Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2011, 02:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Will this setup allow me to OC my new CPU?

Hello to all of you guys!!

I'm sankukai from Nicaragua once again and I am happy to announce that I will be finally building my new rig this coming week!!! As such, I have two questions for which I'll need the collective wisdom of folks here at the hardware canucks forums in order to use my new rig in the best possible manner.

Of course I have to start by posting my (fairly modest I must admit) new rig's specifications

CPU: Core i5-2500K
Motherboard: Asus P8P67-M( regular edition not pro)
PSU: XFX Pro750W Core Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GFX: XFX Radeon HD 6870
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHas 24 DVD-ROM
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 320 GB for OS and
1 TB Seagate barracuda 7200.12 for storage
Case: mid-size, chinese-made generic case ( I know, I know, it's not really the best but my budget is kind of constrained at this point so this will have to do, at least for now)

Now, since I purchased the 2500K, I am planning on doing some mild overclocking to no more than 4.0 GHz. Before I actually do this though, I wanted to know what you guys think about my current setup and the PSU that I'll be using. Will it be enough to properly power all of my components and still allow me to OC the CPU to 4.0 GHZ and keep it stable for the long term? or will I have to leave out one or more components in order to achieve this?

My other question is related to the OC itself. Since I am planning to attempt to OC the CPU I'm in some doubt as to what aftermarket cooler to purchase. After having done some research on coolers that cost less than 50 dollars, I am left with two potential choices: the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm. Both seem to be fairly good at keeping fairly cool temps in mildly overclocked processors. For me, however, given the mid-size case I'll have to use ( for a few months at least) I am not sure which of the two would fit best into my system given the limited space. Do you guys have any suggestions in this regard? Is one better than the other in terms of cooling potential/better size?

I would really appreciate any suggestions concerning these two questions. I imagine most folks here have been building and modding systems for longer than I have been a member of the site, so your experience and skill would be much appreciated!!

thanks a lot guys!!
Old December 19, 2011, 03:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Hey sankukai,

First of congrats on new build. So addressing your first concern your 750W power supply is more than enough to power and over clock your CPU to upwards of 1.45 V. You will not be getting anyways near this so you have nothing to worry about. In fact you are fine adding a second graphic card with your current set up and still over-clocking without issues.

As for your second question the hands down number one choice between those two coolers is the Hyper 212 EVO, its been used to great effect achieving 5.0 GHZ on an i5 2500K without many issues. Its also worth the price and you wont have to worry about changing it if you decide to go for a more heavy overclock.

Just some additional Info, the difference between the Plus and Evo:
Evo has a quieter Fan about 3-4 db lower
Evo has slightly better cooling potential some reviews show about 1C-3C difference between the Two

Last edited by r3quiem; December 19, 2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old December 19, 2011, 03:07 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Without knowing for sure what case you're using, it might be better if you were to get the motherboard installed in order to get a better idea of the clearance you'll have. I'd like to say for sure that the Hyper 212+ would fit, but it was an awfully close fit in my last cheepo mid tower case build so it'd be better to have measurements.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 20, 2011, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks so much for the input both requiem and sswilson!!!

Since you said that my PSU is more than enough to power my OC CPU and other components, I got thinking, what if I tried to OC my GXF card as well? Do you think this is feasible given my setup?

Any suggestions on this guys??

Anyway, thanks for you comments guys:)
Old December 20, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can oc your radeon fine on that PSU. I was running a GTX 460 a 9800GTX+ and a GTS 250 off a XFX of 650W only so you will be fine.
Old December 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I would be quite skeptical of the ability of that motherboard in terms of overclocking. I used the non-M version of that board for my friend's build and couldn't overclock the CPU at all. It could be due to the lack of familiarity of the new BIOS GUI, limited motherboard capabilities, bad chip, or just my plain newbie-ness. Regardless, my experience with the P8P67 board wasn't great, in terms of overclocking. Operating at stock is completely acceptable with all the functionality I needed.