Go Back   Hardware Canucks > PC BUILDERS & TWEAKERS CORNER > New Builds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default ADVICE ON GAMING PC + MONITOR (1500-1600)

Hi fellas,

I've been using my 13inch laptop for gaming and i think i'm ready for an upgrade to a proper gaming pc now especially when the new shooters are coming out. Been away from the pc scene for quite a while so was hoping you guys can recommend the parts.

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. Gaming and some university work (general typing/printing)

2. What YOUR budget is. For PC alone, hopefully not above 1400 including tax but max is 1500 without monitor

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from. Canada, Vancouver

4. IF YOU have a brand preference. Well i did want to use AMD and i actually waited months for the bulldozer only to be disappointed so the intel 2500k for me. in terms of the other products, i dont have brand preference

5. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are. I have a Corsair A50 cooler that i bought from NCIX and its unopened

6. IF YOU have searched and/or read similar threads. I did post in the NCIX forums for a build but i am looking for a second opinion (hope u guys dont mind) but i am still grateful for the replies

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds. Never tried overclocking before so most likely default speeds which is why i probably wont need any

8. WHEN do you plan to build it? in less than a week's time. need a pc for BF3...

9. What resolution do you use? 1920 x 1080

Here's a guideline of what i've got so far:

Intel 2500k
Mobo : unsure (preferably one that has usb 3.0 and SLI/crossfire capablities but i will not be doin much overclocking so is P67 sufficient? and is there really a big difference between the brands?).
GPU : AMD 6970 2GB.
Hard Drive : Would like an SSD (maybe a 128GB m4) + 1TB hard drive (doesnt have to be WD's black caviar but somethin that would perform as well)
Ram : 8GB (unsure of which brand but preferably DDR3)
PSU: No idea but i was recommended the XFX 750W silver edition (modular). is there a big difference in the silver version/bronze/gold?
Case : With case, at first i was at the corsair 600t, fractal R3, the new Antec Solo 2, but now im trying to scringe every dollar for the ssd and gfx. so hopefully someone can recommend a silent and good case thats under the 100 dollar price range.

Hope to hear from your advice/recommendations soon!

Thanks for reading!
Old October 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Hey there, I'll see what I can recommend a little later (about to head out) but this case is what I am getting (USA version) Newegg.ca - Thermaltake Armor A90 Gaming Mid-Tower Chassis With Cable Management Water Cooling SSD Support And Tool-Less Installation VL90001W2Z It says $34 shipping for me right now but that's probably newegg doing calcs to get it to me in Virginia, USA :P
Old October 28, 2011, 11:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

CPU: i5 2500k
Motherboard: any z68 board from asus gigabyte or msi
Ram: any 8 GB kit will do (2x4GB) gskill, mushkin, are inexpensive
Video card: gtx 570 or 6970 any reference card will do.
Power supply: corsair, silver stone, antec, 750W will be fine for single video card configurations. Get gold ones cuz they run cool and are very efficient.
Case: cooler master haf xxx or something from corsair.

A setup like this will last you a while and wont break the bank. Probably $1000 for the above parts with price matching.
Old October 28, 2011, 01:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
CPU: i5 2500k
Motherboard: any z68 board from asus gigabyte or msi
Ram: any 8 GB kit will do (2x4GB) gskill, mushkin, are inexpensive
Video card: gtx 570 or 6970 any reference card will do.
Power supply: corsair, silver stone, antec, 750W will be fine for single video card configurations. Get gold ones cuz they run cool and are very efficient.
Case: cooler master haf xxx or something from corsair.

A setup like this will last you a while and wont break the bank. Probably $1000 for the above parts with price matching.
Pretty much what he said...