Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2011, 09:13 AM
Rookie

Default 1st build need advice

I am looking for any helpful information or advantages I can get from any experts or anyone familiar with gaming builds. My current prebuilt pc isnt cutting it anymore as these games get more advanced.

I will be using my machine for everyday surfing, videos, wireless and ultimate gaming.
I will be buying parts from the usa and my budget is around $2,100 and I will be overclocking ( a first for me) and im looking for the greatest advantages without being bottlenecked anywhere. I like nvidia and intel and plan on this being about a 2-3 month project. Any insights, opinions, suggestions, advice are greatly appreciated. Below is the setup I have chosen based off of reviews and extensive video searching over the last few weeks.

CPU- Intel i7 Core 2600k 3.4 GHZ Quad Core
Mothrboard- Gigabyte X79-UD7
RAM- Corsair XMS3 Dominator GT DDR3 ram with cooler
HDD- I would like to use my current HDD which has 1TB of space.
Also I have a blu ray player, is this transferrable?
GPU- Nvidia GTX 570 SLI Ready (not sure on that just yet)
Case- Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower
Power Supply- Antec True Power Quattro 1200 W
27" LCD HP Monitor

Questions I have.....

1. Is the i5 better than i7 overclocked or any opinions appreciated on cpu? Looking for fast here?
2. Is the x79 the latest up to date motherboard as i want to future proof my system for a few years?
3. RAM... How much? 8, 16, 32, how many sticks of each (like 2 2gb or 4 1gb as an example) or is 4gb just fine?
4. Can I use my old hard drive and carry over my opearting sytem which is windows 7 or will I have to acquire a new copy and liscense from microsoft as i'll have a new motherboard?
5. On the video cards, is it better to have 2,3 or 4 lower end cards and sli them or 2 or 3 high end sli cards or 1 really bad ass card? Also 8x or 16x and the bandwith are concerns of mine as well?
6. Will 1200 watts of power be enough for this setup?

Again any input, advice or opinions are greatly appreciated as I would like to have high fps, a great resolution and no choppiness without being bottlenecked. Thanks in advance for any insight as it will be greatly asppreciated.

TJ
Old December 3, 2011, 09:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

the 2600k isn't "$100 worht of better" by far. I was originally going to get the i72600k but after reading lots on here I got the i5 2500k and I'm happy with the choice.
Old December 3, 2011, 09:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

1. The Core i7 2600K has its strong points in multithreaded applications but for the best price/performance CPU for a gamer would be the Core i5 2500K and you will hardly notice any difference that is proportional to the extra $100.
2. The X79 platform is not suitable for a future proof rig as it is 'crippled' and most of the features that were meant to be in was not included. The X79 is not very different from a Z68 or P67.
3. 8GB(4GBx2) is sufficient. You could always buy more in the future and it will be cheaper.
4. Check whether your OS copy is an OEM or Retail. You must do a clean format with the HDD with each build, simply transferring the HDD to another machine will not work.
5. A single powerful GPU is always better as you wouldn't have to worry about scaling and micro-stuttering. Most cards will do just fine with x8 or x16.
6. 1200W is overkill. You could just do with any PSU that is 850-1000W.
Old December 3, 2011, 07:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gotta agree with dma,

With dual or more cards, your at the mercy of the support provided for a specific title. Some games you will be better with 2 smaller cards others they will give you little / no benifit and may even be unstable in some cases.
General consensus is get the single largest card you can afford (or need for your res / titles you play)

You will have to re-install your OS.. it's VERY not advisable to swap over (it may work but will be really bad, and that is if you had same type of cpu)

2600 vs 2500, you will see no difference between these unlss your using hyper threading.. Which games just don't do yet. get the 2500k

Ram, 16 Gb is wasted, 8GB is LOADS.

even a 1000W PSU is wasted on anything bar a heavily OC'd system with 2 580's in it, 850 would be enough for 2 560's or 570's
(though i wouldn't want to have a large OC on cpu and gpu's with 2 570's on a 850 watt, it's a bit close depending on what other bits your running)
Also it depends on the quality of the PSU, a really good psu at 850 watts will kick the ass off a larger but worse quality PSU..
Most recommended round these parts are carsair, seasonic etc and anything fro 850 -1000 W will be plenty (Antec are pretty good too though)

What resolution are you using on that monitor?

