Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Upgrading my video card or not (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/49956-upgrading-my-video-card-not.html)

uppercut January 1, 2012 09:38 AM

Upgrading my video card or not

I would like to run 3 monitors for gaming. I live in canada and I like performance but I do not overclock yet. Cost is not the most important factor - the most important thing is what will make sense, new vs old. I have a good base to do this. I have a BFG 295 gtx and it has 2 DVI ports and I need 3 so my problem is do I find another 295 gtx and SLI them, or is there a big enough difference in newer cards that already have 3 DVI ports to go with one of them. What do you think? If a new card is the way to go, can you give me some advice on what card I should go with.
I have a i7 920 processor/EVGA x58 MB/6 gig of memory/and BFG 295 gtx.
Thanks

Soullessone21 January 1, 2012 09:52 AM

my Honest opinion would be to get a ASUS CUII 6970 and then your set for all 3 if money is no option go with a 6990 you wont regret it. But the Asus ENGTX590/3DIS/3GD5 is a great option as well but I know very little about Nvidia as I am a total AMD fanboy

Hell I might even sell my less then 2 month old 6970 for cheap as I am prepping for the new 7970 series.

bigFOIG January 1, 2012 02:37 PM

Be careful with using AMD Eyefinity. I had a 3 monitor setup with a 6950 and there are so many driver problems... I would say you should get 2 GTX 560 Ti's in SLI.

micul January 1, 2012 03:56 PM

you can wait for 7xxx series from AMD .

techman95 January 1, 2012 04:12 PM

wait till the 9th when the 7xxx series hits and you can get a 7970 and rape face:haha::thumb:

moocow January 1, 2012 05:12 PM

How about a Galaxy 580 MDT?

GALAXY LAUNCHES THE GTX 580 MDT

uppercut January 2, 2012 07:20 AM

Thanks for all the info I am going to wait a bit longer and get a one of the new nvidia cards coming out soon.

PerryC January 2, 2012 07:59 AM

I got to see how you are going to talk 9'er domestic into this :bleh:

Dzzope January 2, 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uppercut (Post 585492)
Thanks for all the info I am going to wait a bit longer and get a one of the new nvidia cards coming out soon.

New nvidia are due around about May. new Radions (7970) are being released on the 9th.

While it rips the head off anything else out at the moment (bar dual gpu cards) it's not cheap.

Your best option is either to go for a large single Radion or a pair of nvidia's.

What resolution are you running? and what are you planning to run on the 3 screens? (are you looking for a game across the 3 or just desktop?)

if your looking to game across the 3 screens you will need something with quite a bit of power. If your running monitors that have a higher resolution you will need something with huge amounts of power.

It all depends on 3 things.. brand preference, resolution and use. (also how soon you want it)