Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2011, 12:15 AM
Rookie

Default What kind of PSU + HDD + SDD should I get?

Hey everyone, new here, love the videos btw.

So I'm pretty much a beginner at building myself a computer for the first time.

Saw too many Linus videos and computer parts to finally want to build my own instead of buying a pre-made one at BestBuy / Future Shop / etc.

ANYWAYS...

This is the build I am currently looking at but have no idea what kind of PSU I would need.

Case: Antec 900
Mobo: P8Z68 V-Pro
CPU: i5 2500k
GPU: gtx 560 ti twin frozr ii [x2]
PSU: Stuck here, have no idea (Also, what is the difference between 80+ bronze/silver/gold? - Everything I have googled have different results [i.e. less power consumption for 80+gold but at the same time it's more efficient etc...])
HDD: Something that is 2tb but no idea
SDD: Something that is 64GB but no idea (just want it for the "SRT-caching")
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 2x4GB (I honestly have no idea about this, is this a good choice for the mobo?)

tl;dr What is a good PSU + HDD + SDD for this build? (P8Z68 V-Pro + i5 2500k + 2x gtx 560 ti)

Many thanks in advance! :)
Old December 2, 2011, 02:09 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

personaly i think using an ssd for srt-caching is a waste of money, if you are going to buy an ssd i would use it for your OS, i would go with the Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SSD as for your hard drive if you want speed i wold go with te WD caviar black.
the 80+ certification basically means how efficient the PSU with 8+ gold measn its 90% or higher efficiency, for your ram you going to want soethingwith alow c-latency maybe 9-9-9-24 or lower for your psu mayb the Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W TPQ-1000 would be a good choice

we also need to know what you will be using your pc for i.e. gaming, video editi etc
Old December 2, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOoSMOKEoOo View Post
personaly i think using an ssd for srt-caching is a waste of money, if you are going to buy an ssd i would use it for your OS, i would go with the Corsair Force Series GT 60GB SSD as for your hard drive if you want speed i wold go with te WD caviar black.
the 80+ certification basically means how efficient the PSU with 8+ gold measn its 90% or higher efficiency, for your ram you going to want soethingwith alow c-latency maybe 9-9-9-24 or lower for your psu mayb the Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W TPQ-1000 would be a good choice

we also need to know what you will be using your pc for i.e. gaming, video editi etc
Thanks oOoSMOKEoOo! The computer will be primarily used for gaming on a 50" Plasma.
Yep, the G.Skill Ripjaw X series matches the 9-9-9-24 you stated but it's listed as "9-9-9-24-2N".

For the Corsair Force GT 60GB SSD I will look more into that as I am not a huge fan of Corsair as their products have failed on me before... I was looking more into Kingston and Intel, maybe the Kingston SV200S3D7, or maybe Mushkin's MKNSSDCR60GB-DX. I'm really not sure, but if Intel had a more affordable SATA III I would probably go with them.

For the WD Caviar Black, is this probably the best bang for the buck? I've read that the Samsung HD204UI is really good too.

For the Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W, would this be an overkill? The GTX 560 Ti says even when they OC, their max is less than 400W consumption. I was really leaning towards a 750W or 850W 80+ Gold.

Thanks again oOoSMOKEoOO, please reply with your feedback!

As for anyone else, please feel free to contribute! :)
Old December 2, 2011, 12:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The different PSUs with bronze, silver and gold is merely a rating of their efficiency at power conversion. Depending on what you are using your PC for, getting a 80+ silver should be good enough as the objective at the end of the day is to save power thus saving money. You would have to justify whether the savings in power with a gold would have a better ROI in the long run compared to a cheaper silver. For a GTX560 Ti SLI, 700W is more than enough provided that it is true power. Getting a PSU that is any higher will have some penalty to your idle power consumption.

I wouldn't recommend getting a large HDD for now as the prices are ridiculous. Get what you need for now and you could always get more next year when the price drops to its original state. SRT is definitely nice but a separate SSD as a OS drive and HDD as storage is much better. I'd choose between an Intel or Crucial but Corsair is pretty decent when the Sandforce bugs are ironed out.
Old December 2, 2011, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
The different PSUs with bronze, silver and gold is merely a rating of their efficiency at power conversion. Depending on what you are using your PC for, getting a 80+ silver should be good enough as the objective at the end of the day is to save power thus saving money. You would have to justify whether the savings in power with a gold would have a better ROI in the long run compared to a cheaper silver. For a GTX560 Ti SLI, 700W is more than enough provided that it is true power. Getting a PSU that is any higher will have some penalty to your idle power consumption.

I wouldn't recommend getting a large HDD for now as the prices are ridiculous. Get what you need for now and you could always get more next year when the price drops to its original state. SRT is definitely nice but a separate SSD as a OS drive and HDD as storage is much better. I'd choose between an Intel or Crucial but Corsair is pretty decent when the Sandforce bugs are ironed out.
Thanks! Yep, that is what I meant, having the SSD as the OS and HDD as storage
(as said here: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS P8Z68-V PRO )

I am also leaning towards a WD Green instead as they are $100 only for 2tb.

I will definitely keep my eye out on a 700W 80+Silver/Gold, do you have any solid recommendations?

Thanks again!
Old December 2, 2011, 06:15 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

the Antec High Current Pro 750W Power Supply HCP-750 should be a good psu for you and its 80+ gold and its modular aswell and wil cost about $200 CAD i wouldntgo with a green drive they are very slow
Old December 2, 2011, 06:27 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOoSMOKEoOo View Post
the Antec High Current Pro 750W Power Supply HCP-750 should be a good psu for you and its 80+ gold and its modular aswell and wil cost about $200 CAD i wouldntgo with a green drive they are very slow
Is there a major difference if I will be using the WD Green/Black as my backup storage anyways?
Old December 2, 2011, 08:36 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

you wouldn't want to run any programs off the green. If you do, you will suffer from horrid load times. The green is rated 5400rpm and parks itself after a few seconds of idleness (though the parking can be disabled iirc).

If you went with the green, generally speaking it would be used just as docs/media storage, but not for any actual programs that needed running.

Huge difference in speeds in the black and the green.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wouldn't recommend getting the WD Green for anything else other than storage. Even so I'd choose WD Blue over the Green, the power savings in the long run is minute and performance takes a huge hit. If you could find any Samsung F4EG 2TB drives, get one because I am using one and it performs well.
Old December 2, 2011, 09:47 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys, I will aim for the WD Black when the prices get lowered... Hopefully soon! :)

I am also aiming to get that Antec High Pro 80+ Gold now too, thanks!

Just wondering about the last part, the SDD,

I'll be keeping my eyes on:
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
and
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR60GB 2.5" 60GB SATA III Asynchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
and Mushkin Enhanced Chronos Deluxe MKNSSDCR60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB SATA III Synchronous MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
or
Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

If anyone has even better suggestions, shoot away!

Thanks guys, really appreciate your help