My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsamz_ View Post
or find a 980x n 1366 board for cheap
you can get a EVGA X58 SLI3 from evga website, as B stock i see is only 80$
Old December 28, 2011, 11:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have done heaps of video editing in the past 12+ months. I have tried it on 4 different setups and here is the best so far. You can see my specs on the right. It holds up pretty good and considering how inexpensive my setup is... it works pretty damn well if I must say.

You want to throw as much memory as you can at that thing. The more the better.
4gigs= 5 minutes of stable editing (my 1st 4 core setup ate me alive and I would have serious stability issues/lag slow encoding)
8gigs= 10 minutes (added the 1090t it was pretty good as most of my videos weren't longer than 10 minutes.)
16gigs=20 minutes (been ******* awesome. No lag fast encoding and over all a fun time)

Again memory is everything. Encoding is reasonably easy and can only go so fast anyway. Its the time spent sitting there making the video when you need the horse power. RAM RAM RAM... cores are for encoding/compression/rendering.

You absolutely want to throw as many cores at the program as you can. I know the editing software i play around with (its cheap) uses all 6 cores and I've dedicated ram in the encoding process. I wouldn't considering anything less than a hyperthreaded cpu like the i7's or the 2600k's with 24-32 gigs of ram. As video editing has a slow learning curve and takes some time to really get good at it... it's better to waste as little time as possible and encoding or crashing programs due to lack of memory is the most frustrating thing to deal with.

You are absolutely wasting your money on an i5 don't even bother. 4 cores isn't enough in my honest opinion.

You may or may not want an ssd as to the boot/program drive but you won't want to store or encode to it. I tested out encoding times on my ssd compared to sataII spin point drives and it has very little if any effect in encoding times. Besides.... some of these movies can chew up a ton of space so you'll want storage. I use a 320 gig drive for bashing on and a 1tb drive for finished products.

2011 intel would be awesome of course but I don't think software uses more than 6-8 cores at a time right now. Especially the software you are talking about.

570 is more than enough... buy another cheap nvidia card for physX.
hope that helps
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 28, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Getting the largest case possible is also beneficial for an editing box, you'll be needed a lot of HDDs if you're editing raw HD footage. (Like 5+GB a minute)
Thats incorrect sir. I don't have a single video over 5 gigs and I have multiple videos. Most HD cameras have sufficient compression to keep video sizes down. Most of them use mp4 or .mov so 4 hours of 60fps 720p is around 12 gigs total. 1080p at 30 fps is about the same.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 29, 2011, 05:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

@clshades last post
Thats why he said raw hd.. most home cams don't give you raw, as you said yourself, "sufficient compression" and if you were doing high end video editing you wouldn't be using anything other than raw footage.

@clshades post above:

Yes more ram is better. But if your program is crashing cos of ram it's not lack of it, it's bad memory or a bad program or slot on mobo etc.
Will it run faster yes but it shouldn't crash cos of lack of ram (hell my lappy edits video fine with 2 GB on a dual core)

Processors, 2500 will be plenty, 2600 would be better but don't stretch too far for a machine to learn on (if budget is an issue).
you can always buy a second hand i7 CPU later if she really gets into it. (Or possibly look at a Xeon, which would be best, budget allowing or second hand)
I've little knowledge of Xeons and at which model they are beaten by a 2500 / 2600, but maybe someone else can enlighten.

On the multi-threading, Adobe CS5 is 64 bit and will use as many threads / ram as you can throw at it (may require some configuration)
you can also have AE render multiple frames at the same time (again set-up of configuration required)
And you want about 4GB ram per core for multi processing.

Adobe renders most stuff on the CPU from what I hear. So pick whatever GPU you can afford, any modern card should suffice, though a 2 GB ATI card may be better
(not sure how on screen stuff is rendered and if video memory affects it).

P.S don't bother with a physX card.. waste of money especially in a rendering rig.

PPS. There are many very knowledgeable communities on the ins and outs of Adobe products and where your money will be best spent, may be worth asking there instead.

Last edited by Dzzope; December 29, 2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old December 30, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Mate there is no way in hell anything would be 5 gigs a minute are you crazy? Raw audio uses far more storage than video. The frames per second would be far higher than any standard consumer product. That's what it comes down too... raw video is nothing compared to the amount of frames that goes along with it. If you are using a biz-hop 1000fps high definition golf swing analyzer it might have a raid 5 attached to it then you might have a leg to stand on here but it's simply not in her realm. IF they were using cameras like that they wouldn't even be posting on this forum.

i5 2500 processor is not PLEANTY... I'm sorry that's just bad advice. Very bad advice.
Video editing requires a great deal of ram and in my case the APP was crashing / having issues. Not the computer. Where the ram comes into play is when you start to add font's and image changes or transitions and music. It is also extremely helpful for a real time test before full render/compression/production run.

The following is straight from Adobe:
CS4, CS5, 64bit || windows 64 bit || As much ram as you can fit in your computer.

GPU Settings
Photo shop CS4 and CS5 leverage the GPU on your computerís video adapter to speed screen redraw operations. For Photo shop to access the GPU, the video adapter must have a GPU that supports OpenGL. It also requires at least 128 MB of RAM, and a driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0.

Use a fast enough processor
The speed of the computerís central processing unit, or CPU limits the processing speed of Photo shop. Photo shop CS4 requires a PowerPC G5 or multi core Intel processor (Mac OS) or a 1.8 GHz or faster processor (Windows). Photoshop CS5 requires a multi core Intel processor (Mac OS) or a 2 GHz or faster processor (Windows).
All Photoshop features are faster on a multiprocessor system, although some features take greater advantage of the additional processing power than others. There is a law of diminishing returns with multiple processors: The more processors you use, the less you get from each additional processor. Therefore, Photoshop isn't necessarily four times as fast if you have four microprocessors.

The features they are talking about are exactly what I described above. Video transitions, video overlays, fading videos overlayed into incoming streams along with music and crazy font rendering. These sorts of things chew up ram very very quickly and previewing them is next to impossible with little to no ram as everything gets cached. Resulting in a laggy time consuming experience. I think you'd be surprised at how much ram gets chewed up just adding in extended credits to a film especially if there is still video footage in the back ground.

I have also edited on laptops and it SUCKS!
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 30, 2011 at 08:10 PM.