Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 upgrade version?

Hey, I've currently got a Windows 7 Premium OEM version on my HDD. I'm gonna have to format it soon to move it to a completely new PC which I've just finished building, and what I was wondering is, can I use a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade to install Windows on the HDD? I have the product key for the current OS, but can the upgrade version install the full copy of Windows? It says on this disc it requires a pre existing OS key, it doesn't say it requires a pre existing OS installed, any ideas?
Old January 18, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Upgrading editions of Windows, Vista or 7, suppose there is already the original version installed and activated, and you give your cc number and upgrade to whatever you want in the process, and everything is going to be migrated to the new version.
Old January 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedwar View Post
Hey, I've currently got a Windows 7 Premium OEM version on my HDD. I'm gonna have to format it soon to move it to a completely new PC which I've just finished building, and what I was wondering is, can I use a Windows 7 Professional Upgrade to install Windows on the HDD? I have the product key for the current OS, but can the upgrade version install the full copy of Windows? It says on this disc it requires a pre existing OS key, it doesn't say it requires a pre existing OS installed, any ideas?
Is there a reason you need Professional out of curiosity?
Old January 18, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

make sure you have the key written down somewhere for the original version before yo do any upgrades.

Program called magic jelly bean can extract keys and windows versions for you. KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean total life saver this app.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.