Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2011, 01:36 AM
Rookie

Default new build

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.

- my pc will be used for a far bit of gaming such as crysis warhead, crysis 1 and 2, far cry 2, bf3, mw3, medal of honour, and more fall out series, gta 4, and most other games, watching bluray movies,

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
- do not want to spend over $1100 for a budget pc.

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

- australia www.umart.com.au

4. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.

- i intend to use my micro atx motherboared from asrock it supports the procesors with a simply bios update just not sata 3 or ddr3 but will upgrade in the future just trying to save money atm.

5. WHEN do you plan to build it?

-when i gather the money to build it.

6. What resolution do you use?

-1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200

the parts i have been looking at include:
amd x6 1090t $189 or a x4 965 for $139
coolermaster haf x $215
coarsair tx 650w psu $113
4 gigs of ddr2 800 ugrade with new MB down the track.
msi gtx 560 to twin frozr ll OC $255
24 inch benq lcd moniter. $154
1 tb WD black

im using a old micro atx i have that support the x6 cpu i was wondering if the hyper 212+ or a hyper 212 evo will work on a micro atx boared if not what works well on micro atx motherboareds, and will a 4 pin cpu power give me enought power to use those cpu's.

would it be worth saving the extra 40 bucks on the x6 1090t and g for the 965 x4?

thanks,
steven
Old November 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Could you provide us with the specifics of your current motherboard? As it stands, the mATX motherboards do not usually support 125 Watt CPU, which the 1090T and 965 are, hence the 4-pin CPU power.
Old November 12, 2011, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Diamond 6950 2GB open box.

Check out this vid card. Its open box, but a great price. Might be able to unlock to 6970
Old November 12, 2011, 08:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I would use a Phenom II x4 955BE C3 stepping chip, save a few $, and overclock it, with a good motherboard it is easily done, unless you have a reason to go with the 6 core cpu, it is pricey for nothing, a 965 or 955 will be just as good in just about everything.

Also, a bios update doesnt allow the motherboard to supply power properly, is it is not 125+w it will never be.

I am using an M5A99X EVO motherboard, it uses DDR3 natively, and has all the features I would ever use, more then I need really, it is better to go with a board that uses AM3 or AM3+ cpu directly, as simply put, by the board having to support multipl things, it doesnt give the best of support for those things, not downing your motherboard, I just do not think it is the best thing to be doing with it, asking a lower end board to support high end stuff though a bios update, is like asking a pig to fly because you stitched a pair of wings on him :P

Ram, with the board I am using, it uses Rip Jaw X ram just fine, I am using 1866 RipJawX, 5 minutes or less in bios, I had it overclocked, and using the ram at its proper speed.

I would stay away from Diamond Video card with a 10foot pole, I know many many people that had nothing but complaints with thier card flaking out because they were ot tested throughly to run at thier rated speeds, not to mention thier customer support it apprently horrid, also, depends on the person, you might be saving a few $ on open box stuff, but you also might be missing things, I do not think it is worth it.

For me it is the card you listed, or XFX XXX(factory overclocked to 830 core clock) Dual fan or DD 6950 2gb.
These have a 60% or so rate of "unlocking" to become a 6970, however at thier "stock" speeds they are within 1% of a stock 6970, also the dual fan is among the best 6950 you can currently get. The 560Ti hawk one you listed is also one of the best 560Ti, I would go with the one you can get the lowest cost with the aftermarket fan, the XFX Dual fan is bar none one of the best ones on the market right now.

If you really wanted to save a few $, you could always get a Radeon 6870 like I have, it can overclock a bit and will play anything out there quite well, for me, with the proper settings in BF3 with phenom II x4 955 overclocked, 6870 overclocked, I get around 56-72 fps at 1920x1080 resolution with everything ingame set to high and some things on ultra, it plays very well, my buddy with 6950 same settings but ultra gets 64-85 fps, this is during multiplayer online in 64 man maps.

I would also go with a 750watt power supply such as HX750 or Antec TP 750 or similar, not that its "needed" but you are always better to have some overhead.

For cpu cooler, a hyper 212+ or EVO should work fine, however, I would get it with 2 of the stock fans it comes with they are Coolermaster Blademaster 120mm fans if I remember right they are 76.8cfm models.
Nice thing about the hyper 212+ is even if the fans are a little tight against the motherboard/ram you can always "slide them up a bit" to give you a little more clearence.

Just make sure the case has at least 160mm cpu cooler space, and at least 12 inch or so gpu length, a HAF 922/932 or so can easily fit a hyper 212+ and Radeon 6950 with some room to spare.

Last edited by Dragonstongue; November 12, 2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
For cpu cooler, a hyper 212+ or EVO should work fine, however, I would get it with 2 of the stock fans it comes with they are Coolermaster Blademaster 120mm fans if I remember right they are 76.8cfm models.
Nice thing about the hyper 212+ is even if the fans are a little tight against the motherboard/ram you can always "slide them up a bit" to give you a little more clearence.

Just make sure the case has at least 160mm cpu cooler space, and at least 12 inch or so gpu length, a HAF 922/932 or so can easily fit a hyper 212+ and Radeon 6950 with some room to spare.
OP...see your Down Under, curious what part of Oz your in as I just spent a few weeks in QSLD visiting a friend (and my Son),,,,quoted above Cooling Solution as I'm concerned with "Micro Board" and OC'ing etc etc.....

In other words average day time Temps when I was there a few weeks ago were 30-35C......do you have AirCon? My friend I visited there in Airlie Beach has a Son whom is also into PC Gaming, him n his friends insist on WC (for obvious reasons), unless of course your AirCon is running routinely keeping Comp Room temps down to around 25C.

Really, with that Case you've chosen, save your $$$ a tad longer and go with a Full size Board, DDR3 etc etc.....