Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

View Poll Results: Should I upgrade my parts or sell my system and start a new build from scratch?
NEW BUILD 2 16.67%
UPGRADE 10 83.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2011, 01:59 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFish View Post
Just wondering, what method did you use for your hackintosh build? I found that to get mine to work I HAD to use the "batmobile" cooler Gigabyte 5770. So when whatever you do upgrade to it'll have to be the ones that lots of people have reported success with.
Thats the thing, I'm going to play around with NVidia cards because only a few are supported and with a lot of trial and error. So I'm up for the challenge.

Is $1500 a reasonable price for this setup minus the three HDDs?

Last edited by Arinoth; November 30, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDOGS View Post
I understand but I'm just not sure if NVidia will actually provide me with a better solution for editing and encoding because that comes before my gaming needs. I'm willing to part with my rig if the benefit I'll be getting will be much better.

Understood. I can't answer your question on if Nvidia options will help you with what you are hoping it will (no experience with it). If you go the Nvidia route you will be in for large costs, since you will need to change MOB/PSU/and buy the GPUs. As far as I know Nvidia cards only support 2 monitors, so you would have to SLI if you want to run 3 monitors. Even if it did help you out as you want I have a hard time believing that it would be worth the investment required. That said I would be more than happy to eat my words if there is a substantial improvement in application performance with Nvidia cards in those programs...but I can't see it. Another option to consider (if you want to save some $) would be to downgrade to a 2 monitor setup and go single 570/580 (if it will help you out) and you can survive with only 2 monitors. You will loose a substantial amount of your money if you sell your computer as a whole. Parting it out usually gets you more $, but its more of a hassle. Either way you will be taking a large loss on a system that I would not sell at this point (nothing worth upgrading to except for your GPU and adding some ram).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDOGS View Post
Is $1500 a reasonable price for this setup minus the three HDDs?
I would guess selling it all together would get you around $800 (unless you didn't list some parts in your first post I can't see you getting anywhere near $1500)...but I'll let someone else with more experience in selling used rigs chime in on this one (maybe post the setup in the price check section to get more help on it).

Last edited by Arinoth; November 30, 2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old November 29, 2011, 03:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

with my experience with photoshop that is used regularly to do about 4gb of photos at a time the nvidia GPU i had before my ATI i have now there was really no benefit i lost or gained from the two. so itd be a waste to get two new 570's that may not even work with osx. i would just go with one or two 69xx series along with an ssd and 4 more gigs of ram and call it a day unless you absolutely want/need a new case.
Old November 29, 2011, 05:18 PM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Guys, I think I have a problem. I think my want to do a new build is greater then my need, but I can't afford to do several builds and have nobody I could build for. It's just minor stuff I want to do, but I want to feel busy too.
Old November 29, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO, add ram, add SSD, Upgrade GPU (6970 for your 3 monitors) and when IvyBridge comes out then think about the rest.
Really not worth bumping a perfectly good mobo, case & psu just to scratch an itch. (Unless your loaded and couldn't care less about the budget)

What kind of editing is it you do? Image, video, sound?
If you do video / sound I would say grab a decent sound card and good quality speakers (if you don't already) as they will last you ages and help you with better audio re-production.
Also they will give you the more tangible feeling of having new stuff (speakers on your desk) to scratch that upgrade itch.
Old November 30, 2011, 09:27 AM
Restricted Poster

My System Specs

Thanks for the words of wisdom everybody, I decided I will just sell my PSU, mobo and GPU. I'll keep the rest as it's all still good.