Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2011, 05:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

That particular model for the Asrock has 5 fan headers (including the CPU fan header)
Old November 7, 2011, 05:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So does that mean that i could only run 5 fans total (including cpu)? For example, i am using a NOCTUA NH d14 cpu cooler. In reality that cpu cooler has 2 fans. So if you think about it i have, 2 at the top, 1 in the back, 2 at the cpu, 1 at the side, 1 at the front. 7 Total. Damn, whats another good motherboard then :/
Old November 7, 2011, 05:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
So does that mean that i could only run 5 fans total (including cpu)? For example, i am using a NOCTUA NH d14 cpu cooler. In reality that cpu cooler has 2 fans. So if you think about it i have, 2 at the top, 1 in the back, 2 at the cpu, 1 at the side, 1 at the front. 7 Total. Damn, whats another good motherboard then :/
You just have to plug the rest of the fans directly into the PSU and they run at max without a fan controller.

Alternatively you could buy a fan controller.
Old November 7, 2011, 05:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I say cheat and buy pwm fan splitters. Also you have the option of connecting the fans directly to the Molex powersupply (if you have a converter) problem is its going to run at full speed forever and ever amen!
Edit: unless you use under voltage adapters
Old November 7, 2011, 05:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Okay here is the thing, the front fan (230m) and the top two fans (200m) are all LEDs. The front of the case has a LED On/Off Option. Could i connect those three fans to one plug or how does this work? Im honestly confused. Does the led on off and the power on off cable go to the fan then the fan cable goes to the motherboard? Or does one button only work for only one fan?

Edit: I'm very sorry about all this, I'm pretty new to all this but i have quite the knowledge its just that im confusing myself. Does the CPu cooler count as 2 or 1 fan? And is this motherboard good? Im hearing some bad reviews from it. What is another best option? Ive been told Gigabyte of ASus. Once again IM VERRY SORRY FOR ALL THESE QUESTIONS :/.

Resume: My questions:
1. Could i connect those three LED fans (230mm, 200mmX2) to one button of LED on/off and one button of power on/off?
2. Does the led on off and the power on off cable go to the fan then the fan cable goes to the motherboard?
4. Does the CPu cooler count as 2 or 1 fan?
5. Im hearing some bad reviews from it. What is another best option? Ive been told Gigabyte of Asus. Price range: 100-200$ no more please.

Last edited by PcWizTech; November 7, 2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old November 7, 2011, 07:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

After searching, i am currently looking at the
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. I wanted to know your guyss' thoughts on this motherboard. On newegg, it is currently priced at $209.99 it is a p8z68 and a Gen3 motherboard. Will I be able to use an intel i7-2600k and stick my gtx 560 ti in the pci express 3.0 slot would it work?

Last edited by PcWizTech; November 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:50 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Okay here is the thing, the front fan (230m) and the top two fans (200m) are all LEDs. The front of the case has a LED On/Off Option. Could i connect those three fans to one plug or how does this work? Im honestly confused. Does the led on off and the power on off cable go to the fan then the fan cable goes to the motherboard? Or does one button only work for only one fan?

Edit: I'm very sorry about all this, I'm pretty new to all this but i have quite the knowledge its just that im confusing myself. Does the CPu cooler count as 2 or 1 fan? And is this motherboard good? Im hearing some bad reviews from it. What is another best option? Ive been told Gigabyte of ASus. Once again IM VERRY SORRY FOR ALL THESE QUESTIONS :/.

Resume: My questions:
1. Could i connect those three LED fans (230mm, 200mmX2) to one button of LED on/off and one button of power on/off?
2. Does the led on off and the power on off cable go to the fan then the fan cable goes to the motherboard?
4. Does the CPu cooler count as 2 or 1 fan?
5. Im hearing some bad reviews from it. What is another best option? Ive been told Gigabyte of Asus. Price range: 100-200$ no more please.
Hey, if the HAF X nvidia ed. is anything like the HAF 922 (in some ways it is, in others it isn't) then

1. no, you cant connect the other 3 fans to the existing led on / off switch for the front fan (its controlled by 1 connection
2. the fan cable for on / off goes to the motherboard, the power on / off does as well but they are seperate cables alltogether (once you get your motherboard it should be pretty clear where to connect them)
4. just 1
5. not sure about the motherboard... i went with zotac on my last build and absolutely regretted it, tho it served its purpose i suppose... my advice? go with something that has a good review (which doesnt necessarily mean a recognized brand)

also, you didnt ask but since you were inquiring a lot about on / off switches for the LED fans, i have 2 suggestions:

1) if you are absolutely hell-bent on going with LED fans, this option doesn't apply obviously but 1 option would be for all the aftermarket fans, get non-LED... I *think* for the HAF X nvidia, only the included front 230mm fan is green, the rest are non-LED to begin with IIRC.

2) if you are absolutely a huge nvidia fan boi *OR* hellbent on the nvidia ed. HAF X, then this option doesn't apply as well either, but you *could* go for the HAF X blue case... pretty much the same case except for looks and as far as LED on / off switches, this comes standard with most of the slots being populated with a fan that has an on / off controller, with the exception as one of the 200mm top fans I believe is not even included with purchase... the rest *are* blue LED and *do* have on / off switches already

hope this helps! good luck!

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.

Last edited by SugarJ; November 16, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 05:51 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
After searching, i am currently looking at the
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS. I wanted to know your guyss' thoughts on this motherboard. On newegg, it is currently priced at $209.99 it is a p8z68 and a Gen3 motherboard. Will I be able to use an intel i7-2600k and stick my gtx 560 ti in the pci express 3.0 slot would it work?
Pretty sure the i7-2600k is socket 1155, so yes, it'll work there. Also the 3.0 slot is backwards compatible so your PCIe 2.0 *will* work with it.

It's not the common man that's important at all. It's the uncommon man.

Last edited by SugarJ; November 16, 2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old November 10, 2011, 01:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Alright guys looks like im all set . I decided to stay with all the non led fans and i might get a second 200mm fan up top. What I plan to do is simply get and led strip that I saw that comes with a controller and use that. It seems like the best option IMO. Once again, I cannot thank you all enough, I have learned so much in these past months. Many thanks!
Old November 15, 2011, 12:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'd recommend an asus z68/p67 board, the bios is way better laid out than gigabyte's. I built a bomputer for my friend with a z68 ud3, and the bios crashed on me the second day, like to the point I couldn't access bios and flash it, returned it for an asus z68 LE, it was many times better