Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   New Builds (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/)
-   -   Ultimate Internet PC (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/new-builds/48444-ultimate-internet-pc.html)

Deano85 November 16, 2011 10:26 PM

Ultimate Internet PC

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-4 weeks

Budget Range: $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing the internet,

podcasts, watching movies, listening to music

Parts Not Required: Os, keyboard, mouse, speakers, hard drive, optical drive.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca, ncix.ca, ebay.ca

Parts Preferences: 24" monitor and windows xp

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no, idk what those are

Monitor Resolution: idk suggestions

Additional Comments: I want to use xp any problems? Also would like the computer to be overbuilt for dependability and longevity.

Thanks or your help.

Deano85 November 17, 2011 11:56 AM

I'm thinking for CPU's

Newegg.ca - Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32105

or

Newegg.ca - AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D AD3850WNGXBOX

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

blaze_125 November 17, 2011 12:01 PM

For internet browsing only? Go into our bst and find anyone selling a 775 setup.
Any dual core would do, really, a quad core maybe but no real advantage for your intended use. And you'd be well below your 500$ budget.

Quote:

Additional Comments: I want to use xp any problems? Also would like the computer to be overbuilt for dependability and longevity.
Overbuilding a computer doesn't provide longevity or dependability. That's all in the user's hand.

My computer runs like a champ, and it's been running like a champ forever. If I was to let my mother-in-law use it, it'd become slow and sluggish within a week. The longevity and dependability element is approx 20" from the screen.

You should look into replacing that Win XP with Win7. And don't look back for many years to come.
Win XP was a great platform and it's been proven and all... but really... Get Windows 7 for your new rig.

So... in your shoes I'd be looking for a dual core 775 setup with 4gb ram or more and go Win7 64bit.
If that computer stays a Web browsing computer, it'll serve you right for many years and it will likely cost you less than 250$. For the very slim price difference though, you may want to look into a quad core instead of a dual core.

hal314 November 17, 2011 12:09 PM

I'm not sure why you want to build a computer.

Building is somewhat complicated, but can reduce the cost of you computer by a bit, not a ton tough. If you aren't concerned with performance (ie: you are only surfing the web and maybe doing word processing), then I don't think there is much benefit to building unless you are really concerned about getting exactly the best parts.

Until you said that you wanted to get the best reliability I would have said get a laptop. I have had mine for 5 years and still works great. But laptop reliability does tend to be a little less than desktop.

That said ... you can get NCIX to build your computer once you have the parts selected, not sure about getting XP for it though.

Getting reliable will mostly be done by brand:

CPU: Intel or AMD should be fine
Mobo: Asus, MSI or Gigabyte usually are good
PSU: Corsair or (someother brand I can't recall) look for 80+
Case: whatever
DVD drive: whatever
Graphics card: don't bother, unless you are playing the latest games or editing videos
RAM: G.Skill, Mushkin, Corsair
Hard drive: Western Digital, maybe Seagate

And read reviews, both NCIX and Newegg have a good collection of reviews for components

blaze_125 November 17, 2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal314 (Post 569705)
Building is somewhat complicated, but can reduce the cost of you computer by a bit, not a ton tough.

That's a load of bs.
Building a computer is easier and less demanding than building a patio for example.
Anyone that can turn a screw driver can "build" a computer.
All it is, is take some parts, put them together and plug a few wires where the manual tells you to plug the wires. Where's the complicated part in that?

Putting an Ikea desk together is more challenging than putting a computer together.

CyHawk November 17, 2011 12:24 PM

CPU
Newegg.ca - Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I32105

Mobo
Newegg.ca - ASUS P8H61-M (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Ram
Newegg.ca - ADATA 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AD3U1333B2G9-DRH

PSU
Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

I used this set up in my Dad's build. Worked great.

Deano85 November 17, 2011 08:40 PM

This is what im thinking.

CPU

MOBO
Newegg.ca - ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL

PSU
Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CASE
Newegg.ca - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

JD November 17, 2011 09:06 PM

Unless power savings is an absolute must, I would just go with the i3 2100. It should be a bit cheaper, and will perform identically.

I would also rather an ASUS motherboard, but that's just me. If you want reliability, I think ASUS will last longer than ASRock.

Also I'd suggest this case/PSU combo instead: Newegg.ca - Antec NSK 4482B Black ATX Mid Tower 380W. Same EarthWatts 380W PSU, but I'd say the case is better constructed than anything from Rosewill.

And I'd go with 8GB of RAM, because it's just so cheap now there's no reason not to: NCIX.com - Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333

As for OS, I'd definitely suggest Windows 7 as well. It will run much better, and continue to run smoothly for much longer than XP does IMO. If it's truly just for web usage, you may consider giving Ubuntu a shot instead. I simply cannot recommend nor advise installing XP on brand-new hardware. It's just silly. XP is 10 years old now and it had it's time and place. It simply lacks the underlying kernel-support to properly utilize modern hardware.

JJThomp November 17, 2011 09:12 PM

I don't know how to do this with HDD's being so expensive these days.

Deano85 November 17, 2011 09:52 PM

Would an AMD A-4 be a better match based on video performance ?