Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2011, 03:30 AM
Rookie

Question please help me with my choice linus!

Hey Linus. I am thinking of building a new PC this December. it's not a gaming rig but I need it to perform well in gaming and video editing. I live in and Asian country so ordering via internet is not worthy since we get a lot of shipping charges. so I would like a help with my system like identify any problems with the hardware that I have selected. ( like a bottle-necking )

So here is the system spec ( I thought using Intel products since all of my friends recommended me Intel ) :

Processor : Intel Core i5 2500 3.3Ghz ( I don't want to OC so 'k' series is out of it )
Mother Board : Intel® Desktop Board DH67CL
Ram : G-Skill Ripjaws - X 4GB 1600 Mhz ( 2GB x 2 )
Graphics Card : EVGA GTX 560 ti Superclocked edition 1GB GDDR 5
HDD : Hitachi Deskstar 500GB Sata II / SATA III ( help me choose the best, SATA II or SATA III )
Optical Drive : Samsung DVD RW ( SATA )
Case : Silverstone PS05
PSU : Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W
Display : Samsung 20" LED Display

My questions :

1. Am I good with this system or should I buy an AMD based system? I was thinking of an AMD Phenom II x4 975 Black edition. if AMD is better please recommend me a mother board.

2. Is the motherboard that I've selected is compatible with all the other hardware like RAM & the Graphics card? if it's not compatible please recommend me a good Intel board.

3. I did some research over the internet and found out an Intel board called DP67BG. An extreme edition board. I am not into extreme gaming so is it worth spending money on buying this mother board?

4. My Graphics card selection is an EVGA GTX 560 ti sc, and will it handle all new games in high settings on the display that I'm going to buy?

5. I selected a 550W power supply for this hardware combination and will it be enough to handle the stress?

6. final question of mine is that whether this pc will be future proof like for 4 - 5 years.

Please help me out with my selection 'cus I don't want to screw up my first build.

P.S : please give me your valuable advice on anything that is important on this build..

THANK YOU.
Old November 30, 2011, 05:07 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am no Linus, But I can tell you right off the bat. The Cooler master power supply is left to be desired. Chances are when somehow a power surge happens that power supply will be damaged and take a couple of hardware with it. I suggest that go for quality powersupply brands such as Corsair, Silverstone, XFX and Seasonic. I say 550watts is enough for your build but if your still in doubt and have a few bucks left why not spend it on a 650watts. Also check out other H67 motherboards from different manufacturer (might be able to save a couple of rupee) out there that is compatible with you build. Like ones from Gigabyte, Asus and Msi.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:27 AM
Rookie

it's ok that you r not linus since i get a good advice!

I'll go with a silverstone powersupply then! cus I think it's better than coolermaster. my budget is pretty tight so I only can go upto 550W. :( I really hope that, the wattage is enough!

thank you for the help! :)
Old November 30, 2011, 12:10 PM
Top Prospect

I agree about getting a power supply from a different brand. It isn't that the load will surpass 550 watts, but that the brand isn't great. I do have a psu from the same line, and I wouldn't trust it with that sort of load. A 2500 consumes ~105 watts, and a 560 ti consume ~300, another ~90 for other things, and you are still within acceptable consumption. The CPU should be capable for a few years, but you may want to bump up the gpu in a few years. Sata 2 vs 3 doesn't really matter all that much with traditional hard drives, and even many SSDs, as they can't max out the bandwidth of sata 2, let alone 3.