Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13, 2011, 04:53 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for your opinions and input

1. This rig will be used primarily for Mmorpg's(mainly Wow),watching Anime,movies,and listening to music.
2.I will buying the components as I can afford them,one or more at a time.
3.The parts will be bought on-line,or at local independent computer shops in America.
4.My brand preferences are AMD and ATI.
5.As my current computer is an old single core that I got for free,none of it's core parts will be re-used.My keyboard,monitor,speakers,and mouse will be kept for the time being.
6.I have researched my list of parts using on-line reviews,and a few forums.
7.This rig might get overclocked a little,but nothing that requires overly exotic cooling.
8.I plan to start buying parts early next year and have it all assembled by late winter/early spring.
9.My current resolution with my old machine is 1024 by 768 on a 19" CRT.Yes,I'm old and I still prefer tubes.

These are the parts I've currently researched and picked out for my new build.I know by the time I start
buying parts,some may change.Just wanted to get some outside opinions,thoughts and ideas from y'all.And I will be assembling it myself.So here goes...

CPU : Amd Phenom II X4 980 BE
Video : Radeon 6790
Audio : Creative S.B. X-Fi Titanium
Mobo : MSI 890FXA-GD65
Ram : 4 X 4 Gigs of Kingston ddr3-1600 mhz
Case : Antec DF-85 Full tower
Power : Antec TruePower New 750 watt
Hard Drive(s) : Western Digital Caviar Black,1 Terabyte/7200 rpm
CD/DVD Rom : Samsung SH-B123L

And no,the AMD/ATI preferences are not negotiable. Thanks in advance for your input.)
Old November 13, 2011, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why do you need so much ram? as for the CPU for what you put the PC use is used for the 980 is over kill most everything there is overkill you probably could use the onboard sound ,now days the onboard sound is actually good for most people.
AMD - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor 3.2GHZ AM3 8MB... - HDZ955FBGMBOX - Powered by PriceCanada.com

Newegg.ca - Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
Old November 13, 2011, 06:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
Listen to this advice, the 955 is cheaper and is actually the same chip just not clocked as high (it is capable of running at 980 speeds easily). Even a 650 watt PSU is more than you need and I'm guessing you aren't going crossfire 6970 in the future because it isn't a good idea.

With the $40 (CPU) + $50 (PSU) + $80-90 (on SC) you could pick up an HD 6950 (+ have some cash in your pocket) or a 6970 and be set for a while.

Also that case is super expensive and doesn't really perform as well as it should for the price (I also think it is pretty ugly but to eah their own). Personally I would pick up a CM HAF 912 or Bitfenix Shinobi (white for me but black looks nice too) and save $80-$60, pick up the HD 6950 and buy a nice i5 2500k and a z68 mobo (even though you say it is non-negotiable honestly it is so worth it I was an AMD fanboy until BD came out but I won't buy an inferior product when I can get better).

The rig I just listed is infinitely better (in all aspects but the sound) than your current build selected.

EDIT: If you give us a budget we can give you a build even if you still want to stick with AMD ;)

Edit 2: Some benchmarks
AnandTech - The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...4,2845-12.html

Last edited by JJThomp; November 13, 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old November 13, 2011, 06:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post

Agree with these modifications including on board sound. Use money saved to up video card to a 6950 (good bang for buck card, though if your only playing wow its overkill).
Old November 13, 2011, 06:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Depends what he's doing in wow TBH. my 560 ti can dip to 35fps in certain scenarios (with all eye-candy at max and 1080)

I too was always an AMD fan. However, the vastness of the gap between the sandybridge chips and anything amd have to offer just can't be ignored rationally. That said the phenom suggested above will be plenty for what you are doing, if not as future-proof.

As stated above also the GPU you have chosen is the weak link in your build. Bump up to a 560ti / 6950 ish and you'll set better and for much longer.

The ram is over-kill and far beyond your needs. 2 x 4GB sticks is plenty. Again if you find your running out (not possible with the usage your listing above) you can add more later.

My usual tactics for building a new PC is get the best quality parts I can afford that will do for future builds (case psu hdd etc) then get what my budget allows for the rest while obviously not leaving myself in a situation where I'll have to upgrade for at least 2 years.
With the CPU and GPU you have chosen the possibility of having an upgrade needed in 2 years is very possible. As said before it is the GPU which would be of biggest concern in this regard.

On the sound-card. are you an audio nut? can you hear the difference between good quality speakers? or do you just not want the sound to suck?
If it's the last of the 3 questions then modern on-board is probably sufficient. Even if it's not you can always add in a card later when your budget allows if you are not happy with it.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:46 PM
Rookie

So your critiques so far are ;

I could go a little cheaper on the cpu.I was originally considering a Phenom 975 BE.By the time I finally start buying parts,hopefully high level X4's will be cheaper.Just figured if I wasn't going 6 or 8 cores,the fastest quad core would be good for a while.

I could do fine with 8 gb's of ram.Yes,true,but ram is cheap,so maybe I'll start with 8 gb's,and buy the other 8 later.

And to answer your questions about the sound card,yes,I am a sound nut.My audio output is usually hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-D2S reciever and played in 5 channel Dolby surround with real speakers.I was a band geek in school for 8 years,and am picky about sound quality.Been reading about how video cards are starting to handle audio duties.I'll have to try that for myself and see if it measures up to my sound quality standards.

I am flexible on the case and power supply,maybe.Just like to have lotsa room inside for easy maintenance,upgrading,and airflow.I drive a 1979 Thunderbird,if that gives you any insight into my old school sense of style and function.The 19" crt monitor should have given that away,too.lol.I guess,as far as the power supply goes(and the other potential overkill areas),I'd rather have extra capacity and not need it,than need more power and not have it.

Till next time...keep the input coming

P.S. The ram,power supply and slower cpu look ok.Checking out the video card(s) and cases y'all mentioned.

Last edited by booger1970; November 17, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old November 17, 2011, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try the on board sound out first because you can always by a soundcard later if you need which I very much doubt that you will need.
Old December 8, 2011, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Default 6950 looks good.

Looked at the CM Haf case,and it looks decent.The Radeon 6950 looks cool,too.Guess the 5970 would be way overkill,noticed it sitting on top of the comparison charts in the 6950 review.Expensive,but awesome.Hmm.Still curious about the quality on on-board sound nowadays.Is it comparable to the older sound cards,say like a Creative SB Audigy ?
Old December 8, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that it is close to those
Old December 8, 2011, 07:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No harm in saving the money and trying out the onboard sound for a week. If it isn't up to your standards, then pick up a Xonar sound card.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;