Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2011, 03:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default New Build Help: Case Selection

PLEASE when POST threads asking for input on system builds tell us...

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

Gaming, gaming and oh yeah gaming (and my physics homework).

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$240-360 Canadian.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

Canada, Edmonton region.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.

Corsair fanboy with respect to cases.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

All of my current parts will be transferred to the new case.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.

I have looked at 50+ cases.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

Plan to overclock on water.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?

ASAP. It is christmas break and I won't have time during the winter semester.

9. What resolution do you use?

1080p

The above information IS NEEDED, in order that WE can help YOU make wise judgments on YOUR purchases

I found this on another forum. Any credit of this goes to Blain from AnandTech.

Sorry for the prescribed wall of text. I plan on upgrading my old old thermaltake xazer into a new case that I hope will last 5-10 years.

My main question is whether to get the 800D or if there exists a comparable case at a comparable price that is better than the 800D seeing as it was released in 2009.

Is there some uber case that can handle internal water cooling like the 800D that doesn't require cutting up the case? Or should I just go buy the 800D?

Thanks for your time :D
Old December 20, 2011, 05:21 PM
Rookie

This isn't a Corsair case but it looks amazing, the Aerocool PredatorX is full tower and has as much room as the 800D. It is also much cheaper. You want to use a watercooler? Even though it doesn't come with a rear 120/140 fan, it doesnt matter as that is where your CPU water cooler fan will sit. However, it does have a different aesthetic style than the 800D so you might not like how it looks. It also has very very good build quality which will make it last as long as you said you wanted it to.

Xpredator Black
Old December 20, 2011, 05:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

if your willing to look at fractal cases the arc midi is really nice and it supports a double thick 240 rad in the top and if your a little creative a slime 240 between the hdd cages and the back of the right side panel. but if you have to have a corsair case the obsidian series is the way to go.
Old December 20, 2011, 10:19 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks guys! Wow that fractal case is like an obsidian series in features but looks much cleaner. I will actually have to split hairs to decide the fractal vs obsidian series. The xpredator is kick ass too, tons of room.
Old December 22, 2011, 09:27 AM
Rookie

WC the only reason you want an EATX case? The 800D is huge.

The Antec P280 is also a EATX which fit all your gear, and its about $100-150 cheaper.

Antec P280 XL-ATX Tower Case Black 3X5.25 2X2.5 6X3.5IN 2X120MM Top 1X120MM Rear Front USB3.0 No PSU - Antec - P280
Old December 23, 2011, 02:19 PM
Banned

My System Specs

If you want a BIG CASE(it fits xl-atx, e-atx, HPTX) with lots of room for wc, and you are on a budget go with the Xigmatek Elysium
XIGMATEK
It only costs about 180/190 "us moneys"/dollars