Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 5, 2011, 12:23 AM
Rookie

How do you tell what resolution the monitor is? I will accept your advice and I have bumped up to a 120gb ssd.
Old December 5, 2011, 01:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

tell me what model it is. :)
Old December 5, 2011, 08:34 AM
Rookie

So i ended up finding it out, so what can you tell me about it?

Its an HP 2709m.....
Old December 5, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^1920x1080...standard, you wont need much "poop" as far as GPU's go, a single decent GPU will be suffice, with your budget I would suggest a single GTX 580.

If your willing to go a tad more, with that size of monitor, I would suggest 1920 x 1200 res ...in this case a SLi arrangement (2 Cards) will provide better gameplay....take the "advice" of some here stating "problems" with SLi with a large grain of salt,,,,,been running multi Cards (nv) for a number of years now and I personally would feel crippled with only one Card :)

Just about ALL Top Selling Games are 100% SLi enhanced with great scaling....nv had a new GPU Driver available (SLi enhancement) for Skyrim only a few days after launch.

Old December 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjstegall82 View Post

Intel i7 2600K 3.4 GHZ Quad Core
Asus Maximus Extreme IV P67
G.Skill RipJaws X 8GB DDR 3 SDRAM Dual Channel 2x4GB
WD 1TB Caviar Black Sata III HDD
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 (one for now)
Cooler Master HAF X Full Tower Case
Antec HCP-850w Power Supply (future sli ability)
Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler (will this fit)?
Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD any other good brands?
HP 27" LCD Monitor
Windows 7

Thanks again, TJ
So far you are looking good but if I may make a couple suggestions:

I wouldn't go with an Antec PSU... they are notoriously bad. Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone. Any of these 3 use far better components than Antec.
If you want to future proof your PSU go with a min 1000w psu and make sure it's modular. (most are) Keep in mind that vid cards continue to get more power hungry all the time and sli'ing will use up power quickly. If i remember right Corsair PSU's are warrantied for 7 years so this thing will transfer into your NEXT upgrade down the road. Might as well jump on it while its cheap I guess.

I have read that microsuttering can be solved by disabling hyperthreading (easy) but if I had a choice I would definately go with a 580 over a 570. Finding a matching 570 down the road isn't gonna be as easy as you think. Been there done that. Brand would be upto someone else to recommend. EVGA or Asus I would imagine.

SSD: only one you want right now is the Crucial M4. Nuff said.

Windows 7 64 bit. <--- has to be for anything over 3 gigs of ram.

Ram: make sure it's gonna clear your cpu cooling. I've been buying the lower profile vengence stuff to make sure it always works. Buy as much as you possibly can... it's so damn cheap right now. It's easy to add a fan after in most senarios.

If you really want to step into cpu overclocking and cooling you might wanna completely skip the AIR COOLING and go with one of these. High end Computing is supposed to be fun right?! I started out with a kit like this and had a blast. Very inexpensive too. Super easy to work with. Your case can do this internally no problem too. and you'd never have to worry about clearances of the ram. Dazmode can help you with one of these.

For the OS that is on your current rig check to make sure it's 64 bit. If its not you can't use it. If it IS then you can use a program called KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean It will give you the key of your current rig and tell you which flavor it is.

At that point you can download or have someone send you a copy of that disk and you can then re-use the key.

cheers
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 5, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old December 5, 2011, 10:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Other 2 great options for SSD are both Intel and OCZ Vertex (been using them for the past few years with NO issues at all )....go minimum 80GB for OS.

As far as RAM goes the best bang for buck out there presently is a 4 x 4GB (16GB) kit.

Old December 5, 2011, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

This is my very 1st water loop with a similar kit. The new kit is far easier to manage.

OLD LOOP

Your case choice would make this far easier and nicer to install.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:11 PM
Rookie

Ok I have bumped up my ssd drive to a crucial m4 128gb sata III and the power supply to a silverstone st1000-g and I will be using a 64 bit system. As of right now Im going to stick with the air cooling since this is my first build and I will see how this pans out. Now as far as going with a 570 or 580, my plan was to get a 570 now and try it out and see how it performs. I mainly play bf2 and bf3 and are looking for killer fps. I have seen some benchmarks on 1 570 and its gets above 60 which is good or normal I should say. Now the question is, is better to have 2-570s and sli them or 1 580. I will eventually sli in the future but for now which is the best setup. Now how does a having a better resolution help gameplay? I dont want to be crippled in any way and want the greatest advantage. Anymore help would be great. thanks
Old December 5, 2011, 12:12 PM
Rookie

Also Ill look into bumping up my ram as well for future proofing this unit.
Old December 5, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

580 if you wanna kick ass. I'm like you buddy I always get one step down from the top of the pile every time.

I currently run a 6970 2 gig with no lag.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.