Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 11, 2011, 05:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default A list of "To-Do's" after completing a build

As the title suggests, Im looking for a common list of things people do after getting thier new builds up and running? Im not talking about things like Anti-virus and such. But things like tweaks, tests, settings for hardware even. Please be descriptive. I am only average in my knowledge about the inner workings of computers. Thanks for your input.

System Specs:
CPU - Intel i7 2600k
GPU - EVGA GTX 580(single)
MoBo- ASUS P8z68 Deluxe
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4gb)
HDD - WD 2TB Caviar Black
SSD - Crucial M4 128g
PSU - Corsiar Pro Series HX1050
Case- CM Storm Scout

Last edited by jdawson8; November 11, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old November 11, 2011, 05:45 PM
MVP

Install network driver from disk or previously downloaded to thumb drive. Find all other drivers on the 'net, including if available a fresh network driver. Update windows. Got into bios. Overclock. :D
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 11, 2011, 05:52 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Can I just let Windows Update do that? Or do I need to do it manually. If manually, got the sites I can dl from?
Old November 11, 2011, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

Before you do anything I suggest a couple runs of Memtest86 to verify memory stability then prime95 for overall system stability.

Then worry about drivers and overclocking.
Old November 11, 2011, 07:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure you can let windows update everything but sometimes is not a good idea. I, for example, refuse to upgrade to the nvidia driver from the Windows update stack, had some issues once and since then I avoid it. Let it update for everything else like security updates, Service Pack. For drivers in general I avoid those from Windows Update preferring some stable drivers from the manufacturer or chip producer (Nvidia, realtek let's say). As tweak you could disable the pagefile, at 16GB is more than enough the RAM by itself. Your SSD does not work with TRIM I think, but has excellent algorithms for garbage collection, so you are ok, no tweaking there. maybe shrink the size of recycle bin to 100MB maybe? If yous stay with Win 7 the defender is pretty good, I haven't got a "real" antivirus from quite some time and I am ok. Virus/spyware scans could be scheduled once a week, preferably during the night, the same for mechanical HDD defragmentation process, SSD does not need that, will do it's own garbage collection when is idle. Video card settings, maximized for max performance in Nvidia control panel or AMD Catalyst, or you can turn on the eye candy even for 2D mode like AA and AF. I stopped performance testing for a new rig quite some time ago, but sure you can always go with a run or 2 of 3D Mark/Futuremark. I like more the Unigine Heaven benchmark, soundtrack is cool :)
Old November 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Before you do anything I suggest a couple runs of Memtest86 to verify memory stability then prime95 for overall system stability.

Then worry about drivers and overclocking.
How long do I need to run Prime95 for?
Old November 11, 2011, 08:53 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson8 View Post
How long do I need to run Prime95 for?

I would give it at least a good 24 hour burn, small FFTs say for half of that and than large for the rest of the day. Gives you a good idea if everything.

Make sure you update all your board drivers. Then use CCleaner to get rid of all the junk left behind both in temp files and registery.

Good Luck!

~Krazy~
Old November 11, 2011, 09:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

1) as soon as possible, run your windows experience index... this will have windows do a few basic tweaks to make the OS more SSD friendly. There are still a few things you'll want to look up and do if you need the most performance/life of your SSD.

2) Yes, get all the drivers, see if your firmware is up to date (SSD, mobo, sometimes HDD too).

3) Definitely do stress test! OCCT, CPU-Z, Prime95, stresscpu2, MSI afterburner, crystaldiskinfo, memtest to name a few useful tools... might as well find out if you have defective parts ASAP so you can get that annoying process started (hopefully you don't).

4) Find and install all the goody/useful programs you need/want and KEEP all the installation files or a list in case you ever need to re-format or something!!!!!!!

5) BEFORE you fill up your computer with bloat and slow it down, create a disk image of a 'pristine' install in case you ever need to make an emergency format! :D SAVES HOURS OF TIME!
Old November 11, 2011, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Since when does Windows Experience do any tweaking? Need proof on this.
Old November 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Since when does Windows Experience do any tweaking? Need proof on this.
It disables disk defrag, prefetch, a couple other SSD specific tweaks. Not sure if it does anything except the SSD tweaks... doesn't always work if it's not done soon after installing windows. Windows 7 only btw.