Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 17, 2011, 10:37 AM
Rookie

Default New gaming build for a friend [1500 budget]

Hi Everyone,

Helping a friend build his first gaming rig. He isn't very technical but I agreed to help him if he would build it with me

He will be sharing this with the rest of his family so the basics like internet/office/movies. He would like to play older games but also try out new games like SKYRIM and things from the Total War series. I don't think he would be doing any OCing at this time but it is nice to have that feature there if he chooses. Monitor I choose runs at 1900x1200

He will be needing everything from monitor --> mouse

We would like to purchase everything from Memory Express, Inc. - Computer Parts & Laptop Computers in Canada

I put together a sample build here http://i.imgur.com/MtfKy.png

Looking at a quick pricematch I've found most of those parts can be had for 10 bucks cheaper each so we are looking closer to 1400 at this time.

- Few things i'm not sure about are GPU
- HD? Should we pick a 128 for now and buy a HD when they get cheaper? He has an external HD right now that holds his music/movies. Or do we pickup maybe a 64gig SSD and a 500gig HD for the same price as the 128gig SSD.

They also have this bundle on the homepage right now: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard w/ Intel Core

Is that motherboard a better choice?
Old December 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Looks good other then the GPU, i'd grab a EVGA classified 560 Ti 448 core. I'd grab the UD3 mobo, but I am biased towards gigabyte lol they treated me better then ASUS.
Old December 17, 2011, 12:57 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adzsask View Post
Looks good other then the GPU, i'd grab a EVGA classified 560 Ti 448 core. I'd grab the UD3 mobo, but I am biased towards gigabyte lol they treated me better then ASUS.
Cool thanks, didn't know about that GPU. Just checked out the review here on HC and it looks awesome
Old December 17, 2011, 01:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As this is a public computer that is shared by many and with family members who might be less computer savvy I would suggest that he should strictly forget about overclocking. It is bound to have some hiccups every now if overclocked and then and without him all the time to troubleshoot it would be a safer bet to run it on stock.

If you would go as I suggested, he could probably do just as well with a Core i5 2400 and a cheaper H67 motherboard. With the savings you could probably add more for a bigger 23" monitor. The monitor you chose, Asus VE228H is a 1080P resolution at 21.5", the couple of inches more could mean a lot in terms viewing space.

You could probably save a little bit with a set of GSkill RAMs instead.
GSKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB) at Memory Express

For the GPU, a GTX570 or GTX560 Ti 448 will do and if more performance is needed, wait till the next gen cards come out. Get the 128GB SSD instead and 60GB runs out pretty fast when you have a bloated OS installed leaving you at least 40GB of space left. The HDD prices should come down pretty soon next year, he could wait.
Old December 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have overclocked everything i have touched (including family pc's) and they have all held the overclocks and are still stable. It is all in the overclockers skill how stable the machine is (my 950 has been 4.2+ since the OS was put on)
Old December 17, 2011, 08:22 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
I have overclocked everything i have touched (including family pc's) and they have all held the overclocks and are still stable. It is all in the overclockers skill how stable the machine is (my 950 has been 4.2+ since the OS was put on)
I never said that you couldn't get it to be perfectly stable but as with anything that is being pushed to its limits, its reliability will decrease and you would have to constantly monitor for any anomalies that might happen. Besides, how much would someone's father or your family member gain from having their PC 500MHz faster? We could tell the difference but would they(family, mainstream users)?

Most of my family members or the mainstream users in general are not even bothered in monitoring their PC. I however can't even turn on the PC without having a temp probe on my desktop. They could hardly tell the difference at stock and in the long run, a SSD is way better in terms of masking systems performance. It does not need to be defragged and its increased responsiveness regardless of how powerful your rig is makes it suitable for a family PC.
Old December 18, 2011, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Look at my build everything on the list cost me $1500 including mouse and keyboard (Razer Naga and Lycosa).
Old December 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
I never said that you couldn't get it to be perfectly stable but as with anything that is being pushed to its limits, its reliability will decrease and you would have to constantly monitor for any anomalies that might happen. Besides, how much would someone's father or your family member gain from having their PC 500MHz faster? We could tell the difference but would they(family, mainstream users)?

Most of my family members or the mainstream users in general are not even bothered in monitoring their PC. I however can't even turn on the PC without having a temp probe on my desktop. They could hardly tell the difference at stock and in the long run, a SSD is way better in terms of masking systems performance. It does not need to be defragged and its increased responsiveness regardless of how powerful your rig is makes it suitable for a family PC.
LOL If I overclocked my dad's PC he would thank me, he is a pc tech. As for the rest of my family, they wouldn'y know any difference, but guess what I take care of my whole family's computers so they don't have to worry about temps and such, that is my job. As for overclocking, I do it because I can, and free performance is my favorite kind.
Old December 18, 2011, 12:32 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
LOL If I overclocked my dad's PC he would thank me, he is a pc tech. As for the rest of my family, they wouldn'y know any difference, but guess what I take care of my whole family's computers so they don't have to worry about temps and such, that is my job. As for overclocking, I do it because I can, and free performance is my favorite kind.
Wait till you get a real paying job and far away from home. You family members(your dad not included) will call you for every troubleshooting problem in existence and I mean EVERY. Surely they are your family member and you're doing them a favor in return but I'm pretty sure you'll be a little bit disgruntled till you decide that Dell is the way to go for them. Troubleshooting through the telephone ain't easy I tell ya.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:29 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
Wait till you get a real paying job and far away from home. You family members(your dad not included) will call you for every troubleshooting problem in existence and I mean EVERY. Surely they are your family member and you're doing them a favor in return but I'm pretty sure you'll be a little bit disgruntled till you decide that Dell is the way to go for them. Troubleshooting through the telephone ain't easy I tell ya.
You are funny! I am 28 and married with children, moved out at 14 years old. Never once has my dad helped me with anything involving a PC. Also live in a small city, so everyone is a 5-10 min drive away. I would never ever give a family member, or friend a pre built PC, way way overpriced, I like tinkering and money lol so I will keep building and maintaining them myself (had 3 calls in 4 years of builds, 2 fixed in 10 mins by me, 1 was a few minute call guiding the person)