Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2011, 10:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default P55 Upgrade build: AMD FX-6100 & 990FXA-UD3

I am upgrading my i3-540/P55GD-80 to an FX-6100 hexacore/990FXA-UD3. This will be my gaming and internet browsing machine. Why bother with bulldozer you ask? :

1. Curious to see for myself what the performance was like compared to what I had.
2. Wanted to learn to overclock an AMD chip
3. Was bored and wanted something new

I purchase both the FX-6100 chip and Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 at NCIX for $352.
All other parts I was already using.

XFX 850W psu (existing)
MSI GTX 480 (existing)
2x80GB intel ssd's (existing)
2x4GB Mushkin blackline ram (existing)

My only gripe with this board so far is that it uses plastic pushpins on the vrm heatsink and northbridge heatsink. The vrm heatsink is very loose, and can be wiggled/lifted off with very minimal effort. I will probably try and remove these and put in some screws at some point.

also, a power/reset button would have been nice, but since this is a UD3 I guess you get what you pay for

System Assembled on tech station:

So the system is assembled and the ssd's are configured in raid on the AMD sata controller. Had to install raid driver before windows could see the drive. Windows installed fine, system is setup and working great - no issues at all.

I will be transferring my H212 cooler over to the board tomorrow. My plan is to upload some basic benchmarks. I want to compare this system with my i3-540 to get an idea of the performance of this bulldozer chip.

I'm going to run cinebench 11.5, pcmarkvantage, and maybe play with BF3 a bit. I merely want to get some numbers for comparison sake to see if I am ahead in performance after this "upgrade".

**Please note these results should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not an expert at benching. I will leave that up to the wicked reviewers here at HWC.

Ill have the numbers up sometime tomorrow evening.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:39 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

BF3 shouldn't be any different but you should notice benchmarking single threaded applications your scores will be worse.
Old November 18, 2011, 05:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting... you'll definitely get a boost in multithreaded apps with integer loads (which BD was made to do), but you're surely taking a penalty for single threaded applications, given that Bulldozer's single-threaded performance is about where the Core2 (1 generation behind your P55) sits.

Clock that Bulldozer chip to the limit of stability if you expect it to stand a chance in gaming against your older CPU
You won't get very far with the overclocking without a better CPU cooler - I'd go to the tier of the Corsair A70 or higher at least, with Bulldozer chips consuming more power than anything else on the market when overclocked.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:57 AM
Rookie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
P55 upgrade
gaming
Bulldozer
You lost a bet, didn't you.

Good for you for your public display of technomasochism, but for the $350 you flushed away on BD, you could and should have gotten an i5-2500k/Z68 combo.

But as long as you learn something, I guess.
Old November 18, 2011, 07:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
Interesting... you'll definitely get a boost in multithreaded apps with integer loads (which BD was made to do), but you're surely taking a penalty for single threaded applications, given that Bulldozer's single-threaded performance is about where the Core2 (1 generation behind your P55) sits.

Clock that Bulldozer chip to the limit of stability if you expect it to stand a chance in gaming against your older CPU
You won't get very far with the overclocking without a better CPU cooler - I'd go to the tier of the Corsair A70 or higher at least, with Bulldozer chips consuming more power than anything else on the market when overclocked.
Yup, I will be puttin on me H212+ this evening and some good TIM. I hope to get 4.0GHz, we'll see what happens. I was curious to compare the performance of a BD core to a P55 core. You are right that the single threaded performance will be quite poor on BD and I'm sure it will show in the benches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineFalcon View Post
You lost a bet, didn't you.

Good for you for your public display of technomasochism, but for the $350 you flushed away on BD, you could and should have gotten an i5-2500k/Z68 combo.

But as long as you learn something, I guess.
Quite right. I actually had an opportunity to pick up a used 2600k/z68 combo here from someone, and would have only been maybe another $50-75 more than what I paid for the BD setup. But, I chose this.
Old November 18, 2011, 08:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

nice set up Dandi, after christmas, well boxing day hopefully, I would like to pick up a test bench like you, so I can easily change around my hardware, as I have a problem with not sticking to anything for too long:(

Whats happening with the benches. And once I get my AMD stuff back maybe in two to 3 weeks, we can compare?

However, just got some good news, I may get my hands on a Q9450 set up maybe in a weeks time or so. Perhaps we can compare performances?
Old November 18, 2011, 08:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Have any pics with bench marks performance yet. Like to compare to my P55 set I have..
Old November 18, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got some numbers. Nothing that we already knew...

PCMARK VANTAGE RESULTS: gaming benchmark is very surprising. Didn't think there would be that much of a difference

Cinebench 11.5:

Chip-----------
i3-540 -------- FX-6100 ------------ i7-960(stock)

single core ----1.01 pts-------- 0.75 pts ------------ 1.10 pts

cpu
-------------2.18 pts--------- 2.81 pts----------- 5.48 pts

Old November 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

dandi, what are the temps like?
Old November 18, 2011, 09:51 PM
MVP

Hehe I thought it was a troll post just from the title. But the first paragraph explains it, I get it. You're really going backwards though, if my assumption is correct from looking at your comparison #'s, i7 -> i3 -> FD
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite