Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Two 570's in SLI will destroy a single GTX 580. Don't really need to bump up the ram for futureproofing unless you're a super heavy multi-tasker with server needs.

As far as resolution go, if you're going for immersement and eye candy higher res and more monitors is always better but (don't shoot me on this since I don't play BF2/BF3) usually a lower resolution will help aim if you're hardcore and play competitively. (spoken from a CS and AVA standpoint) I never tried a lower res on mw3 yet.. though I don't really game much nowadays with school and all haha.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I have seen some benchmarks on 1 570 and its gets above 60 which is good or normal I should say. Now the question is, is better to have 2-570s and sli them or 1 580. I will eventually sli in the future but for now which is the best setup. Now how does a having a better resolution help gameplay? I dont want to be crippled in any way and want the greatest advantage. Anymore help would be great. thanks
Little tip: You ALWAYS try and build your PC from the planned monitor (Native Resolution) back to GPU's - Mobo - CPU/RAM - then lastly the PSU you'll need to power everything. As far as SLi 570's vs single 580, you'll get better peformance from the pair of 570's BUT you have to decide what Res you'll be playing on (maybe it would make more sense to go with a single 580 now and then plan on a 2nd 580 in the future....as you have a 1kW PSU picked out).

common Res these days is 1920x1080 (basically the cheapest running 16:9), single 580 GPU would be my preferred for this Resolution.

Higher Resolution equates to larger monitor (24") 1920x1200 (27" - 30") 2560x1440/1600, which results in a non-strecthed 16:9/10 environment with crisper / sharper IQ, wont necessarily "help" gameplay at all, just make the environment look bigger n better ;)

Also, yes you can get a larger monitor running 1920x1080, but imho, the PQ sucks when compared to a 1920x1200. As the 1920x1200 will be 16:10 vs the stretched out 16:9.

Old December 5, 2011, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I like the 16:10 too and I agree on the 580 100%. You cover your bases for now until you can find another used 580 down the road at which point you really kick some ass.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 6, 2011, 07:32 AM
Rookie

Everything with my build seems to be shaping up, I have question on the memory. I have made the switch to the Maximus IV Extreme Z motherboard, with the silver arrow installed, will the g.skill ripjaws series memory fit clearance wise? Also, with this board, what memory do I want to get mhz wise? I know higher is better, but ive been reading about memory being overclocked as well. Someone please enlighten me on this. I didnt realize that soo much can go into one of these builds. Its like the more you get into it the more views, opinions, advice you get and before you know it you cant make up your mind what you want. Again I do appreciate everyone that has given me advice, pointers and suggestions. Thanks again!!
Old December 6, 2011, 08:02 AM
Rookie

Also, once my build is complete, can someone give me like a general checklist or supply me a link of a checklist on what I need to before and after I turn the computer on for the first time. I have never ran a bios system in my life of any kind, ive always just plugged and played, kind of afraid to touch it really. I don't want to fry any components. Lol!! My questions follow....

1. Operating System (just put in cd dive and install from a disc)?
2. How to set hdd and ssd up for boot and storage devices?
3. Where do I access the overclocking utility?
4. On the motherboard itself inside the case do i need to flip any switches or anything?
5. How do I overclock the video card and ram?
6. How to change fan speeds to accomodate for more heat once i begin the oc process?
7. Am i just overreacting here and its a lot simpler or will the computer automatically know everything, kinda stressing on setting this thing up, dont want to screw up and waste money bc I dont know what im doing.

Any help guys would be great. Thanks
Old December 6, 2011, 08:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I am getting the feeling that the Silver Arrow will either be a very tight fit or nearly impossible to fit. You could opt for the Noctua NH-D14 which has almost similar performance compared to the Silver Arrow and I think the 120mm fan on the Noctua will offer more clearance compared to the 140mm fans on the Silver Arrow.

