Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2011, 05:45 PM
Rookie

Default Gaming Build - please provide feedback:)

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to this forum after seeing it pop up a few times on my product reviews. I wanted to build a decent gaming computer so I've come up with 2 possible outcomes. My main goal is to run Diablo 3 on high settings without hiccups. Here i go:

Intel I5 2500k - $240
Asus P8P67 Pro - $190
G.skill Sniper Series 8 Gb - $50(MIR $15) so $35
Gigabyte Radeon 6870 HD Windforce GDDR5 $190 (MIR 40) so $150
WDCavier Green 2TB $180(MIR $50) so $130
Recommendation for case?? Budget is around $25-50
Recommendation on Power SUpply(nothing crazy as well, Long as it works good). $50 lets just say?

Total = $820(not including tax) and assuming I get the boxing day prices.

Or replace Intel with AMD

amd phenom X6 1100T Black Edition - $200
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 with Kingston HyperX 8GB for $135 bundle @ Canada Computers Boxing week.

Total with everything on top but with AMD Proc and MOBO = $690 excluding tax

How does that sound for a decent gaming system? Please provide feedback and let me know if anything is not compatible. THanks :D
Old December 23, 2011, 08:14 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Case you ask? Cooler Master HAF 912. It's about $50. It will fit your needs.
NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Online PC Discount Store, Buy Computer Accessories

If your not planning on OCing (You didn't pick a CPU cooler, I'm guessing not) BUT if not, seriously consider cutting back on the motherboard. A board about $100-170 will suffice.

The Power Supply.. I don't have a definite answer. You do not want to cheap out on the power supply, try to find a really decent one for a good price. Take it from me, I cheap-ed out on a PSU and it died after 6 months. Thankfully, it did not take any hardware with it. Find one from a good company with lots of reviews. I recommend Corsair.

Things to consider about this build....

Will you honestly need 2TBs? Hard drives are expensive!! It would be very difficult to fill 1tb even if you have massive amounts of movies and games and music. Heck, I have trouble doing it. Try to look into saving some money here.

Good choice on the CPU and GPU though.
Old December 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Rookie

Hey Raz,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry I wasn't 100% clear on what I wanted to do.

Yes I would like to OC with this new build b/c i never tried OC before.

In regards to the HD, you are right, i was just being silly and looking at the Canadacomputers Boxing day deal so i Just added it in.

Well If i decide to go with AMD build(Which I think I will then cuz of $) then im within that range for the Mobo since Canada Computer has a deal on Boxing day.

So the 2 builds would be good enough for Diablo 3 you think? or are you not a gamer? :)
Old December 24, 2011, 01:29 AM
Rookie

+1 on the hd and a good power supply. Prices are ridiculous right now cause of the flood. Just get 1tb or something that will get you by until prices drop. Saving a few bucks on a psu isn't worth it, if it goes it can take out your entire system. If that happens you'd be like " damn i wish i spent that extra 30-50$ on a power supply, now i'm out hundreds of $ $ $". Even if your under warranty the down time + shipping cost isn't worth the savings :p. Also a better psu will give you a more stable OC/system
Old December 24, 2011, 05:27 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Diablo III, isn't going to be a VERY PC intense game. I've helped build a couple people's computer's to ONLY max out Starcraft II, and I think Diablo III is built on the same engine. Your builds are MORE than enough for that game. From what I know SC2 is pretty much CPU capped after this point at 1080p and there's not much point in going farther than that.

People will always say the i5 2500k IS the better CPU than the 1100t (It is) However, in terms of price but they always forget to factor in the motherboard is still expensive for the intel brands. I play with a couple of guys who have a 1100t and have a Radeon HD 6970. They play BF3 on high/ultra with playable graphics.

If your looking to OC a little on a budget.. I usually recommend this CPU cooler:
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus: $30

In terms of PSU: I'd find a nice 600-650watt PSU from Corsair, XFX(New versions), OCZ.

(If your gonna play Diablo III and maybe a couple of other games like MW3 or Skyrim, you don't need to OC Like, your gonna see a difference between 60+ fps.)
Old January 1, 2012, 12:44 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sweet :)
Old January 1, 2012, 01:15 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just a note about the HDD 2TB may be excessive 1TB should suffice unless you are planning on storing DVD or blu-ray iso files also try not to get a "green" drive unless you're using the drive for backup or just storage. If it's WD you're looking into get their Caviar Black series they're a 7200rpm drive. The green drives have intellipower which will have slightly lower performance of a regular 7200rpm drive. Just something you may want to look into since you're using this for gaming and may affect your load times.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old January 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, forget the 2TB Green. I run two greens as media drives and while they're acceptable in that use, it is WAAAY to slow to use as a boot drive. You're much better of going with a WD Black.
Also, as has been mentioned while the 2500K is technically the better processor, you won't have any problems with the 1100T. It will be capable of playing every current game, and you'll pick it and the accompanying board for cheaper. I'd suggest looking at the M5A97. It has the 9-series chipset as well as a couple of USB3 ports and 4 SAta 6Gb/s.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old January 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

surely a quad core would be better price - performance than the 6 core (and probably better at single threaded apps) since he's gaming I'd suggest the 965 Black? Should be more than enough and save a few more bucks.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:37 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

stick with 2500 if you do not intend do buy high end cooling. 2500 is in fact better than 2500k when both are not OC.
If you really intend to OC, go for a Z68 mobo. Asrock Z68 Pro3 is at a good price/functions mobo :D