Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2011, 05:06 PM
Rookie

Default What Ram, PSU and CPU cooler should i get?

Hey guys I'm looking to upgrade my ram and CPU cooler. My rig is currently:

i7 2600k 4.0 ghz
4G (2x2) Kingston HyperX 1866mhz
AsRock p67 Extreme4 Gen3
Sapphire 2G 6970 "PCIe"
Sound Blaster XFi Fatal1ty Titanium
Thermaltake level 10 GT
CPU cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT
ExtremeGear 900W PSU (THIS THING REALLY SUCKS IDK WHY I BOUGHT THIS ONE)

I am currently hitting temps of 32C at idle and as high as 42C load on my i7. I was told that this is a stable temperature. But I wanna overclock it more, till like 4.4 or 4.8. Should i get the H100 or H80? I see like $6 difference on their prices and the h100 gives me a 240mm radiator.

And my card goes as high as 82C on load (which might be a normal thing since it is a 220W card.) Should I change the stock cooler with the Accelero Extrem Plus II?

About the PSU i'm looking at a Corsair AX750 80 Plus Gold ($147), Cougar SX 850 80 Plus Silver ($158), Thermaltake ToughPower Grand 850W 80 Plus Gold($220). Which one is the best? Or are there any others that you guys can recommend? Thanks guys.

---------
Photo of Rig
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...62038028_n.jpg
Old November 6, 2011, 11:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Here are my suggestions (keep in mind im changing quite a few things but i highly recommend it):
Get rid of your thermaltake GT and purchase either a cooler master HAF X or a Cooler Master Storm Trooper.
For your cpu cooler i highly suggest you purchase a Noctua NH-D14.
You honestly should get 8gb of Ram the Sniper or the Ripjaws X series are great!
And lastly, the Antec High Current Power Gold 750w is a great PSU.
Old November 7, 2011, 12:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The level 10GT is an expensive case I don't really see the need to replace that. I say you might be able to improve cooling if you move some parts of your hardware. Mybe try a bit of cleaning as well or move the case to a different location.
Old November 7, 2011, 01:39 AM
Rookie

Thank you for the replies guys.

My case is actually new (1 week.) I used to have a In Win Dragon Rider case but I did not like the fact that it's "mesh" holes are too huge. They ain't even filtering any dust so I had to do a lot of cleaning on that. My temps actually improved with my new case to be honest. My VGA temp decreased from 92C LOAD to 82C Load. My CPU decreased by 4C. So i think this case is doing a better job than my old one, and it has great filters too!

And yeah i forgot to mention that I am upgrading my ram to either 8G of Ripjaw or Corsair Dominator. But I've seen great reviews on Ripjaws so I might go with that (Thanks PcWizTech)

And on the CPU cooler can the noctuah handle the heat of 4.8ghz?

Yet again thanks for the help guys
Old November 7, 2011, 02:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaetot328 View Post
And on the CPU cooler can the noctuah handle the heat of 4.8ghz?

Yet again thanks for the help guys
First off, im simply not going to lie to you. I am not an expert however i do have quite some knowledge on computers (not ALOT, but enought). Despite me being new at these forums(: . Personally, if you go THAT high of GHZ i highly suggest that you do custom watercooling. The Noctua and the H100 are great but 4.8 ghz is very high, i mean VERY. Anyways,let me know if you need anything else. I really do like helping out people. However, you should check your card because those temperatures are abnormally high.

On a side note: Let me know how that motherboard is doing. Im planning to build a new rig myself and i currently have that motherboard picked out. However, i dont know if it is my best option. Thanks!
Old November 7, 2011, 03:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Just to add on that. Some people are able to achieve 5.0ghz using their Noctua NH-D14. But not all, some chips are made differently. In my view the Noctua NH-D14 should be able to handle 4.8 if you have adequate air cooling. But as PcWizTech said go water cooling if you can go for it. Lastly for your power supply, if you just plan on running your system the AX750 should be more than enough for your needs. Also you have that fully modular advantage and 80+ gold certification. An alternative to consider is Seasonic. Both companies are set for quality you can't go wrong picking any one. But I do recomend going for modular for improve airflow and less clutter. Lastly I will not really consider both Thermaltake and Coolermaster powersupplies. As they are more likely to fail in some way.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:06 AM
Rookie

@PcWizTech

Well I to am not that PRO on these stuffs. I've only started being a computer enthusiast like 6 months ago and there's a lot left to learn. I used to have water cooling on my rig but it leaked and burned my GTX 560 Ti SLI and Asus Maximus IV extreme Mobo. Damn kit destroyed $700 worth of geekness :( So I decided to go air cooling since then. I am starting to reconsider water cooling again, but it's gonna cost a lot. I still got my old radiator and block in here and I only need to get a pump and reservoir.

My VGA temps are actually normal at these levels because the card uses 250W. So it really sucks a lot of juice. And as we all know, more energy means more heat. I've seen people on other forums saying their temps are going more than 92C. If my card ever goes at that level then I might try the Accelero Extreme Plus II for my card. If it does not suffice my needs then I have no choice but to water cool my system.

@Avenger

Thanks for that. Is 750 really enough? 'Cause the AMD site says the card needs at least a 550W PSU. But I have to power up my mobo, HDD, Fans, lights, etc.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

If your not comfortable go for a 850watt. Do you plan on going crossfire X ? But yes it should be cause my older generation 5970 runs on that power supply before I upgraded.
Old November 7, 2011, 04:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger212 View Post
If your not comfortable go for a 850watt. Do you plan on going crossfire X ? But yes it should be cause my older generation 5970 runs on that power supply before I upgraded.
Isn't 5970 a dual GPU card? it's like a 5870 CF rght? then i guess 750W is enough for a single 6970.

Oh i forgot to ask does the mhz in Ram matter? When i first built this pc i did not know that my Kingston HyperX ram was running on 800 something mhz.. I couldn't remmber but it was so low. Now I'm running it on 1866 and it seems to boot up my apps faster. But is there a big difference between 1866 and a 2133? Or should i stick with a 1600mhz ram when i upgrade on the Ripjaw modules?
Old November 7, 2011, 04:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I believe Avenger212 and Jaetot328 have very good points. If this is your first time build, take it easy and go with the noctua. It really is a great CPU cooler. Then, if you really feel unconfortable go with a 850w. However, the 750w should be enough for you.