Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 05:41 PM
Rookie

Default Looking to build up a P80R, need help!

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and I just have a few questions...
This is my current setup:

Lian li p80r case
5850 vapor-x
auzentech prelude
intel 775 board, q8300 cpu
antec earthwatts 650w PSU
That's about it that's important! Please do ask if you need any more information...

1. Motherboard:
I'm looking to get the Asus Maximus Extreme-Z as it would look good with my case etc. Other than that would be the Gigabyte g1 sniper 2 (thoughts?) Should I be worrying about PCIe 3.0 compliance, since the Asus board is not PCIe 3.0?

2. Sound Card:
If I go with the asus board, it doesn't have any PCI slots, so I wouldn't be able to use my auzentech prelude card. Can anyone recommend a PCIe x2 card that either is as good or surpasses this card? I would want a asus or auzen card, and I'm not an expert in the ways of knowing what opamps etc etc are the best! Primary use will be for speakers on edifier s550 or edifier s550 + z2300, listening to music. I do game too, though.

3. PSU:
If I get a really big PSU ie corsair ax1200 (for example), my case has the PSU top mounted, and has a little circular gap for the fan, and I'm concerned that if I get a bigger PSU with the fan mounted further inwards, that some of the metal on the case will block airflow into the PSU?

4. CPU Cooler:
If I get say the Noctua DH-D14, would it fit on the asus motherboard? What sort of ram would it fit, ie would it fit dominator ram with the really big heatsinks?
Also, as the PSU is top mounted, will this mean it won't be able to get sufficient air to cool itself, as the CPU cooler would be blocking it in a way?

5. Would anyone recommend changing the stock fans on the P80R? I Guess they are pretty good, but thoughts?

That's about it! If I have forgotten anything I will update :D

Please let me know what you think!
And, thank you in advance if you read this and reply :)
Old November 8, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

1. If you have the money for the sniper the PCIE 3.0 is good future proofing.
2. I don;t know about sound cards
3. PSU is fine, they always have the fan mounted in the same place even if it is a little longer, not to mention the AX 1200's fan will probably never even turn on because it is so efficient and has so much headroom.
4. You need low profile ram for pretty much any tower cooler, and it's fine being close to the psu and it should fit any motherboard.
5. You could but Lian Li gives you decent fans so it wouldn't be a high priority in my books.
Old November 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Are you going to be running multiple video cards? What card(s) do you plan on upgrading to?
Old November 8, 2011, 05:04 PM
Rookie

Ah I see. Would you recommend vengeance or dominator ram for a sandy bridge?
Would it be worth waiting until the first quarter of 2012 for ivy bridge?

I probably won't be running multiple cards, I'll be looking at getting a MSI GTX 580 Lightning (twin frozr iii) and that should be good enough to run on full hd :)

I've also had an eye out for the Asus 27" 278Q 1920x1080 LED monitor, is there any pixelation? I'm currently running a 23.6" chimei full hd just over a metre away from my seating position.

Cheers :)
Old November 8, 2011, 05:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Then you should only need an 850W PSU max. 1200 is way past overkill for a single 580. Save the money for games :D
Old November 8, 2011, 05:20 PM
Rookie

Yea I was going to say that in my previous response but forgot! I was just saying AX1200 for example :P

A corsair AX or HX 850W would suit my needs perfectly, it's just with my Cooler Master Earthwatts 650W, its non-modular and as you can imagine, is very messy in my case!
Old November 8, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangedAs View Post
Ah I see. Would you recommend vengeance or dominator ram for a sandy bridge?
Would it be worth waiting until the first quarter of 2012 for ivy bridge?

I probably won't be running multiple cards, I'll be looking at getting a MSI GTX 580 Lightning (twin frozr iii) and that should be good enough to run on full hd :)

I've also had an eye out for the Asus 27" 278Q 1920x1080 LED monitor, is there any pixelation? I'm currently running a 23.6" chimei full hd just over a metre away from my seating position.

Cheers :)
Honestly any RAM that is low profile and 1.5v will do I personally have this NCIX.com - Buy Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte PC3-12800 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.5V Dual Channel Memory - Mushkin Enhanced - 996995 - in Canada RAM in my rig and it is low profile and stays nice and cool.
I personally would not go 27" on a 1920x1080 monitor that I would be sitting right infront of. I have a hard enough time not getting tunnel vision on my 24" monitor.
Old November 9, 2011, 03:20 PM
Rookie

Awesome! Starting to piece together a nice build for my pc! For the motherboard (Asus maximus IV vs. gigabyte g1 sniper 2) the asus would look alot better in my P80R, does anyone agree, and should i consider the gigabyte due to PCIe 3.0?

It should be noted I will be running a discrete sound card.