Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Rookie

Question Digital Media School Laptop Recommendations

i starting to go into college for a a degree in digital media with options in adobe master. my curent acer aspire 5336 display wont work with adobe cs5.5 master colection (requirements below.) i would love the Alienware M17x 3D, but i doubt i could save up enough in 2 years. i want to find a good all around laptop for school. preferably something 1080p, long battery life. and powered by nvidia. if linus or anyone has some ideas id be greatly interested. ty in advance

Windows System requirements:

Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (Intel Core™ i3, i5, or i7 or or AMD Phenom® II recommended); Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom II required for Adobe® Premiere® Pro; processor with 64-bit support required for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects®
Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 2; or Windows 7; 64-bit edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 required for Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and the Subscription Edition of Master Collection
2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
24.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash storage devices)
1280x900 display (1280x1024 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM
Adobe-certified GPU card for GPU-accelerated performance in Adobe Premiere Pro; visit Tech specs | Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 for the latest list of supported cards
Some GPU-accelerated features in Adobe Photoshop® require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
Some features in Adobe Bridge rely on a DirectX 9–capable graphics card with at least 64MB of VRAM
7200 RPM hard drive for editing compressed video formats; RAID 0 for uncompressed
Adobe-certified card for capture and export to tape for SD/HD workflows
OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture, export to tape, and transmit to DV device
Sound card compatible with ASIO protocol or Microsoft Windows Driver Model
DVD-ROM drive compatible with dual-layer DVDs (DVD+-R burner for burning DVDs; Blu-ray burner for creating Blu-ray Disc media)
Java™ Runtime Environment 1.6 (included)
Eclipse™ 3.6.1 required for plug-in installation
QuickTime 9 software required for QuickTime and multimedia features
Adobe Flash® Player 10 software required to export SWF files and to play back DVD projects exported as SWF files
Broadband Internet connection required for online services and to validate Subscription Edition (if applicable) on an ongoing basis*
Old November 24, 2011, 04:28 AM
Rookie

hmm guess my post was moved from the Linus section. not sure why, but any advice is still appreciated.
Old November 24, 2011, 04:39 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have this laptop...look at it's specs:
Canada Computers | Notebooks, Netbooks & Tablets | ASUS N53SV-A2, Notebook (Silver Aluminum) - Intel Core i7-2630QM (2.0GHz), 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) LED-backlit, 6GB RAM, 750GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M 1GB, Blu-ray Combo Drive, Wireless 802.11bgn,

This one is not available, but it is ideal for what you want to do. If you can drop the resolution down a little bit, you can get a similar laptop from Asus for $100-150 cheaper.

The i7 is great for rendering, and the nvidia chip kicks in when Cuda apps are launched. An i5 laptop could save you a bit more, but you will lose a few cores/threads.

I usually don't push for i7 laptops, but for video rendering for school and projects, I suggest it. Just make sure the i7 has a 4 digit model number after it (ie. 2630QM), as its the newer chips with AVX extensions that are handy for encoding.

I would say you are looking at $1000 and tax for a laptop with my suggestions, so if thats too expensive you will have to include your budget.
Fold for team #54196
Old November 24, 2011, 04:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll probably get kicked for this, but I would say a 13 inch macbook pro would be best for digital media.
Old November 24, 2011, 04:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirlAlice View Post
hmm guess my post was moved from the Linus section. not sure why, but any advice is still appreciated.
As per the sticky outlined in the Linus Q&A, threads are supposed to be posted in their correction sections and typically only Linus is suppose to create threads in his section.
Old November 24, 2011, 05:03 AM
Rookie

Anything made by Asus and it will last u for a long time (using a g73-JW ATM) so im also supporting the ASUS N53SV-A2

Oh and take it from someone who owned/owns 3 macs (21", 27" and a macpro 17") if your ever planning to play games, or never worked with a mac before, or just want performance for a price go with the Asus

you need to pay to use a mac eee i mean play
Old November 24, 2011, 05:08 AM
Rookie

i need a minum of a (1280x1024 recommended) screen resolution. so a native 1080p would probably work best. i love the alienware but living on full disability while going to school limit my options.