Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 05:14 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need Advice in Gaming PC

Hi, I am new here and this is my first post =)

I am going to build a gaming PC in this month. I already have my choice of hardware and I need some advice on the hardware I chose.

Mobo: asus maximus iv gene-z (z68)
CPU: i7 2600k
GPU: asus gtx560 dcII oc
PSU: cooler master GX650W 650Watts
HDD: seagate 1TB 32mb/s
SDD: Intel 80gb (not sure which model yet)
Memory: kingston 4gbx4 16gb 1333mhz valueram
Cooler: cooler master V6GT

I am not sure what to do with my SDD yet whether make it as cache or for boot. My initial plan was making SSD as cache because I thought I wont be able to install many games on a 80gb SSD, but then I've done some review said that SSD as cache is a waste, and make me confused now. So I need some advice on SSD & HDD as well. Thanks.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:22 AM
Lyserberg

First of all the mobo,that one is an mini-ATX board,it's a very bad value actually,so i would pick a GA-Z68XP-UD3P:cheaper board,full ATX size,Ivy bridge and PCIE3.0 on the mennu?if you said no you probably don't have a brain (no offense bro just kidd'in :D)
Seagate drives are known to be unreliable and they do fail on a very big range of end-users,you better go with A SAMSUNG F3 1TB.
Get a 1600MHZ lowest CAS kit from Kingston or Corsair or Patriot they all make good modules
For caching,you have the option on the amount of space to use it as a cache,so u will be left with a bit of space in that SSD,so install your OS in the HDD cache it using your SSD,and leave that very tiny partition non-used as a place for something that require high read/write speeds to work properly
SRT works great Linus figured out that this feature can provide to up to 10X more perfomance versus non-cache.For games it won't make that great impact,i mean let's face it any game will load the level data on RAM before you go in,so the perfomance won't be improved,but in applications,windows boot,games you play so often you'll gain a considerable amount of speed and happiness :D
Sorry for making my reply too long but i love to explain on PPL so they can't get confused :)
EDIT:yeah and the 2700k for just a few bucks might be great,it's the latest CPU that Intel had ever made :)
the PSU seems to be less future proof,if you wanted to go for SLI or such in the future you'll be in a trouble,i suggest going for a 750 fully modular PSU 80PLUS certified
PSU worths all the poney u pay for,if it sucks there's a chance that your entire PC is running using the power of a BOMB that can explode in any moment!

Last edited by Lyserberg; December 2, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old December 2, 2011, 10:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry Lyserberg, you are wrong on a couple of points.

1. The Maximus IV Gene is the best mATX Z68 board out there. Why recommend a ATX size board when you don't know what case he's putting it into?
2. I use a SSD as a boot drive instead of a cache drive. From personal experience, there are lots of games where the level load times are improved having the game on my SSD rather than my hard drive. Ram is not the bottleneck, the drives are. SSD Caching will improve performance over HDD alone certainly, but I don't think it's as useful as putting my OS and the 2-3 games I'm currently playing on the SSD.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the advises above, and SugarJ you are right about that maximus gene iv is one of the best mATX out there

I wanted to buy a ATX casing to fit all my hardware, and the maximus iv gene seems to be very small i wanted to add in a sound card in the future, so I decided to change my mobo to
ASUS p8z68-v pro, this mobo seems to have pretty good review isn't it?

I am not sure about the seagate hdd im getting, isn't that bad? if it is then i would be getting WD hdd here as I can't find any samsung hdd here probably.

Maybe I am going to get kingston hyper X ddr3 1600 4gbx2 8GB, is 8GB enough for gaming?

For the PSU, I have no thought about upgrading to SLI at all but I might consider upgrade my GPU someday to 580 line up series, so isn't that 650W enough for my future upgrade?

based on all the opinions u guys gave me I think I would consider SSD as boot / games and HDD as my storage.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:46 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I have an affinity of getting a WD drive than a Seagate but I don't think there is any major problems with Seagate either. 8GB is definitely sufficient for most tasks that you could ever throw at it, even more so when Windows 8 will be much leaner compared to Windows 7. If a few years from now you find that 8GB is too small, you could always add more and they would definitely be cheaper than what they are now.

For a GTX580, a 650W is required and a 850W for a GTX580 SLI. If you are not too keen on a multi GPU setup, just stick with your current choice of GPU till the GTX600 series come out next year. I would recommend getting the Noctua NH-D14 instead of the Cooler Master.
Old December 2, 2011, 12:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That Asus board is one of the ones most recommended on this forum. I haven't used that model personally, but I hear very good things about it.

Seagate had a bad reputation for a while as they had a bunch of 7200.10 (or was it 7200.11?) drives die. I haven't heard of any issues with the latest 7200.12 drives. I normally use WD drives myself, but they are few and far between right now because of the flooding at their plants in Thailand.

8GB is plenty for gaming. I have 6GB in my main rig and never run out of memory.

A 650w PSU should be fine for any single GPU. Coolermaster PSU's don't always have the best reputation around here, you may want to look at a Corsair or Seasonic model if they are available in your area.
Old December 2, 2011, 01:29 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the advises again.

yeah due to the flood in Thailand, most of the HDD prices soared and it is a bad time of getting HDD now =( but still have to get it though. I owned toshiba and WD drives but never own a seagate one, wanted to try it out but after heard quite many issues from you guys then I would probably getting a WD drive.

cooler master have quite good reputation in my area, probably but not so sure have not done any research on the PSU yet. I found a corsair hx650 is that good? it is USD$66 much more expensive than the cooler master gx650 and hopefully I can get one of those.

Thanks for the CPU cooler recommendation, I thought of changing cooler master to something else but I don't know what should I go for until you gave me a hint, Noctua. I find Noctua has a good reputation and review and Linus seems to recommends that in most of his videos, will think about it but have to think about my budget first before getting one of those, hopefully i can pull a little bit extra there =D

btw, what you guys think about GTX560 when compared to GTX560 Ti? I'm sure with Ti is faster but I am not sure what is extra with Ti.

And so, I need some advises on building up the SSD and HDD, so I will tell my plan and please advice me.
My plan is simple, SSD as boot, store abt windows, games and applications. HDD as fully storage, no installation within. Is it comfortable? as I am getting a 80GB SSD only and it seems to has a very small capacity for this era, applications and games are occupying larger space capacity.

Thanks
Old December 2, 2011, 01:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

get ripjaws x 1600mhz instead, you dont want to spend alot on everything else and cheap out on ram do you
Old December 2, 2011, 01:38 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed103194 View Post
get ripjaws x 1600mhz instead, you dont want to spend alot on everything else and cheap out on ram do you
yeah I thought of getting kingston hyper X, is that enough?
Old December 2, 2011, 01:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

My list of PSUs to choose from would be FSP, Seasonic, Silverstone, Corsair, XFX and PC P&C. CM is not in my list due to its bad reputation and although there are certain higher end models which are good, I'd prefer to stay away from them altogether just to be safe. Do not skimp too much on a cheap PSU, a decent unit from the brands that I have listed could probably last for at least 2 builds if you're lucky.

I find Noctua's are worth the money and although from certain reviews Thermalright Silver Arrow performs better than the NH-D14's, I would still pick the Noctua based on the build quality alone. The GTX560 Ti is obviously better in terms of performance and one tier above the GTX560 but it is up to your needs and budget to decide.

80GB for a SSD is plenty. Google on some tutorials on how to reduce the size of the Windows installation, you could save a few GBs at least. Store a few games and uninstall old ones that you do not play frequently.