Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 5, 2012, 03:50 AM
Rookie

Default new pc

hey guys this pc will be used for everyday pc and some gamming like bf3 and mw2, i curently have a old psu its 700 watts but it has no 6 pin pci-e or anything along those likes but has 4x 4 pin molex will that do for a gtx 560 ti twin frozr? the only reason i ask is because im trying to conserve money but the other option it a OCZ ModXstream Pro 600W modular PSU ? will 600 watts be enought for my system below.

- Corsair Carbide 500R Black Mid-Tower Case
- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
- OCZ Agility 3 120G SATA3 SSD
- MSI gtx560 ti twin froxr II OC

(currently have a old motherboared and cpu and ram i will use for now they are listed below.)

- amd athlon 64 X2 Dual core processor 5200+ 2.69GHz (scores 5.8 in windows 7 raitng)-(will be upgrading soon to either amd 6 core or i5 2500k)
- asrock A785GM-LE/128M (will be upgrading soon when i upgrade my cpu and ram)
- 4 gigs or ddr2 800 team ram (scores 7.1 in windows 7 raiting)

please tell me will thatOCZ ModXstream Pro 600W modular PSU be enought for when i upgrade my cpu and ram and mother boared or can i use my old psu (so i dnt have to put money towards a new psu) and yes i no my cpu will bottleneck it but i will try over clock it (dose anyone know any fourum about over clocking that cpu)

hope to see a reply thanks alot guys
steven,
Old January 5, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

A new PSU wouldn't be a bad idea at all..

The old one will probably run if you have the right adapters but it's not worth the risk as you'll need to replace it for a new mobo - cpu when you do upgrade.
Also you run the risk of it going pop or providing bad power and reducing the life of your other parts.

600 watt would be plenty as long as your staying with 1 graphics card.
I would suggest a different brand as the common consensus is to get something like antec xfx seasonic for good quality PSU's. (am sure others will list a few more brands)

I'm sure even with that cpu you'll get a decent power bump to your graphics
Old January 5, 2012, 03:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

You don't have to get a new PSU. The OCZ 600w is just fine for the build you have now, and for when you upgrade to a 2500k.

Edit: I see you want to use two adapters, from molex to PCI-e. I could be wrong, but I think you have to check and see if there is enough power on the 12V Rail of your PSU.

Last edited by bigFOIG; January 5, 2012 at 03:16 PM.