Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 9, 2011, 06:55 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

hello again, like what you guys said, change the psu to be more "future proof".
so, i decided to complete my build first and upgrade.
my new psu is an iMaster Pro SLI 500w. umm, is this different from the iMaster Pro 500w?
thanx again 4 d cooperation. :)
Old December 9, 2011, 09:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

500 watts is not future proof at all. For the minor difference in prices,beef the PSU as much as you can. 800 watts plus,should hold you for a while. A good and powerful PSU,is more important than you might think.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old December 9, 2011, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
500 watts is not future proof at all. For the minor difference in prices,beef the PSU as much as you can. 800 watts plus,should hold you for a while. A good and powerful PSU,is more important than you might think.
With all do respect I completely disagree. If you never plan on running a high end graphics card then a quality 500-550w power supply is the ideal choice. Power supplies run less efficient (generally) if you run them at low loads. That and the fact that if you never need that much power you wasted the money that could have been spent elsewhere in your build if budget is limiting. IMO even if running a high end single graphics card I would never buy more than a quality 650w-750w PSU (if there is a chance of going to a high end card then I recommend a 650w).

I never plan on running a high end graphics card and I have a GTX460 running great on my Seasonic 500w PSU nice and quietly (and it should be somewhere in the peak of its efficiency curve), and it should continue to do so for some time. When I upgrade graphics it will likely be to something of about the same power consumption, but more performance because of refinements in architecture and an improved manufacturing process.
Old December 9, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The difference is bond007 that the OP is using a generic / no name PSU and your are using a GOOD psu. When dealing with no namers...more is better..BUT tbh and like others have said: get a GOOD power supply from a reputable mfg'er.

You dont need a 850 monster, a good 500 - 650 watter would be fine. GOOD brands to consider are: Seasonic, Corsair, XFX. Just about any psu from those companies would be a high quality PSU. Antec and Silverstone also make some good kit.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 9, 2011, 12:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

How did OP miss the Corsair CX500 that I mentioned in my earlier post?

For that rig, getting a 500W PSU is sufficient unless you have plans to do a multi GPU setup. Even with a multi GPU setup, you wouldn't even need more than 700W for a HD6870 Crossfire. Obviously all of the PSU that I recommend are of true power and with decent 80+ certification from a trusted brand with clean track record.

If you can't afford for a better PSU, consider changing your motherboard to a cheaper H67 chipset which I also recommended earlier but seems to be ignored till now. You should not skimp on a decent PSU for the sake of a perceived 'higher' end motherboard.
Old December 9, 2011, 05:48 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

like i said, i will upgrade later after it is finished. ill still use the generic psu, the 6870 and no ssd.
i don't really care about boot times. i just want gaming and programming at it's best.
so, tomorrow my bro and i will buy some parts for our build. the other parts are like i said, will be decided by me. so, thnx for helping me out! maybe one day ill post my build on youtube and give you guys credit for helping me. ciao!

Tags
cool pc , decent pc , incompatibility , outdated pentium pc , pc build