Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2011, 11:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default My New system

Here is the new system I'm working on building.

Case, PSU, Ram already ordered. Motherboard and CPU get ordered next week

I already have the HDDs but not the SSD that'll have to wait.

Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-1
Power Supply: OCZ ZX 850 Watt Modular
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-v Pro
Processor: Intel core i7 2600k Sandy Bridge
Cooler: Corsair H100 Full 240mm Radiator Liquid Cooling
Ram: 16gb Corsair Vengeance Black 12800 9-9-9-25
SSD: OCZ Vertex3 120gb
Hard Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB (Raid 0)
Hard Drives: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB (Raid 1)

Video cards have to wait but will be 2x SLI probably GTX 580s. For now I'll just use the Z68 chipset with the sandy bridge integrated graphics.
Old November 17, 2011, 11:53 AM
MVP

Just be aware of 2 things, with respect to your storage drives:
1) the chipset itself only supports 2 @ 6GB/s and 4 @ 3GB/s. If your Seagates are SATA2, you probably don't care. It's the same for all Z68 motherboards.
2) if your Seagates are SATA3 and you want to utilize that, some of them will have to be set up on the Marvel controller, which is apparently much slower....for storage drives, that probably doesn't matter.

Back to the first point, there are only 2 6GB/s ports and I would imagine you want your SSD on 1 of them.

I think I remember reading (and I totally stand to be corrected on this) that there's some wierdness setting up an SSD and a RAID setup on the same controller, for this chipset. Like, it may not be possible on the Intel portion.

Also, there are frequently issues setting up 4 sticks of RAM on 67/68 even at stock cpu speeds but usually it just takes raising the subsystem voltage (vtt/vccio) to get it stabilized. This applies X eleventy billion if you plan to overclock. If so, you might want to think about whether you need 16GB of RAM, or can live with 8GB/2 matched sticks.

Don't expect much satisfactory gaming on the integrated graphics, but you probably know that.

Otherwise, it'll be a lightning quick and eat up anything you can throw at it. Didn't look at the case, so no comment on that.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Thanks for the info!

I didn't know that about the Sata Raid / SSD thing nor the Ram issues.

Good part is I already own the hard drives so if need be i'll just run them separately and setup a backup process.

The Ram is disappointing but I guess I'll just have to play around with it and see what can be done and if need be drop back to 8. I'm not sure how long ill be using this board/chip so i'll keep the ram since i got it for a good price anyways.

I do plan to overclock which is the main reason i opted for the H100

The onboard graphics i'm not overly excited about but I don't want to settle for video cards due to impatience so those will be an upgrade early in the new year when I can invest a bit more into them.

Thanks a lot again for the advice! it's been so long since I built last, My last build was a AMD64 3500+ on a DFI Lanparty NF6 board haha

EDIT:
What would you think of a single ASUS Radeon HD 6970 DirectCU II 890MHZ 2GB 5.5GHZ GDDR5 2XDVI 4XDISPLAYPORT HDMI PCI-E Video Card?

Last edited by Birk; November 17, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old November 26, 2011, 01:20 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've had a pretty good day!

Case, Motherboard, Ram, PSU, DVD Drive

All arrived today. sad part is its now 2 weeks until i can order my CPU, H100 and OS! gunna be a long two weeks.

Also, on top of that my wife just told me we are now expecting our first child :) so i'm thrilled!