Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Price is no Option LGA2011 Build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/50058-price-no-option-lga2011-build.html)

Soullessone21 January 3, 2012 08:54 PM

Price is no Option LGA2011 Build

So thanks to a buddy at intel who I helped get his system all up and going and upgrade his Media Center.
He Gave me open market to all his New CPU's first I was going to get a 2700k but then I saw it a 3960X USED for a few tests but never overclocked.
So needless to say I am playing pass from hand to hand with my new 3960X and contemplating another major build.

So As I just got signed on with 2 new testing groups and have free market to a large list of motherboards and GPU's its time to build something a little more out of the norm.

I have no choice but Asus boards and hell no complaint there so I need suggestions there.

GPU's I am hoping they give me a 7970 but thats up to the testing group.

Now for where I need help. I want to design and build my own case. I want 2 loops and design a CUBE case. I want to know if it is possible to run 2 PSU's in a system? I also want to design a handle on the top of it and even with all this power the main goal is silence. I Have never made a custom Case from scratch before but I want to use 4 Reservoirs as I think it would look kewl to design them to look like test tubes on all 4 corners. The inside I want to design to show as little as possible of cables other then tons of Water cooling lines and lots of shinny LED's haha.

So whats the best program to design a good case in and what materials are proffered ?

Thanks for your time

jcmaz January 3, 2012 09:07 PM

I used Solidworks to "model" my case. I don't know what the best program is, but that's what we use at school.

Note: I'm not exactly proficient at Solidwork FYI.

Dzzope January 3, 2012 10:05 PM

As you want a handle I'm guessing your going to be moving it?

if yes, pick a light material, aluminium and perspex?

if no, then pick whatever suits the look. (aluminium and perspex?)

budget no option? carbon fibre? carbotanium? (that is actually a real material, it's titanium woven into carbon fibre)

Feanor January 4, 2012 07:15 AM

You might want to check what mountain mods can offer you. They will pretty much build anything you may need in terms of computer case, and you can customize them quite a bit. more expensive option, but saves you the hassle.

Soullessone21 January 4, 2012 08:35 AM

Thanks so much guys. I am still 50/50 on the handle I wanna make it a cube that almost docks with my desk as in it just drops into the desk.

I sadly dont want someone to build it for me but thanks for that advise and the PM's people sent on that.
I really wanna build it all myself, I have no lack of spare parts so I'm not to worried.

Main thing is getting a good program to design it with and then the frame for the system.

Lpfan4ever January 4, 2012 08:44 AM

I know I love my Mountain Mods U2-UFO case, so bravo for wanting to go cube! I second the aluminum part, because if you're thinking of anything big (mine is 18"x18"x18") you're gonna end up with one hell of a heavy case if you use steel.

Design wise, I have no idea. Can't help ya there.

JD January 4, 2012 09:25 AM

I'd go with CaseLabs over MountianMods, but that's just me. I'm sure they'd be willing to help you make some modifications if need be, since price is of no object :whistle:

Something like this: MAGNUM M8 Case - CaseLabs Store
Other than the handles, I think it would do everything you want to do.

The Great ImageFap Troll January 5, 2012 11:19 AM

tj11, you can have a 4x140mm rad at the bottom. A 120 mm at the top. And a 360 on the drive bay spaces(im not sure about this). And it looks cooler than anything else on the market