Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2012, 09:38 PM
Trial Member

Default Getting a new gaming laptop - advice?

finally upgrading and buying a new laptop the next month or so, need some help though regarding the configuration. I'm a gamer, it's an important thing to keep in mind (I want to be able to play the newest games) and though I know I'd get a better deal with a desktop I do need mobility. Also, I need it for work, working with 3d rendering programs, a lot of multitasking. I want to go with a 14" screen, it's easier to carry around. My budget is around $5000-5500, it's an investment, so I do need a durable rig, storage is also important, maybe it would be a good idea finding a laptop that can take more hard disk drives?
Also, I'm clueless when it comes to graphics cards, I've heard mixed opinions about whether getting a SLI is worth the money so definitely need some advice on that.
Any recommendations on a good processor? I sorta have my mind set on an i7 but which one? Stores suggestions are very welcomed, it's been quite some time since I made such a huge purchase and I need to hear other people's opinions. So far I've been recommended Horize because they only sell high performance rigs, but I'm open to more suggestions, stores you had a good experience with (preferably online stores)?

looking forward to your replies
Old January 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Honestly that is going to be very tough, you definately want i7, I would say no SLI if you actually want to have some battery life. Sager makes good products but I don't think they even sell 14" and I don't know if anyone sells 14" capable of SLI or multiple HDD's. Honestly you are probably better off spending like 2k on a desktop and getting a $1000 laptop. The problem with performance laptops is cooling (you will need a cooling pad), battery life (might as well be a desktop because you won't get anything out of it if it isn't plugged into the wall) and even if it is 14" it will be a heavy bastard to carry around (especially if you want multiple HDD's). I don't believe in gaming laptops because once you hit the desktop performance level your laptop really isn't portable anymore anyways.

But if you are set on this heinously expensive laptop we shall see what we can do.

So questions we need to know.

How important is battery life?

How much storage do you need?

How important is weight?

Do you absolutely want to spend $5000 on a laptop that you could get on a $3000 desktop and have $2000 for an extremely high end notebook as well?
Old January 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest something like the Lenovo W520. Although it is 15.6", it doesn't feel overly un-portable. Has Quadro graphic options which should be good for 3D rendering and somewhat for gaming. Got to play with one at work about 6 months ago, and it was able to run Crysis 2 at fairly decent settings.

Otherwise, I guess look at ASUS, MSI and Alienware gaming laptop lines. Their looks surely don't suit a professional environment though, and most of them are at least 15.6" or even 17" in order to fit all that hardware within.

I think the Alienware M14x is about the only option you'll find with good specs and 14" form factor, although its like 1.5" thick and starts at 6.5lbs which is quite beefy compared to the recent 14" Ultrabooks.
Old January 14, 2012, 01:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Look for a Clevo or Sager 15". It's probably the only thing you'll find that will meet those requirements.
Old January 14, 2012, 06:04 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

14"?

Acer 4830TG? Not really much for options at that size.
Old January 16, 2012, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If it was me with that budget, I'd go for two machines.

Laptop that is capable of gaming with good graphics: Asus G53, or Alienware M14x (~$1500)
This way, you have a computer that is fairly portable, and can do the stuff while you are away from the office/home.

Desktop: i7-2600k or even the new line of extreme processor, SLI graphics, SSD (all the goodies) (~$2000 - $3000)
A killer machine that does everything you need.

Unless I'm entirely mistaken, a $3000 desktop will do more than just about any laptop money can buy that is worthy of being called portable.