Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 22, 2011, 05:13 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Cheap dedicated F@H machine.

Ok so Christmas is coming up in about a month and I may have a little extra cash. I've always wanted to make a dedicated F@H machine since well I don't get many points on my gaming rig because A) I usually have game(s) running 24/7 in afk mode or have a shop set up so folding is slow if I run F@H too and B) I run an ati card which from what I hear aren't as good as nVidia when it comes to folding.

So what I want to do is make a dedicated F@H machine which I can leave on 24/7 to just do folding pref on the GPU. I already have some parts that I can recycle which will save me cash just need suggestions for the stuff I don't have.

Here's what I already have(aka leftovers from my upgrades/people giving me stuff):

200GB 2.5" Toshiba Hard drive
4GB DDR3 G.Skill memory(4GB might be much but I have it)
400W OCZ PSU
Cooler Master V8 (overkill but I'll use it if I need to)
multiple fans mostly 120mm
keyboards/mice and I can use my current monitors

What I still need and what I'm looking at:

mobo: Buy the Biostar N68S3B GeForce Socket AM3 Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca
cpu: Buy the AMD Sempron 145 Processor at TigerDirect.ca
gpu: need some suggestions on this don't need a super expensive one just one that will match the cpu well for F@H hopefully nothing too expensive and also has to be pretty silent under load
OS: If I can get the vista on my scavenged hard drive to work I'll use that otherwise linux? Anyone have a good guide to linux/live CD DL link?

I will also need a case nothing fancy I'm planning on doing a custom F@H paint job on it anyways using spray paint or I may just mount it on my wall and have it all open just for fun let me know what you think.

I'm always open to suggestions ofc I don't want to pay an arm and a leg to make this folding machine but I also don't want to make something that just doesn't make sense to bother running F@H so if you can suggest a different setup let me know also.

Thanks,
SA
Old November 22, 2011, 06:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am also looking at a gpu folder and the processor you picked is a good choice. For a mobo I would pick one that has at least 2 PCIE slots so you can run 2 cards. You will be limited by your psu to the type of cards so low power will be important, something like the 550Ti would work.

NCIX.com - Buy MSI 870-G45 ATX AM3 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio CrossFireX Motherboard - MSI/MicroStar - 870-G45 - in Canada

With any luck you could unlock the Sempron to a dual core

If you want lots-o-slots:

NCIX.com - Buy MSI 990FXA-GD80 ATX AM3+ 990FX DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SLI CrossFire SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - MSI/MicroStar - 990FXA-GD80 - in Canada
Old November 22, 2011, 12:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I am also looking at a gpu folder and the processor you picked is a good choice. For a mobo I would pick one that has at least 2 PCIE slots so you can run 2 cards. You will be limited by your psu to the type of cards so low power will be important, something like the 550Ti would work.

NCIX.com - Buy MSI 870-G45 ATX AM3 870 DDR3 2PCI-E16 PCI-E1 3PCI SATA2 GBLAN Audio CrossFireX Motherboard - MSI/MicroStar - 870-G45 - in Canada

With any luck you could unlock the Sempron to a dual core

If you want lots-o-slots:

NCIX.com - Buy MSI 990FXA-GD80 ATX AM3+ 990FX DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 1PCI SLI CrossFire SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - MSI/MicroStar - 990FXA-GD80 - in Canada

That first board is very tempting I was looking at it earlier and it's only about $26 more. However, that second board is way out of the price range I'm looking at. I don't want to be spending any more than $300 on this setup. Got any suggestions for a GPU? Just looking for a single one.

I was also tempted to use my old 770-G45 board but it blew a mosfet(still ran) but I don't think it would be reliable as a 24/7 rig for F@H http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5264/1000969yp.jpg

I don't think it would be that easy to fix either unless I could find the mosfet and some mad soldering skills
Old November 22, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As far as gpu folding goes nvidia pretty much dominates. If you can find used GTS450 or GTX460 they are good little folders for the money and do not consume much power. Yes the second mobo is overkill, if you could find a used MSI 790FX-GD70 for a good price you would have a nice 4 slot choice there. Of course once you start adding cards then your psu needs to be replaced and so on........