Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2011, 05:15 AM
Banned

hey guys big thanks for your advising .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
If you take a new mobo with more than one PCIE X16 slots you could also keep the GTS250 as PhysX processor, no matter what card you will add, nVidia or AMD.
why should i keep gts 250 when i buy other other vga ?! i can't use it at the same time (i mean sli)
you mean i can drop for example gtx 560 ti and throw my gts250 into second slot and use two mismatch gpu simultaneously ?
i think for sli we need same gpu (except vendor name /memory volume ) for example 2*gtx 560 ti or 2*gtx580 ....
i cant use gtx560 ti with gts250... it doesnt work... correct?
u said keep my gts250 as a physx processor ... could you please describe more....
Old December 29, 2011, 11:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You use the 260 for the physx side only.. thats all it will do and the other new card with render the actual graphics.

It's not sli.. it's only for offloading physx like you can offload it to the processor.

With how few games actually use it, I'd suggest not bothering.
Old December 30, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Or you could just keep it to fold.
Old December 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmaden View Post
thank u for your advise .
you said about bottleneck . which side of bottleneck you are talking about exactly ? ( remain unused performance... or lack? )
describe more pls.
A "bottleneck" in terms of performance in computing is when one component is slowing everything else down. For example in the Metro 2033 game if you crank everything to maximum details your graphics card (GPU) will operate at 100% while everything else (CPU and RAM) is not at 100% but the game still won't run smoothly. In that case, the GPU is the bottleneck. In most games, the GPU being used to its full potential will cause the game to slow down before the CPU. If you got a high-end CPU like a i5/i7 2500k or 2600k then it will be more likely that the GPU will slow down your game, forcing you to upgrade the GPU before you have to upgrade the CPU. Of course there are exceptions to this, like some strategy games will get slowed down by CPU before GPU.

Quote:
hey guys big thanks for your advising .
why should i keep gts 250 when i buy other other vga ?! i can't use it at the same time (i mean sli)
you mean i can drop for example gtx 560 ti and throw my gts250 into second slot and use two mismatch gpu simultaneously ?
i think for sli we need same gpu (except vendor name /memory volume ) for example 2*gtx 560 ti or 2*gtx580 ....
i cant use gtx560 ti with gts250... it doesnt work... correct?
u said keep my gts250 as a physx processor ... could you please describe more....
You are correct in that you can't use 2 dissimilar nVidia cards in SLI. However what the others are suggesting is that your new nVidia (or even AMD if the drivers play nice) card can process graphics while you leave your older card to process the physics engine, Physx. See:
PhysX FAQ
This setup will only have an effect if the game actually supports Physx, like the Unreal Torunament 3, Borderlands, etc. if the games you play do not use Physx, your GTS 250 will just remain unused.
Old December 30, 2011, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

Based on my experiences with older systems you do have a good one.... I would really consider buying a 6950 first as an upgrade and hanging onto your system for another year especially if you aren't having many problems. You do have a nice quad core. It all comes down to 1) How disappointed are you in the current games you are playing? 2) Do you want to drop a load of cash on not much of an upgrade in the end for the money?

If you really want to have an edge then buy but as I said you have a good quad core that should be fine for most games as far as I am concerned, but everyone has different standards.

I was playing SWTOR and Skyrim on an 8800GT and an e6600 so I do not think the latest and greatest is always needed ;)
Old December 30, 2011, 09:09 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Grab a 560Ti, or 6950, and overclock the CPU more I found my q9400 really picked up from 3.4-3.8 and then no more improvement after 3.8.
Old December 30, 2011, 10:06 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Without starting over you are not going to get much more out of that system. Q9*** or very Overclocked Q6600 would move it a bit but the price is totally not worth the improvement. A GTX 460/560/560Ti also a bit of an improvement but beyond that you might start to get CPU bottlenecked. If it plays everything you want well enough for you then keep it as is, if not you can build a new one starting around $500 and going up to as much money as you can throw at it. I guess it really depends on how important it is to your life to have max settings versus other things that money can buy. I have to have a fairly powerful computer for work so the gaming power comes as a bonus, if I only used it for gaming it would be get upgraded a lot less.

The one area I would upgrade is the monitor...A decent 24 inch 1080p should be on sale for $140 right now...of course that will stress your system even more.

Razz
Old December 31, 2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison Ivy View Post
Based on my experiences with older systems you do have a good one.... I would really consider buying a 6950 first as an upgrade and hanging onto your system for another year especially if you aren't having many problems. You do have a nice quad core. It all comes down to 1) How disappointed are you in the current games you are playing? 2) Do you want to drop a load of cash on not much of an upgrade in the end for the money?

If you really want to have an edge then buy but as I said you have a good quad core that should be fine for most games as far as I am concerned, but everyone has different standards.

I was playing SWTOR and Skyrim on an 8800GT and an e6600 so I do not think the latest and greatest is always needed ;)
big thanks for your advising all guys ...was helpful for me .

i'm with your opinion . and the reality is i can play all games on good (sometime hight) setting and game run smoothly without bothering me. i want to know does it worth for buying new gpu for better experience ? ( in other word, does buying new card increase enjoy of playing games ? ) my current gpu as i said is gts 250 1024 mb directx 10 ...
Old December 31, 2011, 10:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Is this guy for real? I read most of the posts not all.

#1 What's his budget?
#2 get off the 2011 cpu you don't need it nor will you ever use it.
#3 he can't possibly be running dual channel with 3 ram moduals it doesn't work like that if i remember correctly.
#4 get the 560ti and use the 250 for physX

#5 run CPUZ program and post this picture:
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 31, 2011, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
big thanks for your advising all guys ...was helpful for me .

i'm with your opinion . and the reality is i can play all games on good (sometime hight) setting and game run smoothly without bothering me. i want to know does it worth for buying new gpu for better experience ? ( in other word, does buying new card increase enjoy of playing games ? ) my current gpu as i said is gts 250 1024 mb directx 10 ...

It will increase your joy playing games IF you find you are having frame rate issues in your current games. Either buy a 6950 or do what clshades above me said.

Again, if all this will help you enjoy games more depends on YOU and if YOU feel you are getting poor performance from your games. Stop worrying about what your friends or anyone else says and upgrade only if you want to.