Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
No worries. I just wanted to put a review of tested systems for the amd vs i3 argument to let it come to an end (to each their own for a decision).

For the ram clearance I honestly have no idea. Sorry if I missed it elsewhere in the thread, but what are your plans for graphics/CPU? If you aren't going with a very high end dual GPU setup maybe consider saving a few bucks and getting a 990x or 970 based board. Can't remember what site it was on, but I read a review on ASUS 990FX vs 990X vs 970 and both 990 were able to reach the same OC (if I recall correctly) and the 970 was a bit lower (but a lot cheaper board). For the cooler you won't be going wrong with either hyper 212. The EVO is supposed to cool a few degrees better, but I would base it more on the price when you are purchasing.

EDIT: found the review if you are interested

Asus M5A99X EVO and Asus M5A97 EVO: two Simpler Mainboards for AMD Bulldozer - X-bit labs
Well my plan is to go with a AMD bulldozer(either 8150 or 8170,if it is out when i build,or if i am willing to wait for it),start with the 8gb of ram i listed(but buy another 8gb a year later if i feel i need it),for the video card i am planing on getting 1 MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 2GB to start,and picking up another 1 or 2 a year later if i think i need it,i'm also planing on going with the Cooler Master HAF-X case(but install a second 200mm on the top,and a 120mm in the GPU brace),a corsair 1050w psu,and a 60GB SATA 3 SSD,then i will reuse my mouse,keyboard,monitor,and my 1.5TB hard drive from my current rig.
Also i do plan on doing some overclocking(i have tried on my current rig,XFX 680i mobo,with a q9450 cpu,and i can't even hit 3.2ghz stable,in fact it's only about 85% stable at stock clocks lol).
Old December 13, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What do you plan on using this computer for (other than gaming)? IMO you will be CPU limited if you start running xfire 6970 on a BD CPU in any CPU intensive games. The HWC review of the 8150 has all test systems using a gtx 460. Even with that mid range card the 8150 is limiting FPS in many games. FX-8150 review. For example in Farcry 2 it looses to a i5 2500k by 20fps for min fps and 35fps average.
Desktop: Antec Three Hundred, Z77-D3H, 3570K undervolt @4.1ghz with Zalman Optima Cooler, Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb@1866mhz, HD 6950(unlocked shaders and OC'd), Bitfenix Fury 750w, WD Black 1TB, Intel 530 120GB
Away from home light Gamer: Acer Aspire 15.6", A8-3500m undervolt and OC to 2Ghz, 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance, Crucial M500 240gb
Old December 13, 2011, 04:31 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
What do you plan on using this computer for (other than gaming)? IMO you will be CPU limited if you start running xfire 6970 on a BD CPU in any CPU intensive games. The HWC review of the 8150 has all test systems using a gtx 460. Even with that mid range card the 8150 is limiting FPS in many games. FX-8150 review. For example in Farcry 2 it looses to a i5 2500k by 20fps for min fps and 35fps average.
I plan on gaming,recording gameplay with fraps(can't do this on my current rig lol,and i use a GTX460 SE 1GB),video editing,i also want to teach myself photoshop(never used it before),coding,and 3D modeling,cause i want to go to school at some point for making video games,but would like to learn as much as i can while i save up for the school fees.
Also i almost always have these programs running,google chrome(w/4 or more tabs),Skype,Steam,Utorrent(for legal torrents),CPUID Hardware Monitor,TeamSpeak,WMP or VLC,and 2-5 folders open,and sometime i'll alt-tab a game and go look something up.

Also for gaming,all i want is to be able to play(and record if i want) all games smoothly on max settings.

