Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2011, 12:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Merged the threads.

To me it sounds like there are residual drivers that are still onboard that need to be nuked.

If you can get to safe mode make sure you install driver sweeper and nuke:

LAN Drivers
Audio Drivers
Chipset Drivers

And As SSwilson states check the BIOS settings too just in case.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 3, 2011, 08:50 PM
Top Prospect

Well I tried without the video card and with each stick of ram individually. No luck, the computer just kept shutting down, it would not let me reinstall windows either as it would just shut down. I called ncix and they think it may be the motherboard as when I bought it it said open box but turns out it was refurbished. I put my old rig back together and reinstalled windows and all of the drivers. Once the new motherboard gets here tomorrow I will try again. At least now I see how easy it is to put together a computer, first try yesterday I was pretty nervous but after taking it apart and putting it back together 3 times I feel pretty good lol! I will download that program for cleaning drivers on to a USB drive just in case as well. Sorry for the repost, someone said to start a new post so I did.
Old November 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
Top Prospect

Ok I just woke up, only 740 here and I just had an idea. My old boards power supply only had 4 pins to conect from my PSU, so I just used that same connector for the new board even though it has 8 pins. I just opened my case and saw my PSU does have a 8 pin connector that looks like it would work..............could this be causing my random shut downs as soon as the computer starts thinking?
Old November 4, 2011, 08:48 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
Ok I just woke up, only 740 here and I just had an idea. My old boards power supply only had 4 pins to conect from my PSU, so I just used that same connector for the new board even though it has 8 pins. I just opened my case and saw my PSU does have a 8 pin connector that looks like it would work..............could this be causing my random shut downs as soon as the computer starts thinking?
Does the 8Pin connector have EPS12V written on it? or is it Keyed the same way as the MB CPu Power slot?

Although unlikely, it is possible that your board required the 8pin to be plugged in to work.
I know some boards it was only optional (My older Evo's)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 4, 2011, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

I am out walking the dog so I cannot say what is written on it but I did check it to see if it matched the shape of he mother board slot and it was shaped to fit it. Maybe he z68 boards require all 8 pins to power the onboard video?
Old November 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
Top Prospect

So it still would not work. I put in the other new mb an Asus p67 rev 3.1 board and it would not work either. So I broke down and went to a comp store. With the Asus board the guy thinks the issue was the board was not running the gskill ram at the right timings. He manually inPut them and now it is running great! Probably was the same issue with the gigabyte board but who knows, I am not going to put it back in just to test it.