Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

My System Specs

Default AMD build for a friend....

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing. Games, Music, Surfing.

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread. $2243.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. Canada.

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture. 5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. No.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads. Yes.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. Stock speeds, with headroom for tweaking.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? After X-Mas.

9. What resolution do you use? 1080p.

Here's the tentative list of goodies.

M/B - Asus Sabertooth 990FX.
CPU- AMD X8 FX-8150.
PSU - Seasonic 1000w
Case- Lian-Li. PC-X2000.
ODD - LiteOn BRD.
SDD- Intel 120Gb.
HDD- Seagate Grn. 2Tb.
Cooling -Noctua NH-D14
GPU- Sapphire HD 6990 or maybe 2x 6970 in Crossfire.

Better??

Thx Guys!!

JP

Last edited by jef.paas; December 11, 2011 at 05:25 AM. Reason: speeling eeror
Old December 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Don't waste your money on AMD if you have that kind of budget.. go for a 2600k/2700k + z68 setup.
Old December 11, 2011, 07:37 AM
Banned

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Don't waste your money on AMD if you have that kind of budget.. go for a 2600k/2700k + z68 setup.

Thx Supafly!!

JP
Old December 11, 2011, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

6990 or 6970 cf is a waste of money at 1080p, get a 560ti,560ti 448core or a gtx570 instead. And you wont need 1000 watt unless you are running 3cards. Unless your friend wants an extreme overclock which i doubt because he needs your troll ass help building a computer,get a cheaper cooler which does the job, like a 212+ should be good, can do 4.6ghz on a 2500k. Windows installation doesnt take 120gb get a 60/64gb

Seriously if its just for games music and surfing you are totally overdoing it unless he has loads of money

Last edited by Ed103194; December 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old December 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As I have stated before, Intel may be faster, but this doesnt mean AMD is slow, neither are, one just edges above the other, MOST gaming tests, and real world play will not benefit one or the other, the difference will come down during benchmarking, and especially in workload performance, which can differ drastically depending on the work being done.

In some cases AMD bests intel, but no one points that out now, do they? Nor do they really show in what Intel is better, its not always 100% of the time, a better choice, it comes down to the person using it, and how they use it after all.

I say, if someone is making a DUMB choice, then speak out against it, if someone wants an honest opinion about things, such as a new build, why automatically say "go with Intel or you`ll be disapointed/wasting your money" its fud, and BS.

If your freind is more comfy with an AMD build, if that is what he is used to using, why not.

Now if you were planning on this after Xmas, well thats a good time, new GPU should be out or coming out within december-march time frame, so it would be beneficial to see how much better they are then whats available currently(they will come out at a reasonable price for sure)

AMD will be doing thier piledriver chip, sometime within the next couple of months, I`m not saying to hold your breath, but, it is supposed to be better in every regard that bulldozer is lacking right now, might be worth holding off as long as you can, to "see"

Also if you were planning on going bulldozer route, you would be better served with a Phenom II 6 core thuban or 4 core Phenom II such as 955, both can be overclocked quite well, and are alot cheaper then bulldozer ones(not to mention in almost every regard more efficent in single and multi-threaded performance minus 1 or 2 games/apps, and they do not have to be overclocked to 4+Ghz to tell they are fast :P)

I can tell you a few of my picks though.
=====
===
ASUS M5A99X EVO (almost identical to the Sabertooth in every regrard, the only benefit to sabertooth is dual card at x16 or triple x16/x16/x4 if i rember corrently, whereas EVO is x16x8 which will still work fine for dual card use)

For dual card use a good 850-900w power supply will work just fine. A Seasonic gold, NZXT Hale, Corsair, Antec TP or even some silverstone models, though if you want a 1kw power supply thats fine :) Just a little overkill FYI, well that is unless you were going quad gpu or dual x2 cards, or overclocking that bulldozer to high heaven with LN2 :P.

For SSD, I would look around a bit more, there is many other choices out there, some of the OCZ based 3 series, Crucial M4 etc, I would definately be getting one that is around the 500 read/write 60k+iops and be using sata 3.

Secondary hard drive, I myself am a WD user, have been for years, I am using OCZ agility 3 for my OS and Caviar black 640 for my secondary, if you "need" 2tb you got to many movies and pr0n on there :P but WD also has 1tb caviar blue and 2tb caviar blue/green, as does Hitachi and Sammy.

