Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2011, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Wow thank you for all that. The only game I look forward to playing is bf3. Besides that my job is to edit and film and create some tutorials with my spare time. So I use after effects, photoshop, fraps, and camtasia. After stating that, is the amd the way to go? Btw I'm staying with the 750w psi and switching to g.skill sniper series ram. Thanks guys!
Old November 6, 2011, 12:47 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Go for intel. Every minute you will save (remember, while a bit more expensive, a 2600k is A LOT faster than any amd 6 cores. Just google it) is worth it if you're talking about work. Less time you take to do your job, the more money you can make in a day. The whole system will cost you more, and will be probably overkill gaming wise, but with time, you will get more out of your computer. The GPU is gonna be the only thing related to gaming, the rest of the systems should be evaluated regarding your software (more cores or not, more ram or not, etc.)

Just my two cents
Old November 6, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
...my job is to edit and film and create some tutorials with my spare time. So I use after effects, photoshop, fraps, and camtasia.
Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5-2500K & Core i7-2600K Processors Review
Intel is faster than AMD for most encoding and graphics related tasks, and it's been that way for a while. A 2600k or 2500k will be more expensive than AMD, but it will be worth it if time means money for those editing tasks.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh wow, what would be a nice black or red motherboard then under 200? Best if it was even 150 or below.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

AMD FTW! The crosshair V is the ultimate in AMD fanboy gear. My good friend and I plan to overhaul his system this winter break with such a board.

The reasons I like the crosshair V better than the TUF sabertooth aren't that groundbreaking:

-"ROG Game First" - lets you prioritize your network traffic and in theory gives you better bf3 ping.

-A bit better sound processing software than the TUF.

-Option to run quad crossfire with the purchase of a daughterboard. Too sick.

-The on board switches on the crosshair are very nice. You can noob overclock by a respectable amount (just hit da "oc" button on da board for da stable overklok).

-Included are 3 temperature probes whose ports are correlated the the optional fan connectors 1,2,3.

-The corsshair V has 8 fan headers (all 4 pin, pwm and voltage switchable) vs the tuf's 6 (five 4 pin, one 3 pin).

This fan controller can handle most fans, even the high amperage ones. The optional fans (the 2 cpu fans) can be swapped from PWM to voltage regulated mode via a bios switch! And three of the fans can be told to vary their speed based on one of 3 on-board temperature probes!

To me this last feature is so wonderful as apparently the board can pump out a whopping 7A @ 12 V = 84 watts!

-A whole tool chest of geeky tools. Your imagination (and your wallet) are the limiting reagents with respect to what you can do with this board. (example: using the optional fan headers and temp probes to regulate fan use on a liquid cooled system to minimize noise.)

Oh yeah and the price difference for me is just $20.00 at the local mem express.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Let's say I went with the i5 would a asrock z68 professional gen 3 motherboard be good? Yes, I know it's over my budget but still.
Edit: I can actually afford the i7 2600k! But sadly I can only afford a motherboard that is under 150 should I do that instead?
Old November 6, 2011, 01:19 PM
MVP

You mentioned quite a few multithreaded apps. 2500K has fewer cores and no hyperthreading, 2600K has MORE cores and HYPERTHREADING. You want this. It's no help for most games, but is great for apps that can use multiple threads.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 01:35 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Unless you are going to spend hours tinkering with cooling setups and benchmarking, you'll probably have a lot more fun with the i7 and a 150 dollar z68 mobo. Especially if you do work on your computer, the i7 eclipses the 1090 in processor performance.

Tags
assistance , cases , compatibility , computer building , motherboards