1. Yes
2. BIOS settings, do #2 first before doing #1.
3. BIOS
4. Nope. If you had to ask #4, then this is not a motherboard for you.
5. GPU - MSI Afterburner. RAM - BIOS
6. The fans will ramp up themselves regulated by the motherboard according to a predefined temperature threshold.
7. Computers these days are easier to build than they used to be.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:34 AM
Rookie

In which aspect that it might be tight, like around the ram area, the ram itself or case wise? I have in mind the HAF X from cooler master which is a full tower. I think based off of the picture that you provided that with a little cable management it may work, if not I can revert to another component of smaller proportions. I just realizd that sounded a little rude, no rude intentions at all dma. I appreciate the pic as it helps alot. The reason I asked on the motherboard switches was because on the review from linus off of you tube he mentioned the pcie 16 x switches for which graphics cards slots are being used. So Dma please respond as youve responed the most throughout this thread. Correct me below also.

1. Complete build, turn on pc and run bios 1st. (where do I access bios or does it just pop up)
2. Install operating system 2nd via cd to (ssd or hdd and will it give me the option to choose)?
3. Access the bios oc utility and setup overclocking 3rd.
4. Skip
5. Do i need to setup display settings, overclock here or when im in the gpu afterburner?
6. "Predefined Temperature Threshold" Do I control this in bios? (i guess what im saying is, if i over clock, the fans are automatically going to speed up once it senses more heat or do i set a number in the bios).
7. As far as display settings are concerned is this referring to just in game or for the entire pc no matter what your doing?
8. Can anyone (with my components) give me any round about numbers of what I should overclock at and be safe, like clock speed, bus speed, ram speed, voltage and so on?

Im sorry for asking so many questions everyone, obviously, as you can tell, I know nothing about overclocking. Im such a noob!! Thanks in advance to everyone.
Old December 6, 2011, 10:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It may sound rude but I'd hate to see features go unused and the user ends up paying more for something that might never be utilized. I know some who would be able to make full use of them, even I find the voltage check points on that board are very useful. Sorry if it sounded rude but that is just my perspective on that matter.

If you've bought the board already, then toggling the PCIE switches wouldn't affect anything. It is meant for debugging and find a faulty card without removing it. There are no performance gain from turning OFF the other PCIE slots.

1. DELETE or F2 to access the BIOS, depending on the motherboard make.
2. There are steps while formatting, create NTFS format for your OS drive, SSD or HDD.
3. The board is supposed to have OC on the fly features like ROG Connect or GUI based OC from the desktop(not BIOS), use them.
5. Use Afterburner for OC, display settings and resolution is another matter and dependent on the game you're playing.
6. The motherboard will regulate the fan's RPM automatically according to current temps. You could however alter the GPU's fan speed via Afterburner(GPU only).
8. The common for SB is 4.5GHz easy, more if you're lucky or want to push it beyond that but I can't guarantee that you will be able. BCLK should not be altered, alter the multiplier to 45x * 100MHz = 4.5GHz. You would probably want to stick within 1.35 Vcore +- 0.5V and not be any higher than 1.4V for a 24/7 OC.

Overclocking so easy even your grandma can do it! - YouTube
Old December 6, 2011, 05:00 PM
Rookie

When it comes to the overclocking, is this something i can do later after I have installed my operating system or do I have to worry about the overclcoking of the cpu, ram and gpu before the install of the opearting system. Also, when connecting everything do I need to purchase any additional cordage for better performance or is the supplied cordage ok to use. Im assuming I will not need any additional cordage as well because all are provided via the components or am I wrong here. When it comes to hooking everything up can you go wrong during this process or is pretty much simple? I know you have like your main power stuff which is simple but like gpu, hooked to board or power supply and so on with other components. Also what is the fastest transfer methods of data via the cables 3gb or 6gb sata and all that technical jazz? Sorry again but I just dont know anything guys.
Old December 6, 2011, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Dma, btw thanks for all the support and the video, you have been a great help. Thanks to everyone else also.