Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 09:38 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Upgrading my video card or not

I would like to run 3 monitors for gaming. I live in canada and I like performance but I do not overclock yet. Cost is not the most important factor - the most important thing is what will make sense, new vs old. I have a good base to do this. I have a BFG 295 gtx and it has 2 DVI ports and I need 3 so my problem is do I find another 295 gtx and SLI them, or is there a big enough difference in newer cards that already have 3 DVI ports to go with one of them. What do you think? If a new card is the way to go, can you give me some advice on what card I should go with.
I have a i7 920 processor/EVGA x58 MB/6 gig of memory/and BFG 295 gtx.
Thanks
Old January 1, 2012, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my Honest opinion would be to get a ASUS CUII 6970 and then your set for all 3 if money is no option go with a 6990 you wont regret it. But the Asus ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5 is a great option as well but I know very little about Nvidia as I am a total AMD fanboy

Hell I might even sell my less then 2 month old 6970 for cheap as I am prepping for the new 7970 series.
Old January 1, 2012, 02:37 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Be careful with using AMD Eyefinity. I had a 3 monitor setup with a 6950 and there are so many driver problems... I would say you should get 2 GTX 560 Ti's in SLI.
Old January 1, 2012, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

you can wait for 7xxx series from AMD .
RFD
Old January 1, 2012, 04:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

wait till the 9th when the 7xxx series hits and you can get a 7970 and rape face
Old January 1, 2012, 05:12 PM
Allstar

How about a Galaxy 580 MDT?

GALAXY LAUNCHES THE GTX 580 MDT
Old January 2, 2012, 07:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for all the info I am going to wait a bit longer and get a one of the new nvidia cards coming out soon.
Old January 2, 2012, 07:59 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I got to see how you are going to talk 9'er domestic into this
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old January 2, 2012, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by uppercut View Post
Thanks for all the info I am going to wait a bit longer and get a one of the new nvidia cards coming out soon.
New nvidia are due around about May. new Radions (7970) are being released on the 9th.

While it rips the head off anything else out at the moment (bar dual gpu cards) it's not cheap.

Your best option is either to go for a large single Radion or a pair of nvidia's.

What resolution are you running? and what are you planning to run on the 3 screens? (are you looking for a game across the 3 or just desktop?)

if your looking to game across the 3 screens you will need something with quite a bit of power. If your running monitors that have a higher resolution you will need something with huge amounts of power.

It all depends on 3 things.. brand preference, resolution and use. (also how soon you want it)