finals at Uni, so I'm not really sure on its quality.

I'm currently using EBuyer for my parts, however my Canadian in-laws are coming over to visit and have plenty of space in their bags so if I could get some of the parts cheaper in Canada then I'm open to that too , I'm assuming that there's no real difference between parts from Canada except maybe the power supply receiving a different voltage in which case I'll probably get that here if I need to replace.
Old January 27, 2012, 02:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From that site here are some power supplies I would recommend:

XFX 550W Core Edition Pro PSU | Ebuyer.com

Antec 520W High Current Gamer PSU | Ebuyer.com

Corsair 600W CX Series V2 PSU - 6x SATA 2x PCI-E | Ebuyer.com

They are all good power supplies, so any of them would be fine, but this is currently the best deal in my opinion (if you get it while it is on sale). Currently 22 pounds off the regular price (it still around the same price, just regularly more).

Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU | Ebuyer.com

Here is a good budget cooler. Cooler master 212 Evo. There is no info on their web page, but you can search it elsewhere.

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | Ebuyer.com

Last edited by Bond007; January 27, 2012 at 03:55 AM.