Cases, Lian Li makes excellent cases, pricey, but excellent, I am using a Raven 3 case, it was a pita to wire, and takes time to do so, but the airflow, space, and especially the looks/cooling are amazing. Haf 922/932, Raven 2-E or Raven 3, Cosair 500R would be on my short list.

Cooling, well seeing as you are going to the upper end of what AMD has currently available, why not put the extra bump in cost to a water loop? not that the DH-14 is bad, anything but, however for its cost, you can get something more powerfull for not much more coin to tame that bulldozer beast. I myself use a Hyper 212 push/pull with 2 of the stock bladmaster fans, works very very well, the only thing a D14 is giving you is a "hair" more overhead and maybe 1-2c better temps both pushed to thier limit, especially as you said "a slight overhead" something the Hyper will provide, and something the D14 is costing you extra $ for nothing.

On this note a Cosair H series or Antec Kuhler will be lower cost then a custom loop, and lightly better the Hyper if you really need the extra overhead, though, if "ever" planning on pushing the clock speed envelope you "need" a custom loop as Bulldozer, Sandy-E dissapate a shit ton of heat/power and need the extra cooling.
===============
=========
I like AMD, I really do, and support them as best I can, however, sometimes its worth looking at all sides, its not always a left or right pick, if it floats somewhere in the center, why not support the little guy, if you "really" need the extra power, and will take use of it, then its worth getting the faster more $ choices, in the case of movies, gaming, you honestly do not have a real need or Sandy-E or 2600k, even Bulldozer is kind of not the greatest choice. A 2500K or Phenom II x4-x6 will work just fine, just look at the $, easier to see what is really worth or not worth the extra cost.

One last thing, to previous poster, if CFX is a "wasted" at 1080p, then why do some many folks do so, better yet, if downing 6970 cfx then why even mention GTX570. if you have the monitors to use it at its best which is 1920x1080 or above and 120Hz to let them breathe fine, it most certainly is not a waste.

Graphics quality settings, "eye" candy, or even eye-finity can take a huge deal or processing power. If it were me, I would not pay the extra for 6970 though, plenty of darn good 6950 are availble that overclock well enough to be as good s 6970 and cheaper to boot, XFX XXX 6950 2gb dual fan(830 core speed) I guess I better tell all my buddies that they wasted their money on thier 1920x1080 1920x1200 setups cause they are usless :P.

Oh and just cause I already posted all my thoughts/opinions Bulldozer might push alot of heat/power hungry, and need extreme cooling to hit really high clock speeds, but so does Sandy-E, if you want them running in the 4.5Ghz range and higher you better make sure you have enough power, and 100% great cooling, neither of them are "efficent" they were made to best each other, and in the world of enthusiasts and benchmarkers, power/heat are part of the game :O

Last edited by Dragonstongue; December 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM. Reason: changes
Old December 11, 2011, 11:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Perhaps his friend really likes AMD. No need for the above posts guys. Take a look at posting history before resvering judgement.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 11, 2011, 11:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Perhaps his friend really likes AMD. No need for the above posts guys. Take a look at posting history before resvering judgement.

-ST
if you saw the original post, you would see why we thought he was trolling.
Old December 11, 2011, 11:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I did, he changed it, so I deleted the unnecessary comments. Enough already, if you're not contributing to the discussion of his build don't post in the thread.
Old December 11, 2011, 01:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ok, just seeing if you knew why we were calling him on trolling.
as to the build you're looking at. I'm pretty much with Dragonstongue. you have a serious overkill CPU there. you only really need a quad core, maybe a 6 core if you really felt like it.
the graphics card is overkill, and IMO, don't go with Sapphire. I would suggest either XFX for AMD cards, or EVGA if you decide to go NVIDIA. for this I would suggest the 560TI. good price with tons of spare horsepower in reserve for gaming. it's not the greatest, but it's very good for the price you pay.
the PSU you've decided on it overkill as well, you would probably need a max of 850, for a single card you could use even less.
and your CPU cooling is a bit lacking considering the rest of the build. I would say go with something in the corsair H series.
Old December 11, 2011, 03:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

THread locked. Not on account of the people trying to help.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Closed Thread