Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Default BIOS?

Hey, I'm gonna be building a new custom PC this week, I know how all the hardware goes and where to plug everything in, but I'm not sure what to do on the first boot up? I'm gonna be using the same harddrive I have on this computer so I wont need to install windows etc. But what should I do in the BIOS? Can anyone give me a short tutorial on how to set it up correctly and have decent stability?
Old January 8, 2012, 10:47 AM
MVP

Depends on which motherboard manufacturer and its/their individual model(s) as to what bios settings you need.
really MB settings are not standardized per se though definitions MAY be similar/same on identical brands of mbs and be quite different on another brand.

The same platform as before? AMD or Intel you don't specify
If its the same ie Intel maybe less hassle just...
If you are using the same hd you are most likely going to want remove old chipset drivers audio,ethernet etc.
so on boot up you can instal new drivers off the new MB cd or check the website for your new mb and get the newest drivers and have them at the ready

You will have to re authorize the Windows OS.

If you have a drive imaging, recover app some allow changing over to different hardware but you have to have the appropriate file(S) on usb stick and unzipped ready to go and follow the correct sequence.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old January 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Well my old motherboard was a stock Dell one with an AMD II x3 on it, I'm gonna be using an Asus sabertooth 990fx with an AMD 8-core bulldozer on it. The BIOS on the sabertooth looks pretty easy to navigate. But will it be safe to use the old HDD even after removing all the drivers etc? will windows actually boot when it notices major hardware changes, even when it has the drivers? I'm just a bit concered it'll corrupt everything or something goes wrong. :/
Old January 8, 2012, 11:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedwar View Post
Well my old motherboard was a stock Dell one with an AMD II x3 on it, I'm gonna be using an Asus sabertooth 990fx with an AMD 8-core bulldozer on it. The BIOS on the sabertooth looks pretty easy to navigate. But will it be safe to use the old HDD even after removing all the drivers etc? will windows actually boot when it notices major hardware changes, even when it has the drivers? I'm just a bit concered it'll corrupt everything or something goes wrong. :/
Anything can wrong.
Dell is proprietary as well so thats a red flag
Its not an enthusiast mb
If you used the existing old os load on the existing hd and setup for awhile just format and reload it once the new install is done
I am assuming you have a fairly decent/recent hd to begin with of the sata variety.
Just save what you need including 1st all programs serials etc

I doubt you can be sure, you don't seem sure so do a fresh install to play it safe.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old January 8, 2012, 11:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If the OS is windows 7 you wont have a problem other than reactivating your OS, since it was a dell it came with a copy of the OS that is tied to that motherboard as soon as you swap boards MS will want you to buy a new copy of the OS.

With 7 hardware wise I have gone amd to amd to intel all on the same install, 7 just works with new hardware no need for a fresh install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old January 8, 2012, 11:16 AM
Rookie

If I'd format the HDD, would it delete windows aswell? I do have an external HDD so I can save all my college work etc on that, but when I bought this PC it didn't come with a windows disk for re-install, soo, if i'd format, and it deletes windows, how would I get to reinstall windows? would I just have to buy a completely new OS disk?
Thanks for all the help by the way. :)
Old January 8, 2012, 11:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
If I'd format the HDD, would it delete windows aswell? I do have an external HDD so I can save all my college work etc on that, but when I bought this PC it didn't come with a windows disk for re-install, soo, if i'd format, and it deletes windows, how would I get to reinstall windows? would I just have to buy a completely new OS disk?
Thanks for all the help by the way. :)
Again what OS is it?
If you format the drive everything on that drive is lost, your hdd should have a partion on it that contains the Dell OS install for the Dell hardware, again if it is windows 7 just unhook the drive install the new hardware boot, it will go into windows twice IIRC rebooting both time and you should be good to go.

But either way your going to need a new key for the OS since again that key is tied to tha Dell mobo. Windows will work with that key ( if you didnt format and just installed the new hardware ) for 3 days before windows shuts down since that key is already tied to another computer.

Quote:
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
Old January 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
Rookie

Its Windows 7 Premium, so basically what I should do is, backup all my important stuff, format the HDD and then just get a new 7 key and disk and install it on the HDD when it's inside the new computer?
Old January 8, 2012, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Its Windows 7 Premium, so basically what I should do is, backup all my important stuff, format the HDD and then just get a new 7 key and disk and install it on the HDD when it's inside the new computer?
I would back up important data , I have lost data before so paranoid, install the new system (cpu/board/ram/ect) and restart the computer.
You then have 3 days to get a new key , if you already have a key then input the new key when prompted after restarting the computer with the new hardware.
All you files should then stay the same.
One thing to note is you cant do this if going from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS.
As for the copy of OS, you can get a OEm version that then would be tied to the new MOBO ( swap out mobos again and you will need a new copy of the OS)
Buy a retail version of the OS, this will allow you to move from board to board without having to buy a new OEm copy of the OS when you next upgrade.
Or buy a technet subscription from MS that will allow you to have ( 2 copies for standard, 5 copies for PRO) now keep in mind that 2 copies means 2 copies of all the versions of 7 so:
2x 32bit prem
2x64bit prem
2x32bit pro
2x64bit pro
If you are going to buy retail dont and get a technet subscription you will get a hella lot more keys than the 1 for roughly the same price, google technet for more info.

Quote:
Old January 8, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

best use new HDD fresh unformatted to install new OS beit OEM or retail

for old Dell HDD will confuse hardware for dell hidden partition keeping data of old stuff when do a factory format

and use your old HDD as D: drive if tower if laptop external usb HDD caddy

myself would check motherboard site for bios version is up to date and flash in dos from a bootable usb stick.
Note:check MB revision for some models have same model # but different chips on MB making a revision Rev:x.xx if flashed wrong bios will make MB DOA

get all win7 WHQL current drivers for hardware sound, video, chipset, lan, I/O and put on disk/usb stick
to install when OS ask for it

Last edited by KaptCrunch; January 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Tags
bios , instructions