Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2011, 09:50 AM
Top Prospect

Looks good to me! As long as you are planning to primarily run games, the 2500K will be a great CPU for you. If you plan to do lots of CPU heavy work (video encoding, for instance), you might want to consider the 2600K...but, otherwise this looks pretty solid.

Regarding the SSD, the Crucial M4's are highly recommended by the SSD guru's around here (notably AKG).

128GB should be lots of space for your OS and most programs. It should leave a fair bit of space for over-provisioining/wear leveling too.

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Best of luck with your build! :)
Old November 5, 2011, 10:10 AM
Top Prospect

ty man :D and yeah I'm gonna be gaming mostly. Should I buy an after market cpu cooler? Or no the i5 comes with a good one?
Old November 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
Regarding the SSD, the Crucial M4's are highly recommended by the SSD guru's around here (notably AKG).

128GB should be lots of space for your OS and most programs. It should leave a fair bit of space for over-provisioining/wear leveling too.

Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Best of luck with your build! :)
I have to second the Crucial M4, while I am not an SSD Guru, I have one and it has been problem free, it is fast enough for someone that hasn't run SSD's in the past. The 128gb is tons for the O/S and games. I have Win 7 pro, BFBC2, BF3, Portal, Portal 2, Steam, Origin, and Fallout 3 on mine, and I am sitting at 48gb free.
For a CPU cooler I would go with the Coolermast Hyper 212 plus, it is pretty well the best bang for buck cooler you can get. If you aren't planning on lots of voltage being pushed at the CPU there is no reason to go with a bigger cooler.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
Old November 5, 2011, 10:31 AM
Top Prospect

So in essence you're saying I won't really be using my 500gb hdd?
Old November 5, 2011, 10:35 AM
Top Prospect

Glad to help! Regarding the CPU cooler, the stock one will get the job done if you want to keep your CPU at stock speeds. However, you're going to be running a very powerful video card and it's usually a good idea to overclock your CPU in this case. Typically, your CPU will look after things like AI and physics while gaming...so, depending on how the load gets distributed among the CPU and the graphics card, sometimes the CPU can limit the performance of the game - in this case, overclocking the CPU will help performance.

When it comes to overclocking the 2500K chips, it's quite easy and they usually have tons of head-room (typically you can get DEEP into 4GHz land). But, you will need an aftermarket cooler for this. Since you are looking at the Corsair Vengeance modules, it will be difficult to fit an after market air cooler, so you can look at something like a pre-built water coolers such as the Corsair H80

Newegg.com - CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

As an alternative, you can pick up the Vengeance Low-Profile memory, and look into a good air cooler. IMO, one of the best air-coolers you can get is the Noctua NH-D14.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

Newegg.com - Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

Something else to consider, even if you decide you don't want to overclock, is just getting an inexpensive after market cooler anyway. The stock one does work, but can be a bit noisy. Something like the Coolermaster 212+ will work just fine.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
Old November 5, 2011, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

oh mann :D THANK YOU, what I think I'm going to do is switch the RAM into the low profile and get the hyper 212 like you said, but would that mean I need to buy thermal paste?
Old November 5, 2011, 10:42 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan5418 View Post
So in essence you're saying I won't really be using my 500gb hdd?
Just to clarify, you can use any other hard drives along with an SSD. For instance, the motherboard you're looking at allows you to connect 8 SATA drives.

Basically, when you have more than one hard drive, you'll just see more drives under 'My Computer'.

What is very common is to install Windows and most programs on the SSD. Then use the mechanical hard drive for storage (keep pictures, music, etc...).

I hope this helps...just post back if you have questions! :)
Old November 5, 2011, 10:44 AM
Top Prospect

Is the ssd worth the extra 200$? Because I don't want to buy it then it ends up being not such a big difference you know?
Old November 5, 2011, 10:52 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marwan5418 View Post
oh mann :D THANK YOU, what I think I'm going to do is switch the RAM into the low profile and get the hyper 212 like you said, but would that mean I need to buy thermal paste?
No problem! :)

Most heat sinks will include thermal paste, but for the cost of it, you can pick up some good stuff. I've had good results with the Arctic Cooling MX-4.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Arctic Cooling MX-4 AC-MX4 4 gram (g) All-Around Thermal Compound