Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   First Computer Build Help Linus (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/49171-first-computer-build-help-linus.html)

Mark Romero December 6, 2011 11:03 PM

First Computer Build Help Linus

Hello, Linus I was Wondering if you could take a look at the parts i have chosen for my first build.
(oh and i will be using this computer to play bf3 and record gameplay)

PSU- Antec High Current Gamer 620W 48A 24PIN ATX12V V2.3 Active PFC 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply 135mm Fan

Case- Coolermaster Haf 912 Black Mid Tower ATX Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT No PS Front USB Sound

Motherboard- MSI 970A-G45 ATX AM3+ 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 CrossFire 2PCI-E1 2PCI SATA3 USB3.0 GBLAN Motherboard

RAM- Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

CPU- AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 6 Core Processor 3.3GHZ Socket AM3 Retail Box

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB 3.5IN 16MB Cache SATA3 Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD

Cd/DVD Drive- Samsung DVDRW 22X SATA Black OEM

GPU- MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI-E Video Card

OS- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT SP1 DVD OEM

Thanks Feed Back Appreciated Oh and im trying to keep it at about 900-950$ as of now on NCIX it about 903$

Linus December 6, 2011 11:19 PM

You will need a secondary drive to record gameplay for sure, and I really can't recommend AMD platforms these days with a straight face...

Otherwise looks pretty good though.

Lyserberg December 7, 2011 03:01 AM

Yeah i agree with Linus at this point
I would proabbly grab a GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P great board with Ivy bridge support and PCIE GEN 3 READY,it's just a killer value,combine it with a 2500k,i refrain from seagate drives because they used to die on me and other PPL too,those drives tend to be less reliable,My suggestion will be a 1TB Samsung F3 drive for your OS and Games,and based on the amount of time you wanna spend on gameplays i would suggest getting 1TB or more also a samsung Drive,but not raid 0 otherwise it still be a problem
FRAPS is a very write speed demanding software,it has no compression whatsoever,it take the data directly from the frambuffer and flesh an AVI file with it,so in games with real time loading such as COD,FEAR 3,even FIFA 12 they will lag so much because the harddrive will get so confused writing Your gameplay data,and saving/loading your games

Snarl December 7, 2011 03:52 AM

As far as AMD Builds go it's pretty solid although I'd try for a 990FX unit. The GTX 560 Ti 448 or GTX 570 might be better if you can swing it (Or AMD 6970/6950 if you swing that way) the second drive is a good suggestion (1TB Units are pretty cheap).

Mark Romero December 7, 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 577140)
You will need a secondary drive to record gameplay for sure, and I really can't recommend AMD platforms these days with a straight face...

Oh ok thank you linus ill switch to an i5 2500k then and 1tb drive

Mark Romero December 7, 2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyserberg (Post 577175)
Yeah i agree with Linus at this point
I would proabbly grab a GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P great board with Ivy bridge support and PCIE GEN 3 READY,it's just a killer value,combine it with a 2500k,i refrain from seagate drives because they used to die on me and other PPL too,those drives tend to be less reliable,My suggestion will be a 1TB Samsung F3 drive for your OS and Games,and based on the amount of time you wanna spend on gameplays i would suggest getting 1TB or more also a samsung Drive,but not raid 0 otherwise it still be a problem
FRAPS is a very write speed demanding software,it has no compression whatsoever,it take the data directly from the frambuffer and flesh an AVI file with it,so in games with real time loading such as COD,FEAR 3,even FIFA 12 they will lag so much because the harddrive will get so confused writing Your gameplay data,and saving/loading your games

Oh and thank you as well your info helped alot too i think it will be worth the extra money then

Mark Romero December 7, 2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linus (Post 577140)

One more thing what motherboard would you suggest for the intel i5 2500k

Linus December 7, 2011 12:07 PM

Anything from the big 3 (ASUS, GB, MSI) is a good choice. You should be getting a Z68 board and then just figuring out which features you want from there, then balancing that with how much you want to spend.

dma0991 December 7, 2011 12:18 PM

You should also consider spending a little bit more for a decent air cooler like the Noctua NH-D14 for some overclocking with the Core i5 2500K. It would be a waste to get a Z68 motherboard with a Core i5 2500K and not do any overclocking.

Lyserberg December 7, 2011 01:54 PM

LOL!
i already talked about the board,look at my primary post,GIGABYTE ones are killer in terms of value
@dma0991 even if he doesn't OC the i5 2500k still a perfomance killer for the phenom 2 X6,an OC over 4GHZ might help a bit,but the guys seems to be on a budget so even if he couldn't OC his system will work just fine,besides i would reccomend OC if he wanted to throw a GTX590 there,but 560Ti won't be bottlenecked anyway by a non-OCed 2500k.
My point is yeah sure you can OC,but if you're on a budget more than being focused applying a huge cooling to keep good temps,i wouldn't reccomend OC until you have some bucks