Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21, 2011, 09:00 AM
Top Prospect

Default RAM and SSD Recommendations

This January, I am building a new gaming/OC rig. I will be using some components from previous build (PSU/GPUs/Case), so I only need CPU, Motherboard, RAM, and SSD. For the board and CPU, I am looking at Asus Z68 deluxe with a 2500k. I know there is no real reason to buy the Z68 board (won't use the SSD Cache), but it seems to be the most up to date. For the SSD, I am looking for something that is plug/play and somewhat stable. I am looking at the 120 GB range either Crucial M4, Kingston HyperX, or Corsair Force GT. Any recommendations? Also, I am looking at a 16 GB RAM kit. Any suggestions?
Old December 21, 2011, 10:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

For the SSD, my choice would be Intel, Crucial or Corsair. If you're gaming and doing a moderate OC, 16GB is unnecessary and most probably you'll never utilize it. Get 8GBs instead and you could always add more later if you need and it would definitely be cheaper next time. I'd recommend GSkill 8GB DDR3-1600s.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Top Prospect

Besides RAM cache, I will never fully utilize 16 GB ram. As far as upgrade goes, I am better off with a single kit. Had several issues with OC with multiple kits. For an SSD, it's about chipset/controller correct? Besides that all you are really paying for is support/CS and software? I will chose stability over performance.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Since the X79 platform came out, there are quite a number of quad channel DDR3 kits being sold and you could use that as well for your dual channel configuration if you deem it necessary. Keep in mind that having that many sticks will stress the CPU's integrated memory controller and possibly prevent you to achieve slightly higher clocks than you would with fewer sticks. The SSD brands that I mentioned are good and stable but omit any Sandforce based SSDs.
Old December 21, 2011, 11:57 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You may want to buy your RAM before then, thanks to Eld for letting me know about this Brace Yourself for Higher RAM Prices, Adata Says - HotHardware
Old December 21, 2011, 01:02 PM
Top Prospect

I am well aware of the increase in RAM prices, but honestly, I am broke until December 30. Hopefully they won't go up too much.
Old December 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Personally, I would opt for the Corsair Vengeance LP for the Ram and either a Corsair Performance PRO (not Perf 3 model) or the Crucial M4 or the Intel 510 for the SSD. All three are "plug and play". Run in AHCI mode with the MSAHCI drivers and you will get TRIM..which makes things even easier for those drives.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 21, 2011, 03:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Vengeance or Ripjaw/Ripjaw X/Sniper SE/ECO memory, I personally think the Ripjaw series are better overall, very good speed/price.

For SSD the ones recomended, and I know alot of folks will not agree with such, but myself I am using an OCZ Agility 3 60Gb(the 120 is slightly faster) and I couldn`t be happier, I wouldn`t recomend the Vertex, but apprently the Solid 3 is great as well.

So M4, Intel 510, Force/Force GT, Agility 3/Solid 3, Performance PRO, I would simply look at the prices/specs first, the M4 are very highly rated, and generally Micron does have issues, but at the same time, they have probably the best way of doing Firmware, let the drive maker optimize it themselves :)

I would go for 2x4 or 4x4gb sticks though, less sticks usually better OC headroom, well that is unles you want to pay a bunch for Dominator GT or similar, also like someone pointed out, you could look at a quad channel kit, you may get a nice kit for decent price that way and it should work just fine(though you may have to set timings and such yourself which is no biggie)
Old December 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
Top Prospect

The M4 does have great reviews, but it also seems a bit pricy. I have heard great things and bad things about the corsair force gt. Beside that, my color scheme will be blue and white, and that thing is red.