Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2011, 10:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default Will I need to buy Windows again?

So I am replacing my Motherboard, RAM and CPU. I was reading a post somewhere on Toms that said the Windows key for an OEM Windows 7 one use version is tied to my Motherboard. Does this mean that evern though I am using the same harddrive which already has windows on it I will have to buy windows again?

As well do I have to re-install windows or can I just plug the old harddrive into the new Motherboard and flash it up?
Old October 31, 2011, 10:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a standard retail copy of Windows or was it an OEM Copy? If it was a standard retail copy you'll be fine, you may have to re-activate it using their phone activation service, though it's straight forward and painless (i've done it countless times on multiple systems through upgrading them)
Old October 31, 2011, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you should be fine. I have an OEM copy of W7 and i don't think I had any issues reactivating it on a different motherboard. If you type the key in, and it is rejected, just phone the automated number and when it asks you how many computers are using this copy of windows say 'one'. You should be fine.
Old October 31, 2011, 10:46 AM
Top Prospect

Ok, but I will need to do a complete fresh re-install well I? I have a WD back up 2 Tb drive so I am hoping once I re-install that software it should trasnfer back all of my pictures and such on to the drive if I have to re-install windows.

Oh and my windows is an OEM version.
Old October 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I know they did it with XP not sure with W7 (namely because I haven't had to do a re-install) but every 6 months they re-set the key so you could re-use.

A lot of people have had success with just un-installing the chipset drivers and board drivers and then putting in new hardware. That is one option, so long as you clean everything out.

Otherwise (the menthod I prefer) is to do a clean install on everything.
And yes, you can X-fer your pictures back and such once done.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 31, 2011, 11:03 AM
Top Prospect

Sounds good. Will save me having to re-install all of my games as well if I can return everything of the back up drive which will be nice:)
Old October 31, 2011, 11:09 AM
MVP

I have W7 OEM. Just changed mobo, did not reinstall W7. It still comes up with 'Needs To Be Activated'. Just pick phone activation, call the number, write down & enter the key they give you, say it's only installed on one computer, should activate and be fine going forward.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old October 31, 2011, 12:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Plug your existing drive that contains W7 into the new MB and it'll boot right up fine.
Old October 31, 2011, 12:36 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Plug your existing drive that contains W7 into the new MB and it'll boot right up fine.
Perfect!
Old November 2, 2011, 07:56 PM
Top Prospect

So I have installed my new Motherboard,CPU and Ram. When ever I start the computer it gets to the desktop and then shuts off and restarts. If I load it in safe nmode it will not do this. I tried to reinstall windows and it does the same thing as soon as it starts to load the screen goes black and everything starts again. I also thought it may new the new motherboards drivers first but it will not let me load them in safe mode and since it shuts down if it is not in safe mode I can not load it. Anyone have any ideas?