Really you don't need to OC this rig for gaming, not unless it's a really CPU intensive game (BF3) and even then the GPU will be the main thing.
A single 570/580 will be plenty on 1920x1080, in-fact a 560TI is pretty good (may lack in frames on some more intensive titles with all eye-candy max'd, but is sufficient)
Old December 3, 2011, 10:30 PM
Rookie

Well as of current im not really sure what im using. I pretty much just plug and play really to be honest. I do play the entire bf series including bf3 and some cod games. I am currently using a 27" hp monitor with a prebuilt system and all settings are at low and the window i play in right now is about the size of 16" monitor. Thats whats favorable to play on since its the only size i can use to actually play. My fps avg right now is about 30-32, kinda sucks on a dx10 and a ati 4650 video card on this prebuilt crapper. I want to take advantage of high settings and a really good fps rate but play without choppiness or lag. I cant even react before im dead and I am pretty damn good. BF2 plays great on full screen with no issues, of course settings are on low.

Is an i5 2500k good? or any other reccomendations.
Reccomendations for a future proof motherboard? I want fast, oc ability, current up to date plus future proof and sli capabilities. I dont want sufficient, i want better than that. I want no issues on the battlefield. Def sata III connectors and some sort of wireless?bluetooth combo and if possible a 1 touch oc ability like on the gigabytes.
I have switched to an antec 850 hcp, that good?

I have read somewhere where dual cards is better bc something like one card reads lines 1,3,5,7 and the other reads 2,4,6,8 and then one card strictly physx, something of that nature, can anyone explain?

Do i need to invest in a ssd drive, ive read that its good to boot from ssd and store games on hdd. Is this beneficial, if so what is a good reliable brand i can count on.

I appreciate all the feed back you guys have given me, considering this is my first ever build and im a total noob at this, so sorry for any retarted questions.

TJ
Old December 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstegall82 View Post
CPU- Intel i7 Core 2600k 3.4 GHZ Quad Core
Mothrboard- Gigabyte X79-UD7
X79 is socket LGA2011 and is not compatible with the 2600K which is LGA1155. For gaming, X79 will not benefit you (games don't utilize 12 threads!) vs something like a Z68 board and a 2500K. If you do a lot of video encoding, folding, photoshopping, etc then X79 is the better choice because those apps are multithreaded.
Old December 4, 2011, 12:35 AM
Rookie

Zero, I appreciate the notification of that motherboard note. That would of sucked a big one!!!!
So I have been reading and searching videos all day and here are the revisions I have made, again any insight, advice, opinions or knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Intel i7 2600K 3.4 GHZ Quad Core
Asus Maximus Extreme IV P67
G.Skill RipJaws X 8GB DDR 3 SDRAM Dual Channel 2x4GB
WD 1TB Caviar Black Sata III HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 (one for now)
Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Case
Antec HCP-850w Power Supply (future sli ability)
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler (will this fit)?
Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD any other good brands?
HP 27" LCD Monitor
Windows 7

What do you guys think of my revisions made? Any suggestions, advice or insight? Is there anything else I may need before I start my build? I also have a blu ray player from my old pc, can I just plug and play this piece? Thanks to everyone commenting and giving me advice on my first build. Here are a few other questions....

How far can I overclock?
Will the superclocked edition of the gtx 570 help any?
Is 1 TB HDD enough space for what I have/want?
With this setup what resolution should I be able to achieve without any issues with fps above or at about 60fps?

Thanks again, TJ
Old December 4, 2011, 02:38 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Don't get bought in with the impression that the Core i7 2600K is $100 more expensive therefore it is $100 better than the Core i5 2500K. I've seen through many gaming builds where they want the Core i7 2600K at the expense of a cheaper GPU and ended up regretting after knowing that the difference is minute at best and there is a performance penalty from having HT ON for some games. You could probably squeeze in a GTX580 with the money saved from getting a Core i5 2500K. Any extra performance that you need from the CPU you could get it from a drop in upgrade with IB. Get it if you want to, it is your money after all but you have been advised, that is all I can do.

The most probable OC range for SB is 4.5GHz, more if you are the lucky ones. SOC is a marketing gimmick at best and you could probably OC your GPU out of the box yourself if it comes with an aftermarket cooler. 1TB can be a lot to some and it can be very little to some, you can always buy more next time since it is pretty expensive right now. Read some reviews about it, nobody can give you such an estimate with different games with differing requirements.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:52 PM
Rookie

OK i5 2500K it is after yet some more researching and dmas advice, thanks dma!!!

Anything else anyone has to say or anymore reccomendations.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstegall82 View Post
Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD any other good brands?
HP 27" LCD Monitor
What resolution is the monitor?

May I suggest you get a larger SSD with the money you would have spent on the 2600k?
Larger drives are faster, also it sucks to go from SSD for os and main titles to hdd for other stuff when you will run out of space.
With 60 gig and the size of games these days, you will run out of room fast (even on a 128GB ssd, my steam folder alone is over 60 gig)