EDIT:about the benchmarks for the bulldozers,i don't trust them,cause i talked to a guy on youtube who owns an 8150 and he said this "ya ppl are hating on it without owning it. Also what alot of ppl forget it how easy this thing is to overclock. I got 4.5ghz across all 8 cores with my h70 on it. It still only reaches 53 degrees Celsius and the max temp is 61ish so i can still go higher. I do a lot of gaming, video editing(premiere pro), and audio editing (Pro Tools). I can say first hand this thing performs excellent and has never let me down. My videos export quicker than my 1090t for sure. I feel the benchmarks don't accurately represent this possessor. Plus there is a problem with how window 7 read the cache. There is a 10%-15% increase in the windows 8 developer preview. Plus i have seen benchmarks on websites that show lower results then what i am getting @ the same clock speed. Intel owns 99.9%(in theory) of the benchmarking industry so why wouldn't they tip the results in their favor. Intel doesn't play the market "fair" and this is one of the many reason i do not support them.

Intel vs AMD wont matter much longer if Intel keeps giving away all their money in lawsuits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_v._Intel"
This is also one of the many reasons that i want to go with AMD.
Old December 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had the UD5 you are looking at...It's 16X PCI slots are side by side so for a proper Crossfire the cards would be back to back with no extra space for airflow unless you want to use one 16X and one 8X slot.....took it back and got the UD7, but I think the UD3 actually has the proper spacing as well. Only mention it because you are talking about using RAM coolers to get long life and might want to consider long GPU life too.

Razz
Old December 13, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its cool with me if you feel morally compelled to go with AMD. That is a valid reason IMHO....BUT for the love of god DO NOT get a BD chip. Get a 1090T. They OC very well as well...and they are six REAL cores vs 8 fake cores (more like 4 real cores with a bunch of half cores tacked on). Trust me BD wont be faster for encoding and gaming than the PII 1090T. I own a 1090T and it kicks major arse for encoding. The fact that the PIIs are also damn cheap AND uses less juice is also a big point in their favour.

Ram does not need to be actively cooled. As long as your case had good air flow they will be perfectly fine unless you really plan to push the juice to them.

For CPU coolers...get the 212+ and save your money....OR go for a sealed water unit. A H70 or H80 from corsair or a Antec Kuhler would make your OC'ed chip very...very happy....plus would not dump all that heat inside your case. ;)

Listen to raz' above as GPU spacing is VERY important.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razamatraz View Post
I had the UD5 you are looking at...It's 16X PCI slots are side by side so for a proper Crossfire the cards would be back to back with no extra space for airflow unless you want to use one 16X and one 8X slot.....took it back and got the UD7, but I think the UD3 actually has the proper spacing as well. Only mention it because you are talking about using RAM coolers to get long life and might want to consider long GPU life too.

Razz
Ok i will drop the UD5 and get the UD7,thank you for the advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Its cool with me if you feel morally compelled to go with AMD. That is a valid reason IMHO....BUT for the love of god DO NOT get a BD chip. Get a 1090T. They OC very well as well...and they are six REAL cores vs 8 fake cores (more like 4 real cores with a bunch of half cores tacked on). Trust me BD wont be faster for encoding and gaming than the PII 1090T. I own a 1090T and it kicks major arse for encoding. The fact that the PIIs are also damn cheap AND uses less juice is also a big point in their favour.

Ram does not need to be actively cooled. As long as your case had good air flow they will be perfectly fine unless you really plan to push the juice to them.

For CPU coolers...get the 212+ and save your money....OR go for a sealed water unit. A H70 or H80 from corsair or a Antec Kuhler would make your OC'ed chip very...very happy....plus would not dump all that heat inside your case. ;)

Listen to raz' above as GPU spacing is VERY important.
How about this,i will get the BD chip,and try it out,and if it is really as bad as people say,i will return it within the 30 days of getting it,and return the hyper 212+,and then spend money on getting a 1090T or 1100T,and an H70 or better. that good enough?
Also for the ram i will be doing some overclocking,i have taught my self to overclock my cpu on a Q6600,but could only hit 3.2ghz,and my GPU,but on my current rig,i can't OC my ram,it won't boot if i OC it any at all.
So i will be carefully trying to learn to OC my ram on this rig,and like i said i will be getting the cooler master haf-x case and i will be filling it's extra fan slots.