Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 10, 2011, 05:49 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Wink Simple question about stock i7 Extreme coolers

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
Gaming - from ridiculous RTS games to ridiculous FPS games, I'm a wide variety kind of gamer.
General internet usage - not all that important

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread
I am very desperate to keep it under $4050

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.
USA, and I should note a lot of this has already been ordered

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy, Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc, etc, etc, you get the picture.
Not particularly, definitely wanna sell my soul to Intel and I have decided to switch back over to Nvidia recently since I can't seem to make up my mind too well in the VGA wars.

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
My question revolves around one of my old parts. I have a 1366 aftermarket CPU cooler. The brand is Rosewill and the model is RCX-ZAIO-92.

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads.
I did a search for the aftermarket CPU fan + heatsink, only result was a thread I had started 8 months ago when I purchased said fan and heatsink.

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.
No. Stock is fine by me.

8. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Don't have the shipping info yet, but I would guess that all of the necessarity parts will be ordered by 9pm tomorrow (most of them were ordered last night) and as a result the absolute latest I see myself building this thing is the 19th of November.

9. What resolution do you use?
1920x1080

I ordered a supreme rig (see my system specs dropdown thing) and I have a question regarding the stock intel cooler that ships with the i7-990x ee cpu. Would that cooler be better than the aftermarket Rosewill model I purchased some time ago? Here is a link to the manufacturer product page for reference:
Rosewill.com - Computer Case, Power Supply, Computer Accessories, Networking, Peripherals. Price, Quality, and Services.

Also, how is the stock i7 990x heatsink and fan? This is an important question to me. If it will serve its purpose, I won't even bother with aftermarket. However, the stock for my i7 920 was nothing but jank, albeit completely different from the stock for the i7 990x ee.

Please keep in mind the following: With everything I've ordered, I am at my budget cap. So no fancy aftermarket cooler unless you are buying. I am also just making an educated guess, but I would imagine removing the heatsink and fan from my i7 920 will turn out to be a pain, and maybe even impossible to switch to the new cpu without buying thermal paste and the like.

Thank you so much for your time.

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.

Last edited by SugarJ; November 16, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you order an intel 990x you should cancel your order, not only is it outperformed by an i7 2600k in games but intel socket 2011 is coming soon and should blow it out of the water.
Old November 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
If you order an intel 990x you should cancel your order, not only is it outperformed by an i7 2600k in games but intel socket 2011 is coming soon and should blow it out of the water.
I am skeptical about the 2600k outperforming it in games. From all the benchmarks I've read, the 990x has it beat.

HOWEVER, I did notice the LGA 2011 stuff came out yesterday, and I ordered the parts today. As to my original question, my hand is now forced a little (the newer intel stuff does not have cooling included with it retail). So anyone want to recommend me a cooler for the bad boy (went with the 3960x)? I don't know if anyone has good knowledge of this seeing as it is only a day after release, but any input is appreciated.

P.S. I just realized I have 2 Hardware Canucks accounts... is that bad? (I am OP)

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.
Old November 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantinov View Post
I am skeptical about the 2600k outperforming it in games. From all the benchmarks I've read, the 990x has it beat.

HOWEVER, I did notice the LGA 2011 stuff came out yesterday, and I ordered the parts today. As to my original question, my hand is now forced a little (the newer intel stuff does not have cooling included with it retail). So anyone want to recommend me a cooler for the bad boy (went with the 3960x)? I don't know if anyone has good knowledge of this seeing as it is only a day after release, but any input is appreciated.

P.S. I just realized I have 2 Hardware Canucks accounts... is that bad? (I am OP)
You can liquid cool it for about $80. Maybe even a tad less. Corsair,Thermaltake, etc. etc.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old November 15, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I know if I was spending 4 grand on a gaming machine I would definitely be going 2011 not 1366. Especially for multi GPU!
Old November 15, 2011, 01:34 PM
MVP

The Corsair stuff, H80/H100 would be what I would recommend, does come with a bracket for 2011.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 15, 2011, 05:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I just purchased a 2600k and ordered an AS Rock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3.. Should I return and cancel this for LGA 2011?
Old November 15, 2011, 07:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM - Ottawa View Post
I just purchased a 2600k and ordered an AS Rock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3.. Should I return and cancel this for LGA 2011?
Not unless you are benchmarking, The 2600k is on par with all 2011 CPU's in gaming, the only difference would be the PCI-E lanes which the 2600k can only run 2 at x8 where as 2011 can have many more. Honestly I wouldn't change because I can't even comprehends spending that much money on just a processor, the processor alone is the price of my rig.

@Konstantinov Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5-2500K & Core i7-2600K Processors Review seems pretty conclusive to me in most games an i5 2500k outperforms it. Also for cooling I would run a Noctua NH-D14 unless you want to go watercooling but the self contained units are pretty much the same performance.
Old November 15, 2011, 07:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Agreed. The difference between the 2600K and the 3960K is extra cores and extra PCI-E lanes. Unless you are running multiple graphics cards, a 2500 or 2600k will do just fine on all of today's games with a single card.
Old November 16, 2011, 04:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Agreed. The difference between the 2600K and the 3960K is extra cores and extra PCI-E lanes. Unless you are running multiple graphics cards, a 2500 or 2600k will do just fine on all of today's games with a single card.
What would be the difference for the multiple graphics cards. You and Thomp mention the PCI-E.

I ordered 2 of

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 3GB GDDR5 2xDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card
Buy eVGA [03G-P3-1584-AR] EVGA GeForce GTX 580 Fermi 772MHZ 3GB GDDR5 2xDVI Mini-HDMI PCI-E Video Card

What would be the difference in how the LGA2011 runs my gpus? I also got the mobo for the option of adding a 3rd card down the road.

Tags
after market , cpu cooler , intel , rosewill , stock