Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 4, 2011, 03:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

HAF 922/932 or Raven series such as raven 3, I have one, and if you take the time, it is an exceptional case.

For Power supply check out Antec-HCP 750 Gold, it is quite reasonably priced, can price match it back to memory express to save a few $, or you can go with an HX750-850 unit, stellar power supplies, with lots of power available, course if you wanted to go with dual gpu I would try to get a high quality 750 at minimum 850-900 prefered.

Also you may want to think of an aftermarket cooler, I personally really like the Hyper 212+ with push pull with the same stock blademaster 120 fan, it will cost around $50 with 1 extra fan, and some good thermal paste such as MX4

Motherboard wise, I am very partial to Asus, thier Z68 series are apprently top notch, and have a very mature bios. The P8PZ68-V or V-Pro as they can support multi-card gpu use, another possible choice is P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) or Sabertooth P67, though for Sabertooth you would be best to get one of the crossflow fans to better cool it.

2500K is the best pick for gaming and such the 2600k really only truly usefull if you do video editing and such, this is where the hyper threading capability truly pays off.
Old November 4, 2011, 04:34 PM
Rookie

yeah that case looks pretty nice actually, is that the exact same one I picked or is that slightly different?

Alright I'm sold, Ill go Asus P8Z68-V Pro instead of the micro Maximus GENE-Z I was gunna buy before so I'll have more expansion slots for the future.

So that puts me at:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
CPU: i5 2500k
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970
PSU: Corsair AX850
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 2x4G 1600
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 600TM Mid-Tower Case
SSD: Corsair Force Series GT 60GB Sandforce

I believe this works. Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, much appreciated!

Last edited by porkpork; November 4, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old November 5, 2011, 08:58 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkpork View Post
And as for the other case, its sexy but has 9 built-in fans and I fear it will sound like a mini tornado =\
here's a review for HAF-932 case
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX case review > HAF 932 Internal Design - TechSpot Reviews

"All up the HAF 932 is a reasonably quiet case that moves a ton of air." <---- said in the review :P

so no need to worry about the case being a "mini tornado"

and just to let you know, you can plug fans on your Mobo and on your PSU.
that mean you SHOULD be able to plug the 9 possible fans ;P

-BR-
Old November 5, 2011, 11:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4ck_rainbow View Post
here's a review for HAF-932 case
Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower ATX case review > HAF 932 Internal Design - TechSpot Reviews

"All up the HAF 932 is a reasonably quiet case that moves a ton of air." <---- said in the review :P

so no need to worry about the case being a "mini tornado"

and just to let you know, you can plug fans on your Mobo and on your PSU.
that mean you SHOULD be able to plug the 9 possible fans ;P

-BR-
Actually after I've read that review the HAF is looking like a great case for me since I plan on future upgrades as it gives me the room for a cooling system later if needed. And I didnt know you could hook up fans directly to your PSU as well. Either way I misread it, because it says IF you replace the packaged larger fans with smaller fans you COULD have 9 fans. I think I might buy this actually, thanks for bring this to my attention.

Cheers.